Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question New MyRide 65 Harness question?

I feel like the harness is too loose, but my husband says it's fine. How do you know?
    In his snugride I would test by putting 2 fingers flat between child and belt.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: New MyRide 65 Harness question?

That's actually not how you test, and putting two fingers between the harness and the child actually means it's probably much too loose.

You need to test at the shoulders, above the chest clip (remember the chest clip should be at the nipples, not down on the tummy).

Try to pinch the harness horizontally (a line parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to the ground). If you can get even a little bit of harness between your thumb and forefinger, it's too loose. Your fingers should slide right off the webbing as you try to pinch.

Here is a good thread talking about how to tell if a harness is too tight or too loose:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=49030
    Katy

Another saying is that it should be "snug as a hug". It should fit close to the child's body with no slack. If you can fit 2 fingers under the harness, then it is more than likely to loose. Here is a harness that is properly tighened on the My Ride on my child:

Where you do the pinch test is right on the shoulder above the chest clip & at the collar bone. If you can pinch a fold in the harness, then it is to loose. You want your fingers to slip off.
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!