CPS Questions and a couple car seat questions

JakeandBugsMom

Hi
How do I go about becoming a CPS Tech? I looked in my area and there doesn't seem to be any classes coming up. I also went to the DMV website and they just said TBA. Am I out of luck until something comes up?

Are there presenters that go to elementary schools and do demos on booster seats? We're having an issue with that right now at my dd's school and I'd like to shed a little light if possible :)

Also I have a 3 1/2 year old, 37lbs, 42 inches, 15 inch torso boy. Right now his Eddie Bauer harnesses to 40lbs, and I know better than to let him use the belt positioner now...so am I probably looking at an Apex or Regent? I drive a Ford Escape 4dr.

Thanks in Advance!

Stacey in NE

Jacob 6-25-03 37 lbs, 42 inches, 15 inch torso
Danielle 9-30-98 57 lbs, 52 inches, 17 inch torso

ADS

JakeandBugsMom

Thanks. Several techs in the area, most at hospitals and police depts. No classes listed though :(

I am determined to do this and raise awareness. I will keep watching for classes in my state.

Stacey

LuvBug

the apex and regent take up the same amount of space, so I would go with which one you can afford. The regent will harness him much longer, so if you want to harness as long as possible go with that.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sorry I missed your last question before....

Both the Apex & Regent install nicely in the Escape & both are quite wide: if you install in the center both outboard seats will be pretty much useless -- if you install outboard the center seat will be useless (except for a really skinny adult!)

The Apex is a fine choice if you cannot afford the Regent, but the Regent feels much sturdier in comparison & the harness fits longer. I have both & we prefer the Regent as the primary seat, but the Apex is better for travel.

When kiddo outgrows the Apex harness, there are more dedicated boosters that I prefer (deeper head wings are safer in side impact collisions).

scatterbunny

Ditto everyone's thoughts so far. :) The Apex will work in a vehicle with high seatbacks or headrests, so if you will move the seat from vehicle to vehicle, you may want to consider another seat, or the Apex as the main seat and a different seat for travel/carpool. The Regent is a big, heavy seat, but it does not require high seatbacks, but it does require a top tether after 50 pounds. My dd is 5.5 and in a Husky, the precursor to the Regent. She outgrew the Eddie Bauer/3-in-1 seats at 2.5 years old by height.

Your son has outgrown his current seat if his shoulders are above the top slots. If this is a model that adjusts harness height by raising or lowering a headrest, the very top headrest setting is only for booster mode, to raise the headrest higher in booster mode. So the second-to-top headrest setting is the highest harness setting.

JakeandBugsMom

He is at the top notches now. I just moved them up, as I am quickly becoming more educated on the PROPER ways to use a carseat/booster.

Thank you all. I am on my way to BRU to play with them!!

Stacey

Amaris

Bumping up......isn't the eddie bauer the one where you can't use the top slots for anything but the headrest in booster mode?????

JakeandBugsMom

This particular Eddie Bauer (it is not a 3 in 1) has slots at the top for the carseat harness. It is an older (probably 2005) seat, internal harness to 40lbs.

Not sure if that answers your question, but I pulled the manual out just to be sure I could put the harness 1 more slot up. This one also doesn't have the adjustable headrest thing.

Stacey

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Bumping up......isn't the eddie bauer the one where you can't use the top slots for anything but the headrest in booster mode?????
There's lots of "Eddie Bauers", and only the ones with the harness that adjusts with the headrest (the 3-in-1) can't be used in the topmost slot with the harness. The "High Back Booster" is fine to use the top harness slot, you have to move the harness like a regular seat, and they are both (or all, for some other models) reinforced for harness use. It's a pity Dorel won't name their seats more clearly (or, duh, allow top slots to be used with harnesses...or is that a whole 'nother gripe? :p )

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LOL ... same here -- I was so frustrated when my Apex was labled "Alpha Elite" :rolleyes: They are purposely trying to confuse us! :p

Amaris

I have a friend who had her son in one of their seats, but please don't ask me which one!!! It was one of the ones that turned into a booster and couldn't be used with the top slots, and she had him in the top slots. After reading that you couldn't do that I mentioned it to her so she got out her manual and was going what in the world!! Why have them if you can't use them. Her son had outgrown his seat a few months earlier, at about 2.5 years old :eek: Thankfully he's now in a marathon and will be for some time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC