latch on graco nautilus

alake

Sorry if the spelling is incorrect! This maybe a very stupid question. My friend has two GN's for her two little girls. She uses the Latch system to install them. I usually do the install. I can get the seat that is behind the drive seat in tight, I am right handed. I don't have much strength in my left arm, and have a hard time tightening the seat that is behind the passengers seat. Are you able to switch the latch belts so that the tightening side is on the right side, or does it have to come out of the left side?? Thanks

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The LATCH anchors need to have the heavy part of the hook/connector on top. If they are coming out on opposite sides of the same model seat, I'd say one is already wrong... Make sure they are untwisted and threaded correctly.

mommy-medic

I think she is asking about the actual adjuster piece that shortens the latch strap- that little metal assembly you pull the slack through. (you mean take the latch strap out and turn it around so that the adjuster is on the right instead of the left end of that strap, right?) As long as the latch anchors are right side up and the strap isn't twisted, and it isn't prohibited in the manual I don't see why not. You will have to thoroughally check it though because there should be a short strap in the center somewhere physically connecting the latch strap to the car seat (part of fmvss213 requirements) so you probably won't be able to fully remove the latch strap. I wouldn't want to get that twisted or tangled so it may not be physically possible. Someone please correct me if this is not allowed.

And after re-reading I see what Ketchup means- both seats should have the adjuster either to the right or to the left, so that you have to pull them both the same direction..... Is this not the case?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You will have to thoroughally check it though because there should be a short strap in the center somewhere physically connecting the latch strap to the car seat (part of fmvss213 requirements) so you probably won't be able to fully remove the latch strap. I wouldn't want to get that twisted or tangled so it may not be physically possible. Someone please correct me if this is not allowed.

I wouldn't worry about the connector piece being twisted as long as the LATCH strap itself lies flat.

Like the others said, as long as the LATCH strap itself is flat and the hooks have the thick part on top, I don't think it matters what side the adjuster is on. That said, I haven't used LATCH on a Nautilus in a long time to know if that's even possible.

Kat_Momof3

I'm 99.9% sure it has to come out that side.

BUT... it should be the same on both seats... sounds like the other seat has them switched, which means the latch strap is twisted, most likely, or has the strap that connects it to the seat under it, which could be dangerous.

armywife12

If you switch the sides, the LATCH straps will be upside down, meaning it is not installed correctly. It doesn't matter what the seating position is, the LATCH strap should be the same in all of them, so the side you pull on will be the same for all installations. I don't understand why you can't pull with your good hand regardless of which side it comes out on though. I always do. Most of the time I use both hands while putting my knee into the seat during the last few tugs to get it nice and tight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC