wow...what is this seat? (crash test video)

Ok, so I was looking for a booster video for someone on here that I had seen in the past and came across this.... Mamas and Papas is Peg Perego- same company, same products but in England Peg Perego goes by M&P.

I thought the "Navetta" basinette was just for the stroller? is this the same product or some kind of car bed? either way this video is scary!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MbkpLhi0Rc&feature=related"]YouTube- Crashtest - niebezpieczna gondola Mamas & Papas Navetta[/ame]

Maybe you've discussed this before...anyways- it left me very curious! I can't imagine a baby being in there.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Most of the stroller/carseat cos. (Britax, Chicco, etc.) have, in Europe, a carrycot that can be used in the car or stroller. They are held to a different standard than rear-facing seats. For some reason many European parents seem convinced that lying flat is necessary for newborns, and want to use these carrycots for the first few months to enable that. I too find the crash tests horrifying.

I'm much more enamored of the Red Castle Sport infant seat, which allows baby to lie flat in the car in the rear facing position instead of side-facing. Much safer, doesn't scare me nearly as much. ;)

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow, I wonder if it's even sold for car use like that? Like maybe this independent company just tried it to see what would happen?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it's the Autocruise Car Carrycot, it's intended for use in the car. If not, may be an older model (there was one that had a separate car fitting kit you could buy. I don't think it's on the market anymore.)

mommycat

The video is posted in Polish, and the description says that OEAMTC Austria conducted the test. It has a link to a Polish carseat site which posts info, including crash test results and rankings, of car seats, http://fotelik.info. That site lists the Mamas and Papas Navetta as an infant seat, Group 0. It gets pretty bad ratings (5 is the max rating)
http://fotelik.info/pl/testy/navetta/grupa/rosnaco/index.html

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Mamas_and_Papas_Navetta__Review_5381409
I would not recommend that you use it in the car like they say you can as it takes up all the 3 seats in the back and when I contacted an agency that informs you which car seats fit your car the best I was informed that they do not recommend anyone to use them this way. Yes you child is harnessed in but there is nothing to support your child’s head, they only recommend you use it in the car if you are informed that your child’s back should be kept straight as much as possible. I was not told this when I brought and another reason I brought it as it meant I did not have to buy a car seat straight away and so took the harness back to get a refund. When I took it back the sale assistance I spoke did not recommend it as a car seat either and was happy to give me a refund.

mburks26

Off topic
I was looking at other videos that show below the main video and it shows a seat that looks to have something like the mighty tight built into the base of the seat. The harness part comes off and then you thread the seat belt though 2 lock offs and then turn this handle to tighten the belt and then snap the harness part of the seat back on it. Its forward facing seat but kinda like an infant bucket thing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, so maybe it is on the market still, but people just don't sell it because of the bad crash tests? And this updated one is supposed to be "safer" or something...

The last time we had a thread about carrycots used in the car I think it was the Britax BabySafe (I think that's what it's called) carrycot that had just got some safety award, and the thing is it may be safer than other side-facing carrycots, but it's still less safe than a rear-facing seat...

canadiangie

So it's a Peg Perego Navetta bassinet, which can be used as a CR, only in Europe? :confused:

I've seen a Navetta IRL, and it's no CR, that's for sure.

Well I am shocked that it is probably intended for auto use... I wasn't sure what to make of it so that's why I posted it. I do think that it is though because you can see how it is secured to the vehicle...looks like some kind of latch system is in use. I'm just glad that we don't see those on the road here!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So it's a Peg Perego Navetta bassinet, which can be used as a CR, only in Europe? :confused:

I've seen a Navetta IRL, and it's no CR, that's for sure.

Yes, there's a special "car fit kit" that you can buy separately, if you want to use it in the car.

I have a Chicco carrycot, which you can also buy a "car kit" for. I don't know about the Navetta, but for the Chicco carrycot I have, the "car kit" consists of a wide belt that attaches to the bottom to hold the baby in (goes over the belly); sounds like the Navetta has a harness available. Then the other part of the kit for the Chicco are kind of triangle-shaped loop things that would bolt onto pre-drilled holes on either end, and instructions for securing the carrycot in the car with the seatbelts (takes 2 for the Chicco carrycot) through them. :eek:

Mine has EPS foam all around the side where when the baby slams into it in a crash (and the baby would!) the head will impact the EPS foam instead of the plastic. I had a thread where I showed some pics... Let me find it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
OEAMTC doesn't always install seats right, then the crash tests look terrible, like this.. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SmS3MaT8A&feature=related"]YouTube- TeamTex Safety Baby Challenger wypada z pasów - fotelik.info[/ame]
At least I hope so, because the thought of kids in that navetta is kind of terrifying, otherwise :eek:

mommycat

OEAMTC doesn't always install seats right, then the crash tests look terrible, like this.. YouTube- TeamTex Safety Baby Challenger wypada z pasów - fotelik.info
At least I hope so, because the thought of kids in that navetta is kind of terrifying, otherwise :eek:
I am not sure - I haven't been able to dig up any dirt in any language I can understand. Other than in '06 that seat had a recall due to a supremely crappy instruction manual:
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/rapex/create_rapex.cfm?rx_id=82
So either the product is also not great (it gets the lowest rating for safety on fotelik.pl) or OEAMTC maybe was following similarly incomplete instructions?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It was this one "Infant car seat “Baby Start”
Name: Team Tex Basic Challenger Explorer with instruction set V1085E.
Type/number of model: Basic Challenger Explorer.
Country of origin: France."

Yeah, the seat was near impossible for US users to install wrong (yes, the seat was sold here for a year or so, oh my, was it junk!), since it had a standard RF belt path. You can imagine our shock to see that even the OEAMTC people mistakenly installed it like an infant seat with the belt wrapped around the back... but now I see that the manual really was THAT bad, I finally understand.
:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC