Good news I don't have to worry about H buying used harness

remken

He's not fixing up his landcruiser this yr. He decided that he wanted a motorcycle instead. He got a 2007 honda shadow instead. For now I wont allow the kids on it, not sure if they ever will be. Wich h isn't pushing me on since I actualy let him get a bike in the first place. None of his co-workers wives would let their husbands get a motorycle.

ADS
That's great about the carseat! I'll bet he's thrilled with his new bike, though!

Why is it that many wives don't "allow" their husbands to own motorcycles? Financially I can understand it, if you need a practical vehicle and can't afford several, a bike is not going to meet many families' needs. I don't get why it's such a big deal for some though. :confused:

Someone who's forbidden their hubby/SO from owning a bike, clue me in please!

hsjwmom

I haven't quite "forbidden" it, but... (this is SOOOO mean) I told him fine, as long as he had a good life insurance policy.

My half-sister's uncle died in a motorcycle accident, a good friend of my family had a horrific accident DAYS after getting one... there are too many examples.

I have no qualms about dh's riding abilities, he rode for years when he was younger. My problem is with all the OTHER drivers. The ones who don't watch out for motorcycles. If you get in a fender bender with a car, no big deal...Not so with a motorcycle.

He will probably end up with one eventually, but (Again, very mean) at least his family will be taken care of in the event of an accident.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I've forbidden it.

Dh used to have a motorcycle. He was stationed in San Diego while in the Navy then brought it home after he was done. Took only 3mo until he was forced off the road and wrapped himself around a telephone pole. He still doesn't know how he ended up that way! Woke up in the hospital w/ a concussion and a totally smashed up helmet.

I tell him all the time... it isn't that I don't trust him to drive one safely...I don't trust all the other yahoos out there driving around. And now that he has a wife and two children, it isn't the right time for him to take that kind of chance.

He grew up w/ motorcycles, his stepfather had them and now both he and his stepbrother still do. I think that if he REALLY wanted one we would talk about it more but he doesn't so he won't press the issue.

southpawboston

Why is it that many wives don't "allow" their husbands to own motorcycles? Financially I can understand it, if you need a practical vehicle and can't afford several, a bike is not going to meet many families' needs. I don't get why it's such a big deal for some though. :confused:

Someone who's forbidden their hubby/SO from owning a bike, clue me in please!

i can totally understand the practicality aspect of a motorcycle: you get to creep ahead of stop-and-go urban traffic (legally!), you can park it anywhere, and it's more efficient thatn even a hybrid car. but on the down side, you are probably several orders of magnitude more likely to suffer major injury or death compared with driving a car. that's why so many wives forbid it (including mine :( )

scatterbunny

My dad was a motorcycle guy (and also an alcoholic drunk driver :( ) who crashed several times during my childhood, and almost died a handful of those times.

Mark owned a motorcycle for awhile when Hayley was a baby, to save money (his insurance was actually cheaper, and of course so was gas), but it was scary, definitely. He got a truck as soon as we could afford it.

I waffle on this issue. I like the idea of having a motorcycle for certain reasons--I can see the "recreational" aspect of them. On a nice day, it's fun to take a ride. And the bike Mark had was off-road capable, as well, and that's nice around her, we've got all kinds of back roads to explore. But at he same time, I am not comfortable with the safety aspect of a motorcycle. Luckily Mark has come to that comclusion on his own, and doesn't want a motorcycle now. He wants a four-wheel ATV. :rolleyes:

remken

For me it's better that he got a bike instead of fixing up his landcruiser because then I don't have to worry about my kids being in a vehicle that is unsafe. I agree that are more dangerous, but if him buying a bike is going to keep my kids safe I'm all for it. Now he just has to figure out how he's going to make the payments every month.

southpawboston

For me it's better that he got a bike instead of fixing up his landcruiser because then I don't have to worry about my kids being in a vehicle that is unsafe. I agree that are more dangerous, but if him buying a bike is going to keep my kids safe I'm all for it. Now he just has to figure out how he's going to make the payments every month.

and do make sure his life insurance policy is up to snuff. :D

Duckieheart

Motorcycles are forbidden here.
No way around it- motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. A little fender bender in a car- no biggie. HUGE deal on a bike.
My DH is military- so he was told, dangerous job or dangerous hobby (although his job isnt sooo dangerous).
He does ride my stepmoms with my father occasionally (he is liscensed- he had one as a teen)- but we arent buying him one any time soon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC