Should we buy a convertible now or later?

U

Unregistered

We currently have a Graco Infant Snugride. DD is 6 mo, 15 lbs. and 26". I've been researching convertibles and we've decided to get the Safety 1st Complete Air. We could use a 20% off coupon from Toys R Us if we bought it now but I wonder if we shouldn't wait. DD still has a little while before she'll outgrow the Snugride by both height and weight. I know that I will feel more comfortable when she's in the Safety 1st (the side protection was a big selling point for me) but I certainly don't feel like she is *unsafe* in the Snugride. I hope I am making sense. My question is...should we go ahead and buy the Safety 1st or wait until DD is closer to meeting the height or weight limit in the Snugride?

Thanks for your help!

ADS

soygurl

Do you use the bucket out of the car often? Do you live in a cold climate (where it's nice to be able to safely bundle your DD up in the bucket with blankets (remember you should never use thick or puffy coats or snow suits in the car seat!), before taking her out to the car?
You're right, she's not unsafe in the bucket. If you don't plan on using the convertable for quite a while, you might want to wait to buy it because you'll probably want to get the full 6 years use out of it before it expires instead of having it sit around unused, getting old.
ETA: Oops! I totally forgot that the Complete Air has an 8 year life span. Disregard the above. (I'm totally fired! :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, 20% off is a very good deal. The "Harvest" is currently only $199 at Babies R Us. That would make it $160! I don't think you'll get a better deal than that! And with an 8 year expiration, it expiring before she outgrows it is not really an issue... I'd lean toward getting it. :)

soygurl

Well, 20% off is a very good deal. The "Harvest" is currently only $199 at Babies R Us. That would make it $160! I don't think you'll get a better deal than that! And with an 8 year expiration, it expiring before she outgrows it is not really an issue... I'd lean toward getting it. :)

:doh: I forgot the CA has an 8 year expiration! Disregard my previous post! :thumbsup:

swtgi1982

Do you use the bucket out of the car often? Do you live in a cold climate (where it's nice to be able to safely bundle your DD up in the bucket with blankets (remember you should never use thick or puffy coats or snow suits in the car seat!), before taking her out to the car?
You're right, she's not unsafe in the bucket. If you don't plan on using the convertable for quite a while, you might want to wait to buy it because you'll probably want to get the full 6 years use out of it before it expires instead of having it sit around unused, getting old.

The complete Air is an 8yr seat, I checked mine that I have Made July 09 good til Dec 2017 it says

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC