what is *the* easiest convertible to install

mamahen

So now that I've got the one-seat-for-every-vehicle love, I'm looking in to what seat to get for grandmas car. She has a newer (maybe 07 or 08) Toyota Highlander. Grandma and grandpa are teachable, but I want something super easy especially since grandma has some strength and balance issues.

DS is 20 weeks, 18+ lbs, 26.5 in. We just got a MR but I think I'm going to use that for DH's vehicle and get a CA or TFP for mine.

ADS

armywife12

I've installed a como, marathon, true fit, myride, scenera, triumph advance, and a tribute. Out of those seats, the myride is the easiest for me with the marathon at a close second.

kittykate

For us, in our vehicles ('05 Elantra, '08 Versa and grandpa's '09 Yaris) the Marathon, hands down. (I've installed a Marathon, True Fit, True Fit Premier, Scenera, Evenflo Triumph, Evenflo Triumph Advance and a Radian80 rear facing in most of those cars.)

Even my frail 71 year old FIL can get a good install with the Marathon using LATCh. Its the only seat he can install by himself.

monstah

Marathon.

If you needed to install with a seatbelt, there are other contenders. Not if you are using LATCH.

natysr

The seat I was thinking of, I've only installed on a test bench. But, provided that it is fully compatible with grandma's car, I'm thinking the Symphony, since it is basically self-tightening. It has the same type of latch connectors that the marathon does, then you just push on the seat and it ratchets itself tight.

Do remember though, there is "ease of install" to deal with, and "ease of use".

Theoretically, grandma could leave the seat installed all the time and not need to install it very frequently, but she will have to deal with "ease of use" each and every time she puts your baby in.

So, that being said, I would probably try to narrow down the selection to 2-3 seats, then take grandma and grandpa with me to the store to see which ones THEY think are easiest to use.

Because really, "ease of install" and "ease of use" sometimes just boils down to personal preference.

arly1983

Marathon gets easiest install.

My mom loves the knobs on the EFTA, go figure. She would probably shot me if I ever took that seat away. She can install it very well too now (1.5 yrs after she first got it).

Last edited:

Heather86

Because really, "ease of install" and "ease of use" sometimes just boils down to personal preference.

I agree.

I've installed a Marathon,Myride,Avenue,Scenera,Triumph advance,Cosco hbb,Safeseat 2,and a regent

I prefer the Myride with the Marathon second and then the Avenue. As pp said if it isn't going to be moved then ease of install while important isn't as important as a tight install and a seat that is easy enough to use correctly every time (buckle,tighten harness,ect...)

mamahen

Good ideas about ease of use vs install. Ill tlk with her today and see if she'd be willing to leave it installed. Thanks!!

aclayton74

I've installed a Roundabout, Marathon, Decathlon, Boulevard, Radian, Scenera and a True Fit. And for me the MA/BLVD/DC has been the easiest.

emandbri

I'd say marathon as well. I am not happy with the rf install of the my ride in my sienna and I bet it is similar to the highlander. I can get it tight forward facing.

IMO the RA and MA are the winners on fast, solid and simple installs. I have yet to have trouble installing any britax convertible actually. I guess the BLVD is included also but my favorite install has to be the RA...I think it takes me 30 seconds to install RFing in my car these days as I take it out and install it so often...I keep the RF tether on the seat track at all times and bring the seat in the house if I know I won't be needing it for a few days :love:

To be fair there are a few seats I haven't installed though such as the MyRide. I found the SS1 to be an awesome fast seatbelt install also.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I have a Marathon as the Grandma seat. I actually feel really badly about it - they had the Uptown that they used for close to a year before they mentioned to me how hard it was to buckle her in correctly. turns out, they had trouble with the crotch buckle, and were TOTALLY confused by the continuous harness (they kept complaining that one side would be too tight, so they would loosen the harness, only then the other side had about 4 inches of slack...). I traded the Marathon, and they RAVE about the thing. My grandfather (in his 70s) can install it no problem. And I never worry about the chest clip anymore because of the HUGS - it doesn't slip around as much, so they just leave it in the same place all the time.

abigaylebelle

My parents use a roundabout. It's easy to install with latch and the button adjuster is very nice. They didn't like the harness on the ss1 as much.

Splash

Marathon/BV with LATCH RF or FF, TrueFit with belt RF, MA/BV or TF with belt FF. Nautilus also is super easy, but of course FF only.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Wanted to warn you that many Toyotas tend to have far-ish back, little-slitted LATCH anchors and deeply contoured seats, which make for a bad time with the Symphony's LATCH.

kathysr98

Wanted to warn you that many Toyotas tend to have far-ish back, little-slitted LATCH anchors and deeply contoured seats, which make for a bad time with the Symphony's LATCH.

:yeahthat:

And be prepared to need to pull the seat fabric off of the LATCH anchor as well. I had to do this in my SIL's Highlander, and my BFF's Corolla. Aparently Toyota just puts them in there, they don't really expect you to use them! In both cases the seat cover for the bottom of the seat was installed where it covered the LATCH anchor. I had to stretch it out away from the seat bight, and then pull it down under the LATCH anchor.

Niea

Out of the convertibles I've owned (Roundabout, Boulevard, Decathlon, True Fit, Scenera), the Britax ones have been the easiest. My parents use a RFing Roundabout for DS and my dad can it it in there perfect in under a minute.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would go My Ride and MA for easiest to install. MA would not be top 5 for ease of day to day use though due to the tightening mechanism on the harness.

The EFTA isn't hard to install aside from there not being as much of a tail on the LATCH belt to pull when tightening. Ease of use it definitely wins there if they find the knobs easy enough to operate. Though it depends on what position it's installed in in the corolla - I think the knobs can be an issue in the outboard position.

:yeahthat:

And be prepared to need to pull the seat fabric off of the LATCH anchor as well. I had to do this in my SIL's Highlander, and my BFF's Corolla. Aparently Toyota just puts them in there, they don't really expect you to use them! In both cases the seat cover for the bottom of the seat was installed where it covered the LATCH anchor. I had to stretch it out away from the seat bight, and then pull it down under the LATCH anchor.

Toyota puts slits up about 1.5" above the seat bite that are meant for you to put the anchor in through and then push down towards the anchor. Not all their vehicles are like that, but if you're talking about the seat cover like that, I'm guessing that was one of them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC