TFP owners, I need help please. Deciding between TFP, Radian80, MR65

GA Mom

Hello! I am in the middle of the "research" part of buying a convertible seat. I have spent a LOT of time reading all your expert opinions. Thank you! It is for my daughter, age 7 months, who is going to need it soon (she's in an infant carrier by Graco, Snugride now). I am new to the idea of ERF, but am game to do it for my littlest blessing. I have a 2001 Sienna van, this seat has to be installed in a captains chairs, due to other children, most likely right behind the driver's seat.

What is important to me:

1. Legroom. I have long-torsoed kids, but since I'm new to ERF, the more legroom the better, please.

2. Crotch room. My kids also have generous bottoms and will need some depth before the crotch strap/buckle. I am REALLY unhappy with the idea of the buckle being uncomfortable. I have read how it cannot be at their tummies, but to have it kinda high/comfortable is vital to me.

**Because of factors one and two, I've ruled out Britax seats.

What is the crotch buckle like with the True Fit Premier???? I wish it came with a buckle cover/belly pad thingy. It doesn't show one in any photos or descriptions but in the review done by MurphyDog 77 back in June '09, she says "The True Fit Premier comes with an infant body support cushion, buckle cover, a head bolster, harness strap covers, and a cupholder."

3. I would also like Nice padding for the child. I am not as particular about the pattern/fashion. I am concerned that the Cranberry TFP will be super hot in our southern climate??

4. Easy to use - I hear lots of complaining about adjusting the straps on the TF rear facing because the design puts it into the seatback. With the TFP the rebound bar keeps it far enough back to access the strap, apparently?

Any experience with how the TFP would fit in my car? I can't see any True Fit's near me. Not at ToysRUs, Not at the two Targets I called. The closest BabiesRUs is about 100 miles away...

I also have considered a Radian 80 in Princess (someone has it for $191 even with shipping, not the superlatch one though). I like that the Radian has the option of a longer crotch piece available through Sushine Kids. I also understand it has great leg room RFing. Don't know about the install feasiblilty in my car (and any other cars we might use/buy down the road!?!?) and comfort for baby, though. Any thoughts for Radian 80 vs. TFP in Cranberry.

The wildcard I haven't ruled out yet is Graco's My Ride 65. The padding on the Walmart MR65 is thin but the Target pattern of MR65 is much nicer/thicker in the seat. From the threads I have read, since my kids tend to have long torsos, average weights the My Ride might not have the height I need?

So if anyone is able to please give me your two cents on the pros/cons of these three: TFP in Cranberry, the Radian 80 in Princess, or the My Ride which is available in my local stores. I really do appreciate it!!

ADS

mamadelbosque

Well I only had a radian for like a day cause' I just couldn't get it to fit in my car (99 accord) w/o making the front passenger seat utterly unusable - there was just no way, no matter how upright I got it, it was just tooo wide. I liked it though! Seemed very nice - I had the XTSL, but honestly if I ever bought another I'd just get the 65 - the head wings kinda seemed gimmicky and flimsy.

I got my TFP from albeebaby yesterday... and honestly, if I could go back in time, I'd just order another evenflo triumph advance (DS1's carseat which I *LOVE*). I'm honestly playing with that idea as it is, and sticking the TFP in DH's car.

We don't have latch and using the lock-offs was a major pita - I *much* prefer just locking my seat belt and doing it that way. It is nice & tall, but it takes up a good 1-2" of space than my triumph and so the front passenger seat is still sorta squished. And as long as you have it at 35 vs 45* angle, having the head rest be removable is totally useless - it takes up no more or less space. Once you have it installed adjust the harness is a pita - its not un-doable, but its definetly not super easy either. It is very heavily padded though, and it does have a crotch protector thing though too. And the cover seams super easy to get on/off (just buttons) Good luck!!

mommaceleste

GA Mom, I could have written your post! I just posted similar questions yesterday and got some great information. You may want to read mine too it's title says convertible seats for Triplets or something, can't remember what I called it. Anyway, good luck in your search. This is a lot more work than I remember when looking for 1 seat for my first born! Oh, and we have a 7 passenger Sienna too! I look forward to reading responses to your post.

Kat_Momof3

you know, I think for you, the evenflo triumph advance or the Radian would be the best choice... both offer the most crotch and leg room of the seats you are considering. (not just legroom)

armywife12

I don't have the TFP but I have the regular TF. I also have the Radian XTSL and the Graco MyRide. All offer plenty of leg room for ERF. The Radian offers the most, with the TFP and MyRide right behind it and pretty much even with each other(with my son anyways). I have found that all 3 have pretty generous crotch buckles but, out of the 3, the Radian and the MyRide are a bit longer than the TF. I am pretty sure this is the same for the TFP. I am not sure if the TFP is sold with a belly pad but I am almost positive that I have heard of them having it and customers have recieved them after asking about it. My son hasn't really shown a preference for any of these seats. He seems to like them all equally so I don't think lack of comfort is an issue with any of them. My XTSL and memory foam in the seat but I'm not sure if the older Radians have it as well. My son is comfortable in a Cosco scenera as well, which has no padding, so I'm not sure that really helps.

The front harness adjuster is easy as pie to reach on the Radian. It is a little bit farther forward on the MyRide but still easy to access at an upright angle. The TF's front harness adjuster gets more difficult to reach as the seat is more upright but it's never been impossible for me to reach. In my van, it was really easy because all I had to do was recline the seat back and reach it when I wanted to adjust the harness. Since I didn't adjust the harness every time I took him out of the seat, I didn't have to mess with the harness adjuster unless his belly grew. I have heard that this problem isn't as bad with the Premier though.
As far as overall user friendliness, I find that the MyRide is the easiest seat I've ever had, easier than the Marathon we had even. It is by far the easiest to install out of the 3 you are researching. The True Fit was the second easiest and the Radian is a PITA...lol...but I love the seat. When I install the Radian with LATCH, it's pretty easy.

The only seat I've installed in a Sienna is a Scenera and that wasn't much trouble at all. I have no idea how these seats will do in your vehicle but I have yet to have a problem installing the TF or the MyRide in the multiple vehicles I have had them in. Since I just bought the XTSL, I've only tried it in one vehicle, my CX-7.

Even for long torsoed children, the MyRide will get them close to 3 yrs old RF. It also depends on how long long torsoed really is. My 29 month old has a 14.5-14.75 inch torso, which I consider on the long side, and you can see in my siggy how he currently fits in the MyRide. He'll fit close to 3 yrs old in it, if not all the way to 3 yrs old. The TF and the Radian are best for super long torsoed children though. Looking at height alone, my son would be able to reach close to 4 yrs old RF in both seats. Since he is over 35lbs, he is no longer able to RF in the TF though.

I hoped this has helped out a little bit. Do you live in Ga? I'm guessing you do based on your SN. I'm in Savannah, Ga and would be more than happy to show you my seats so you can see which ones would work better for your child and vehicle.

GA Mom

Thank you so much for all your help, everyone! Armywife12, yes I do live in GA, in Warner Robins (near Macon), so a long way away. But you are SOOO nice to offer letting me check out your seats. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC