ERF with a compact car advice

SCUBANewbie

So I just KNOW this must be asked a thousand times, so bear with me but I've searched and only found really old posts.

I have a Britax Marathon which I like for our SUV but now that LO has officially outgrown his infant seat, I need another convertible seat for our Honda Civic. Yes, the dreaded compact car but want to rear-face a long time question.

My little boy is a tall 9 month old, so I like the tall shell of the Britax and first tried to install my Marathon RF in my civic on the passenger side. I can either go to the minimum recline (making it nearly impossible to get LO in there) or give up ever having ANYONE (even a midgit) ride in my passenger seat until we turn FF. We had this same problem with the infant seat, but at least then when I didn't have the car seat in there (just the base) I could put the seat back, not so with this next car seat since it'll obviously stay there.

I'm fortunate in that I'm less concerned with the price, I'm not trying to imply it's not important, but given that this will involve safety and years of convenience (planning to have one more child after this but not for a few years) I'm willing to spend more if it's going to work well for us.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It sounds like it's the higher profile that's giving you a problem in the Civic. Long-lasting, lower-profile seats include the Safety 1st Complete Air and the First Years True Fit and True Fit Premiere. They should both fit fine at a more upright angle in a Civic. :) The Complete Air allows up to 30 degrees, the True Fit up to 35 (but the way the headrest is angled means it won't take up more space.)

SCUBANewbie

I'm confused. I just looked at a review done on the Complete Air and it looks like it has a higher back, so wouldn't that make the space problem worse, not better?
HTML:
http://carseatblog.com/?p=3332
K, I'm off to look at the other recommendations from the previous poster now. TIA for all help!

SCUBANewbie

I think I saw someone recommend the Evenflo Triumph Advance on here so I went to a few posts and it seems like some people love the tension knobs and some hate it. At first glance I loved the idea (I have rheumatoid arthritis and find the Marathon strap a bit hard to pull) but someone mentioned they really couldn't get it to release one time without significant pressure, what happens if my LO is in there and I can't get him out?!?

natysr

What year is your Civic? Is it 2 door or 4 door?

I used a Marathon rearfacing in my civic for years. It is pictured in my siggy. I've used it both in the center and outboard and have not had trouble putting the front seat all the way back.

Since your baby is older, he doesn't need the 45 degree recline that an infant needs. And, he would be safer having it more upright. I think that you could successfully install just about any convertible on the market rearfacing in the civic, provided you install it more upright.

SCUBANewbie

It's a 2005 Civic. It's not my little one who minds sitting upright, it's REALLY hard to get him in there without banging his head on the door opening and when I try to get him out he ends up twisted around. I just feel like I need a bit more maneuvering room and it seems like when it's reclined a bit I get that. Does that make sense? Or is there something else that works better.

I'm second guessing my follow up question about the low versus high "profile". What is the "Profile", I automatically assumed it meant the seat back height, but maybe it was how high the seat itself sits? That may give me more room if he was closer to the seat, then I'd have more room getting him in....ahhhh, help ladies and gents, I need help!

natysr

It could be a matter of just finding a comfortable position. I used to approach the car by facing the front of the vehicle. Holding my child on my hip that is furthest from the door, kneeling with my knee on the edge of the vehicle seat sticking out right next to the carseat, then sliding my son into the doorway butt/feet first in kind of a cradle hold.

It was more comfortable for me to do this on the driver's side verses the passenger's side. I don't know why, it just was. (Just like I can only hold my purse on my right shoulder.)

Sure, I've wacked his head a couple of times, but he still loves me. :love:

A lower profile seat would be one were the child's butt is closer to the vehicle seat, rather than up high on a base like the marathon is.

Here is an example of a Marathon and a Safety 1st Uptown next to each other. The Uptown is lower to the vehicle seat. Not on a high base like the marathon is.

506010968_kP5ob-M.jpg

506011316_wTVEm-M.jpg

FWIW, I actually found that putting my son in his seat when he is FF to be harder on me than rearfacing. Luckily he almost always gets into his seat himself. But still, buckling him while RFing was easier than buckling him FFing.

littleangelfire

I loved the knobs on the EFTA (Triumph Advance), and the harness that's easily adjusted. And I wouldn't choose a seat solely based on how easy/hard it is to put your child in simply b/c that will change when he's able to climb into the seat on his own. I, too, could fit a rear facing Marathon in my car, even with a passenger in the passenger seat in front of it. Just gave a little more room with the EFTA.

amyd

I've had a Marathon, True Fit & a Radian RFing in my 2004 4 door Civic. All have allowed plenty of leg room for the driver & front seat passenger (DH & I are both 5'10").

Mommy2Marcus

I found that the 2 seats that fit the best RF in my car are the Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA) & the Graco My Ride 65 (MR). The EFTA fits a little better, but the MR really only takes up a little more room. All in all both are great seats! However the MR offers 5 more pounds for RF over the EFTA as well as about an inch more shell. So I would more than likely go for the MR now over the EFTA.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Complete Air does have a tall back. That's why it's longer-lasting. :) When it sits upright it doesn't take up much more room. And the lower profile makes it much easier to load a kid in.

SCUBANewbie

Thanks all, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful (though more confused about the sheer volume of choices). I'm going to put off on the new carseat one more week and work on my technique for loading him into my Marathon. I will try natysr's suggestion and hopefully I'll get better at it. I know it will be all too soon and he'll be crawling up there himself, but I still need to make it work until them. I like the ETA, I'm just worried about those darn knobs so am considering some of the other "lower profile" suggestions given, since I think that is actually the problem, the small door opening, not the lack of leg room in front now that he doesn't need the 45% recline...that was always the problem, I just thought a 45% angle would make it easier to load him, but if that's not safest now, that's not an approach I want to take long-term.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC