Spica cast and EZ-On Modified Vest

brookity

DD fractured her femur yesterday and was casted with a spica cast today. She is essentially flat on her back with a little bend at her knee. I know that she won't fit in her TF or GN so the hospital is letting us use an EZ-On modified vest. It looks fairly safe but I'm a little weary. We live 2 hours away from the hospital and doctors so we have to have something safe for her when we have to go back and forth. Is this something that we can be safe with or should we look into something else? Thanks!

ADS

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Well, first of all, I'm sorry to hear about the fracture. That's no fun :( It looks like your daughter is about 3 and 34lbs non-casted weight?
There is a seat called the Hippo by SafeSeat that your daughter *should* in theory fit into. It's a special needs seat that is about $700, so it's not something you would want to purchase. Where do you live? Some local safekids coalitions have access to this seat to be loaned to families.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What kind of car do you have? Do you have reclining captains' chairs? One thing they were doing down in my Instructor's area that was mentioned at my tech class, was using the SafeGuard Go. They'd install it with LATCH and tether, and then recline the seat as much as they needed to fit the kid into it. It's a little against the instructions (they say no more than a 35 degree angle), but fits a lot more kids than the Hippo and is more readily available. I'd probably consider it when the other option was the EZ-On, which I would use as a last resort kind of thing.

brookity

I am in Chicago and unfortunately I don't have reclining seats. She is being discharged from the hospital in the morning so we will have to use the Ez-on tomorrow but hopefully we can find something before we need to drive back in to Chicago in two weeks. How do I find out if our safekids has a hippo available? She has a very short torso so she should still fit in most harnessed seats just fine. Thanks again for the help.

brookity

Thanks again for your help. We were able to obtain a Hippo through the hospital where she had the procedure done. The people from Safekids didn't even know that we were there and once I contacted them they were wonderful in helping us fit and install the seat. Next time we are in the car I will get pics!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC