can I take an extra carseat on the plane?

jnamommy

I will be traveling in the next month or so to see extended family. I would like to take an extra Radian, to give to my cousin (in addition to my own kids and their seats). Is there a safe way to do this (ie without checking it)? Can I fold the Radian and store it in the overhead bin? Does anyone know if it will fit there?

thanks

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It should. What airline are you flying? My cousin's wife just flew with their 2 kids and 2 seats. She used one seat for the older one, but the baby was a lap baby. She carried the Radian on folded, and put it in the overhead bin. No one said a peep and it fit. :)

Eclipsepearl

I'm pretty sure it'll be over the carry-on limit. It's kind of a tall seat.

You can also keep it sealed in the original box and check it this way. This is usually the only recommended way to transport car seats. The Radian is also steel and less likely to be damaged. The baggage handlers can clearly see that it's a car seat and hopefully wont toss it. The risk of it being 're-routed' are still there but since I assume the cousin doesn't need it at the airport right away, as those of us do who are arriving with our children.

This is how I had my Radian brought to me. My friend was flying with two children and she promised to keep it closed. She was flying alone with two children under stressful circumstances and I was just so grateful to get it over to Europe. My youngest had outgrown her seat and we didn't have a trip to the U.S. planned soon enough.

The box was in good shape when it arrived so I assumed the seat was okay.

Bringing it on board is better, if you can manage it but there is so little space these days, with people trying to avoid baggage charges. Be very careful with it if placed in an overhead bin. It's 25lbs that can come down on someone's head. Push it all the way to the back and try to have it above your own seat. If it's somewhere else, please warn those near by.

You're nice to be willing to do this! So perhaps keep the box, so you can send it down with it inside if you have to gate-check it or the agent says it's too big to bring to the gate.

I once took a car seat on board while working as a Flight Attendant. It was rather amusing for the rest of the crew. I think I stowed it in the crew rest area. "Hey, where's the kid??" It was also funny at Babys-R-Us when they wanted me to drive over and pick it up. I was on a layover. No car. Ummm...you're buying a car seat and you don't have a car?!? Then she gets on the phone "Yeah, this lady's buying a car seat...without a car so you'll have to bring it on to the floor..." Then I told her, I'm here from France and flying to Frankfurt that evening as a working crew member. Then she lightened up, not really sure to believe me...

So hopefully the flight isn't full. Be really nice to all the ground agents and crew and see how far you can get with it! Good luck!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'd fold it up and put it in my actual suitcase. That should protect it from abuse and you won't have to drag it through the airport. Otherwise, check the carry-on limit and go from there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No one checked at all to see if the Radian my cousin's wife took was over the limit. They have also regularly carried on guitars, which ARE often over the limits, and no one has ever said boo. Maybe it depends on airline?

jnamommy

I will be traveling Allegiant, flying out of Phoenix/Mesa. I have other quesitons too, about Allegiant and carseats (for my own kids), but that will be a whole other post!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC