True Fits on plane.

cwolff

We are flying to FL next month. We have twin girls who will be 21 months at the time. We only bought one extra seat on the plane, but are hoping there might be an extra seat we can use when we board. If not, we'll just gate check the 2nd seat. We are flying Jet Blue and it's a newer plane with 2 seats, aisle, 2 seats. I think I read that the seats are 18.5 in. wide on the plane. We have 2 True Fits that we could bring. I had thought about buying 2 Cosco Sceneras just for the trip. Not sure if it's worth it, though. Are the True Fits a nightmare to travel with? I thought about buying an extra seat, but the fares have gone way up. What would you do?

Thanks,
Christie

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Here's my thread relaying my experience with the True Fit on the plane http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=86239

Is this the type of plane you are travelling on? http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/JetBlue_Airways/JetBlue_Airways_Embraer_190.php If so, the seats are 18" wide. According to SeatGuru (the web site I just linked to), both of the planes I was on were 17" wide. And I could squeeze the arm rest by the TF with some effort. So, if you've got an extra inch, you're fine!

Personally, I wouldn't buy 2 new seats just for the trip assuming you have another adult there helping you, instead I'd put that money towards another ticket for my 2nd child. If the plane I linked to is the plane you are flying on, "Each seat features a personal 6.8 inch LCD screen with 36 channels of DIRECTV programming. On flights longer than 2 hours there is also a selection of movies." and let me tell you that a child in a car seat with their own personal kids show right in front of them is AMAZINGLY distracting for the child! Especially if that child is not normally a TV watcher, then it's even more of a novelty (on top of the novelty of facing forward when they normally ride rear-facing and looking at clouds out the window, etc.).

cwolff

Yes, that is the plane we are flying on the way down. We are flying Airtran on the way back, which is 3, aisle, 3. My parents will be flying home with us. We bought just the one extra seat on the way home too. Do you think it's worth buying the extra seat, if there are 4 adults flying? My instinct says yes, but the whole point of flying now was that they were still free. I'm not sure what to do. Is the True Fit a pain to lug around the airport. We'll also have the double stroller and our carry-ons. Can you get one of those luggage carts to bring all the way to the gate? Not sure how it's gonna all work out. Thanks for the advice. I'll read your post now.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'll let you read my post first as some of your recent questions may be answered there. Whatever isn't answered, feel free to ask again.

As for whether I think it's worth it for a seat if there are 4 adults flying as well...short answer, YES. We had 2 adults and a teenager with us and ONE toddler. Having a place where she was contained was so beneficial. She was safe from turbulence, safe from the flight attendants tray cart whacking her in the head/leg/arm because she was never sitting in the aisle seat flailing her body parts, kept from the glares of the passengers behind if she would have been standing on the person she was sitting with and looking over the back of the seat (this is what another toddler was doing part of the flight), she could nap super easy and without anyone having to hold her. The people a few rows up had a baby that fell asleep on dad sitting in the aisle and mom had to get something from the overhead bin which she couldn't reach so they spent a bunch of time trying to let mom get out to get to the bin, when that didn't work, dad passed the baby over and baby woke up screaming.

Not to mention that you'll have one in a seat and one free to roam about? Seems like it could open a can of worms with one upset they are confined while the other is bouncing, smiling and squirming all over as the rest of you are getting stressed out that the child won't sit still for take off. Of course, it could all go super smooth, just not something that can be guaranteed with kids! DD sat nicely in her seat for takeoff, and I held juice, water, gum and a couple other snacks to continually hand her so her ears wouldn't get sore.

ETA: not to mention that having your child in their own seat and restrained is a huge safety benefit if there should ever be a runway crash or failed takeoff, etc. Your arms are definitely not going to keep that child safe in that speed and force.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC