My RF 28mo old is stressing us out in the car!

mommyof3tx

I posted a couple weeks ago about having my almost 5yr old rf in our radian, 28mo rf in marathon and almost 7yr old in the nautilus. Well that wasn't working out, my 5yr old wasn't very comfy, he couldn't put his legs to the side and it limited what he could do and we decided to go ahead and put him back in his nautilus and almost 7yr old back to his booster. Well the Radian installs best in the middle position in our car so that's really the only option for where it can be. Our 28mo old is riding in it and OMG that child, he's something else. He's my one that likes to test absolutely everything, we call him a monster...for good reason lol. He doesn't listen very well at all yet, he's getting better but one big issue we have is he kicks his brothers seats and in the arm and got them in the face a couple times when he starts getting bored or annoyed in the car. I can tell him to stop...but well he's 2 and he doesn't listen and he doesn't do it. I can't reach him because the radian is so tall and he's so small I can reach his head but that's it. so I can't like hold his leg and make him stop. Any ideas???? I'm about ready to tie his legs to the car seat lol. My hubby is tempted to turn him FF though he never would without me agreeing, which won't happen. He's so tiny, only 25-26lbs dressed. Luckily he wears soft soled shoes or we'd really be in trouble but obviously I cant just let him abuse his brothers the whole time we're in the car

ADS

simplychels

There is somebody on the board, who I've seen say that she puts up a "divider" type thing to stop her children from fighting. I'm sure she'll chime in once she sees this with what exactly she uses, but its one heck of an idea

kathysr98

I think several people have used the flexible sunshade type things that have a wire 'frame' around the outside. They wedge them between the seats so no one can touch.

steph_s

I use a BIG divider in my car! I have had some really violent foster kids and they are not use to being in car seats at all! The sun shades are just too small and can easily be grabbed and kicked loose. If you go to walmart and go into their pet section you will see these folded up (in sort of a circle) dog crates. They are around $15. I have one of those cut apart and wedge that in between the sets. It's rather long and tall, but it helps A LOT! It goes between the seats all the way to the ceilings in my car! There are little holes in the mesh so it does help the air circulate but it's enough that they aren't tempted to kick, hit or throw things at each other. I can't promise that they won't still take their shoes off and try to throw it and have it hit them in the head (which has happened several times). Also the screaming when their own shoe comes back and smacks them is far worse than if they hit the other child so be prepared. They just don't like it when their plan backfires!

Is there a way to move the 7yo back in to the Nauti, the 5yo in the Radian ff and the little one back into the Ma? The radian is a low profile seat so it's easy to hit and kick when your inside that seat.

mommyof3tx

I use a BIG divider in my car! I have had some really violent foster kids and they are not use to being in car seats at all! The sun shades are just too small and can easily be grabbed and kicked loose. If you go to walmart and go into their pet section you will see these folded up (in sort of a circle) dog crates. They are around $15. I have one of those cut apart and wedge that in between the sets. It's rather long and tall, but it helps A LOT! It goes between the seats all the way to the ceilings in my car! There are little holes in the mesh so it does help the air circulate but it's enough that they aren't tempted to kick, hit or throw things at each other. I can't promise that they won't still take their shoes off and try to throw it and have it hit them in the head (which has happened several times). Also the screaming when their own shoe comes back and smacks them is far worse than if they hit the other child so be prepared. They just don't like it when their plan backfires!

Is there a way to move the 7yo back in to the Nauti, the 5yo in the Radian ff and the little one back into the Ma? The radian is a low profile seat so it's easy to hit and kick when your inside that seat.

You happen have pics showing it? I'm not completely sure what you're talking about, as far as the actual piece you use.

I might have to do that, moving the seats back around, I was hoping to sell my MA which is why I had taken it out of the mix but I can wait for awhile to do that

steph_s

I will try to get pictures later tonight (hopefully my stupid camera batteries will be charged by then I am having some major issues with it lately).

mommy-medic

Can you try this: Move the RFing one outboard. Put the 7 yo in Nautilus center and radian opposite outboard? Can you get it installed there at all? That way it's oldest vs youngest? Is the 7 yo mautre enough to hold his foot or forcefully tell him to stop without losing his cool? (i.e. don't put little napoleon RFing in the center with targets on each side.)
I have a little Napoleon myself- she will be 3 next month- and her sisters are 8 and 10. They are a tad older, but the oldest has to sit by the baby if I put them three across for this exact reason! She's a kicker too when she's mad- we learned quickly to remove her shoes too!

mommyof3tx

Yeah my oldest could hold him and make him stop. I can only do that if I put the Radian FF (and I'm not completely sure as I haven't installed it that way in the car but I'm sure it would do fine outboard FF, just not RF). The MA fits well RF behind the driver and when I have the MA in the nautilus only fits in the middle position well so that would work. As long as my DH doesn't mind holding off on selling the MA (that was my deal for buying the radian haha, since I got such a good deal on it, the XTSL for only $135)

That's another question, anyone know how much I could get for my MA when I do sell? It was bought in May 2008, I'll have to check the DOM but I would say no more than a couple months older than that.

steph_s

Pictures of the dog cage in between the car seats.
Jan10062.jpg

Jan10060.jpg

Sorry I used my dog's real travel cage and not the one that is torn apart, but you can see the mesh and once you cut it you can actually see through that mesh part to the other car seat and it isn't blue through there.

Folded up (this is how it will come from the store) It's in a small plastic bag.
Jan10057.jpg

It's called a sport pet dog kennel. Walmart has them and so does Target (although Target is $10 more expensive).

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC