Plane with 4 year old

IsasMom

We'll be flying with our JUST turned 4 year old this Spring to Disney. We'll be taking the bus from the airport to hotel son won't need a CRS while we're there. It's a 2 hour (tops!) flight. Would you take a seat for the plane? What do you consider minimum weight/ height to be best supported by the belt? (I can't believe I'm even considering "minimum") I don't fear trouble with her being to fidgety, etc. She was fine last year and I expect the same... her Leapster will keep her content if all else fails!

Second... IF I should use a seat, is it OK to use a Scenera if her shoulders are a bit above the slots? Right now she's a bit below them (I checked the other day after I realized it was time to crank the Blvd up) I'm afraid she might outgorw that seat by Spring. We'll be replacing it with a Maestro type seat or GN (that's another discussion, LOL) but I'd rather take the smaller, lighter Scenera. I wouldn't drive a car like that but it should be OK for turbulence, right?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, you should not use an outgrown seat. For a child her age I'd prefer no seat on the plane to an outgrown seat. The FAA states that "seatbelts only may not provide optimal protection for children less than 40 lbs." However at age 4 and able to sit still, if she's at least 35 I'd probably consider it. :)

The other thing you could consider is buying or renting a CARES harness, for use on the plane.

firemomof3

Personally I would buy a Maestro. Since your going to need one anyway and its so lightweight and easy to install, I don't think it would be much of a hassel.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I have stopped taking a seat on the plane with 35-40 pound 3 year olds. I didn't need the seat at my destination.

Ali

Last April (right after DD turned 4) I let DD fly with DH without a carseat! I also let her booster train at that age - she barely breathes when sitting in a booster.

IsasMom

Thanks for the input. I don't remember reading that FAA statement. Looks like I'm leaning towards the seat, then. Maybe a new one. Thanks for the input about the Maestro, too. I let my CPST cert lapse last year and it's amazing how quickly I stopped keeping up with the latest. I'm just starting to learn about that one!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
what about a child a couple of weeks from the 3rd birthday and weighing about 35 pounds (give or take)?

I found the seatbelt didn't fit Piper well until 40 pounds solidly. Some belts don't fit her at 42 pounds or 43 pounds (which for her is six to nine months growth). For a child that young and small I'd probably take a seat.

Wendy

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
what about a child a couple of weeks from the 3rd birthday and weighing about 35 pounds (give or take)?

I've gone both ways. If the child will sit still and keep the belt buckled the entire time, I'd think about leaving the seat home. For a wiggly child, I'd lean towards taking a seat. For me, it would depend on how much other stuff I'm taking with me. Also, it depends on the time of day. If I want my child to sleep, it's easier with a carseat.

Eclipsepearl

For me, the real issue is getting the car seat to the destination in one piece. The chances of anything bad happening on the flight are very slim but the risks of checking a car seat or having it sent to another city are much greater. Car travel is much less safe so don't risk being in the car without your child properly restrained.

So I promote using a car seat on the airplane more if you need to transport it. Some might take a seat anyway and bravo to them but realistically, having worked for the airlines, I would not trust the airlines with a checked car seat.

If there is a reliable seat on the other end or not needed, then statistically, the lap belt is safe, if only because you're all on the aircraft. CARES harnesses only go to 44lbs. Saferider vests and boosters can't be used on airplanes.

The car seat is always a safer option on the airplane regardless. I used one for my 5 year old last summer, less for the flight and more for the car trip we took down the coast of California.

So don't debate the size and weight of your children but the practicalities of your whole trip. If your child is over age 2 or you have purchased a seat for your under 2 baby, and you have a FAA approved car seat, it's your right to use it on board, as long as it fits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC