Insurance Company

Shanora

So a friend of mine was hit from behind about 2 weeks ago (I believe it was a parking lot, and the other person was backing out of their spot and hit them...so going like next to nothing). It was a tap basically. They hardly felt a thing. They have a Graco MR. She ended up calling me to find out about the whole car seat issue. I told them that because it a minor collision I'd still be 100% comfortable continuing to use the seat (I asked quite a few questions about the collision...and it was minor. I'll bet I'd have done more with my foot). She was good with that.

At any rate, she got a phone call today from the other person's insurance company (She didn't file a claim) and they want to replace her car seat. BUT they want ME to write up a letter stating that they should (because it was a collisions and they need to be replaced, blah blah blah), and they want a photo copy of my license.....:confused:

At any rate, I talked to my friend tonight, and asked her what she wanted me to do....I could easily write that all up for her, and she can get her seat replaced, and seeing as she's not sure what to do, I probably will write the letter, just so she has that option. But it seems such a waste to get rid of that seat, when there is nothing wrong with it...kwim.

So now my thing is, IF she decides to get a new seat, and the insurance company doesn't want the car seat, would it be bad for me to take it, and use it (knowing full well that its safe to use, and I trust her 110%) as back up...or to put my 4 year old rear facing (I've wanted to see how he would do rear facing, but not sure i could convince him to go rfing in a pink seat...lol). Or to just keep the cover (YAY Cover) and destroy the seat?

Also, what the heck am I supposed to put in the letter??? I hate writing things...

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Graco requires replacement after every crash. As a tech, you cannot recommend going against Graco's requirements.

I do think it would be unethical to use the seat if it has been paid for and totalled -- and the insurance company is likely to take it anyhow. Most people consider it acceptable to keep the cover.

BigDaddy

I, too, think that it is unethical to tell the insurance company that you think it is unsafe just to get a new one and then continue to use the old one. As a professional, it may be best to CYA by writing a letter stating Graco's replacement policy, and leaving out your personal opinion. If they replace it fine, if not then you haven't lied. Personally, if it gets replaced and you're certain that it is safe to use, then I don't see why you couldn't use it, yourself. I don't think that you should go against Graco's recommendation, and tell her it is safe to use, though. Obviously, this would be "do as I say and not as I do", but I think it would offer you the most protection legally. If some part of the seat failed in an accident, regardless of whether it was related to this incident or not, I guarantee that the thought would be there that it was your fault no matter how close of a friend she may be.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'll agree with BigDaddy who agrees with me, lol.

And from the tech standpoint -- we teach and advocate that no tech (or insurance adjuster) is qualified to declare a seat safe to use when the manufacturer requires replacement. Imagine the uproar if the shoe was on the other foot and an insurance company tech insisted that a seat was "safe" against the instructions in the manual? Of course you have every right to your own opinion, but I think it would be very poor practice -- and a poor precedent -- to declare the seat safe. Just write in the letter that Graco requires replacement after every crash and photocopy or cite the manual.

Shanora

Ok maybe I need to clarify a bit. When she called, I told her that Graco's replacement policy is to replace any seat after and collision. But myself personally, AS A PARENT, wouldn't replace the seat.

That being said, I will write the letter, and tell her that I can not advise her to go against Graco's policy. Cause I would feel absolutly horrible if the seat DID fail in another collision.

Thanks for your....uh....smarten the heck up talks...:lol: Some days I wonder if my brain is fully switched on!

Thanks everyone!

Shanora

This is what I wrote....sound good?

To Whom It May Concern:

Re: Replacement of Child Safety Restraints.
It states in the car seat owner’s manual that the child restraint needs to be replaced. Please note this quote from the manual “If Child restraint is in a crash, it must be replaces. DO NOT use it again! A crash can cause unseen damage and using it again could result in serious injury or death.”
It is in my professional opinion that this child restraint needs to be replaced. There is no way to tell if this seat will properly function in the event of another collision.

I have included a copy of the manual where it states the above quote, and a copy of my certification as a Child Restraint Safety Technician (CRST).

Please feel free to contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX if you have any questions
Sincerely,

Samantha Johnson
CRST

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am confused why the other person's insurance company wants YOU to write a letter. You weren't involved with this crash at all, correct? Are they just asking your opinion as a tech? and if so, why you and not any tech that they may have access to? I know that personally, I wouldn't be photocopying my driver's license to give to anyone unless I had a subpeona telling me I had to! I am just unsure why your friend can't just show the insurance company the manual herself where it states the car seat must be replaced if it was in a crash.

Shanora

LOL...not my drivers license, my Car seat tech certification. Sorry. I have no idea why they want me to write a letter or make a copy of that....*shrug*

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
LOL...not my drivers license, my Car seat tech certification. Sorry. I have no idea why they want me to write a letter or make a copy of that....*shrug*
Heh-heh, that makes more sense. I'd be asking the insurance company WHY they want this info from you before submitting anything. I wouldn't want to open myself up to any scrutiny when they don't need a letter from a tech, they just need to read the Graco manual (or have Graco send a letter confirming their policy as that makes much more sense).

autumnlily

I saw a typo in your quoted letter - it stated "replaces" where I believe it should state "replaced"...

I hope that helps and I think the letter is well done!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC