Question Need to do 3 across in 04 Honda Pilot, 08 Honda Accord and 09 Jeep Compass - need advice!

U

Unregistered

I will soon need to install 3 across in the following vehicles:
1) 04 Honda Pilot (has LATCH outboard but not center)
2) 08 Honda Accord (not sure of LATCH configuration)
3) 09 Jeep Compass (also not sure of LATCH configuration)

The seats I currently own (and am hoping to somehow use to accomplish this) are:
1 Radian 65
4 Radian XTs
1 Britax MA
1 Graco Snugride (the original, not the 32 lb capacity version) + 2 extra bases
1 Graco Turbobooster

The two non-infant children involved are both FF and well within the height/weight limits for any of the seats (except, obviously, the Snugride) so at least I do have some flexibility there HOWEVER within the next year one or both of them could hit the 40 lb LATCH weight limit for the Hondas (they are currently 36 and 37 lbs)

I've been reading through a ton of posts here and am feeling a little overwhelmed...it sounds like getting a good lap/shoulder belt install on the RNs is going to be a challenge. Does anyone have any advice on how to best configure these seats in these vehicles?

Thanks!!!!

ADS

rodentranger

Three across in the Pilot shouldn't be a problem, but I couldn't install a ff Radian in mine for anything.
What are the ages, weights and heights of the kids in question?

U

Unregistered

Sorry...a few more details I realized I should have included:

The Accord is a 4-door sedan.

The kids involved are:
1) DD, almost 6, 37 lbs and maybe 44 in (pretty tiny for age), currently FF in Radian in all vehicles
2) DS1, 4, 36 lbs and 41 in (avg for age), currently FF in Radian or Marathon depending on vehicle
3) DS2, arriving soon (and prompting this crisis!)

Obviously the baby needs to be in the Snugride, but the other 2 could go in any combo of the Radians & Marathon. I prefer not to put either of the older ones in a booster on a regular basis, but they don't ride in the Accord (DH's car) very often so I'd be ok with having DD in a booster in that car if necessary to make everything fit.

I'm not all that concerned about the Pilot b/c I can always use the 3rd row if needed, if I can't get a secure seatbelt install on any of the seats in the 2nd row middle (my first attempt with the Snugride there was not a success but I've set aside some time - and patience - to give it another try on Saturday). My bigger concerns are the Accord & the Compass, since there's no 3rd row option in those vehicles. I am getting worried, though, about the long-term sustainability of using the RNs in the Pilot because once DD & DS reach the 40 lb LATCH limit for that car, it sounds like the belt install is a real challenge...would love to know about any other narrow seats people have installed with success in the Pilot using lap/shoulder belt...

TIA and sorry for the long post!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Accord has LATCH outboard. The Jeep has LATCH outboard, but the center two anchors can be used with flexible LATCH anchor straps, provided the carseat allows for nonstandard and center use. Which the Radians don't. Britax does, and Graco would really you rather not.

However, in your Accord your LATCH is so offset behind the driver that it's nearly impossible to do a three across with LATCH. You'll want to use the seatbelt so you can move the seats closer to the door.

I'd try the Snugride on the side in the Accord, the Radian in the middle, and then the booster on the side with only one buckle. Whichever side that is. That way you don't have to worry about your DD unbuckling the carseat next to her. Put the Snugride on the side with the two buckles.

In the primary car between the Pilot and Jeep I'd do the infant outboard in the Snugride, then two Radians forward facing next to one another. If that doesn't work try the baby in the middle between the two Radians.

Then in the third car I'd do a forward facing Radian for the six year old outboard, the forward facing Marathon for the four year old, then a rear facing Radian for the newborn.

That'd be my first attempt for each car. I think I counted your seats right. LOL

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much! I will try this configuration first. I actually have a babysitter coming on Saturday morning so that I can spend as much time as I need to getting this figured out. I want to leave myself enough time to make an appt to have a tech check everything in all 3 cars before the baby makes his debut next month...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You're in luck. There's at least one tech from the board who is in your area.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135&highlight=technician

Not just any tech, but the founder of the board. :)

That's going to be a lot of seats. As a tech, may I suggest making two appointments. LOL Or three. It's not just sticking a hand in there and wiggling. Especially with a three across, it's pulling them out, making sure each is independent, that the harnesses and straps are routed properly, etc. For me for one seat in one car we're looking at a half hour for a fast check. Nine seats in three cars? It's a couple of hours.

And you're doing all of this eight months pregnant? :bow: You sure you're not a tech or something? I did one three across check around eight months pregnant (the mom and I were due 12 days apart), and I was SO SORE the next day. LOL

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the tip about scheduling multiple appointments - I think I will focus on getting things settled in the primary car for now (the Pilot) and the others can I get figured out later if needed.

I've always had great luck getting rock-solid LATCH installs with a variety of seats RF and FF in all 3 of these cars, but I'm very inexperienced with lap/shoulder belt installs (which I've accepted are now going to be an inevitable part of my life) so I've been trying to read up on all the different tips that are suggested in the various threads here and not let myself get too intimidated...wish me luck!!!

Yes, doing this while 8 months pregnant is definitely NOT the way to go, LOL! Unfortunately my "denial of impending childbirth" phase lasted unusually long with this pregnancy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC