Seats for a preemie

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Could you all help me?

I am trying to rank, in order of "best fit" to "worst fit" for most preemies (think 4-5 pounds), the following seats. I know that every child is different and that it depends on the torso length, but I am just trying to get a general idea for most little babies. I also know that the baby has to pass the carseat test. :)

Could the CPSTs or anyone else who is experience with this help me rank these in order from "best fit" to "worst fit"?

~ Chicco KeyFit30
~ Safety First On Board
~ Safety First Starter
~ Combi Shuttle 33
~ Graco Snugride 22
~ Graco Snugride 32
~ Graco Snugride 35 (I am assuming it is the same as the 32?)
~ Baby Trend Flex Lock
~ Peg Perego Primo Viaggio
~ Britax Chaperone
~ Evenflo Serenade
~ Evenflo Embrace
~ Evenflo Discovery
~ Maxi Cosi Mico

I am under the impression that the KeyFit30 and the OnBoard are the best for tiny babies and that they are two of the only seats that are rated for babies under 5 pounds. Is that correct?

ADS

kaysmom

I know that starting soon the Coccoro will be rated from 3 pounds... but I've also heard that it fits the little ones quite well as it is, too.

ETA: sorry I didnt see that you had a list of what looks like just infant seats before I posted:eek:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Nope. I'm not ruling out convertibles, but I am trying to help a couple I know and I think they want an infant carseat. I will tell them about the Coccoro, though. :)

zeo2ski

I thought the Chaperone was supposed to be pretty good with the preemie insert ( I see it's on the list, I mean I thought it'd be higher up).

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The list above isn't in any particular order. It is just a list. :)

Oh, that makes more sense then. The Chaperone is by far the best fit for a tiny baby, followed closely by the Keyfit. I would take the Evenflos off the list altogether, except for the Serenade. The chest clip on the Discovery nd the Embrace is ridiculously large for even full term babies. If I was to make a list in order of best fit, it would look like this:

~ Britax Chaperone
~ Chicco KeyFit30
~ Safety First On Board
~ Safety First Starter
~ Maxi Cosi Mico
~ Evenflo Serenade
~ Combi Shuttle 33
~ Graco Snugride 22 rear adjust
~ Baby Trend Flex Lock
~ Graco Snugride 32/35
~ Peg Perego Primo Viaggio
~ Graco Snugride 22 front adjust

If I were going to include convertibles, The Cocorro would be first on the list.

rachelandtyke

The Evenflo Embrace fit my 5 lb 19 in little guy well, but I did hate the seat since it took up so much room, more than my rf Blvd!

C

Concerned Aunt

The Chicco Keyfit 30 was a really great fit for my 4.5 lb preemie. Actually, it still is and he's now 13 months and ~18 lbs. He'll soon outgrow it in height but we have been very happy with it.

We went to Babies-R-Us while he was still in the nicu to compare seats. The Keyfit had by far the smallest harness fit and with the insert our little guy was snug and secure. Be sure your friend knows that car seats are not intended to be used with the after market inserts (unless it's sold or endorsed by the car seat manufacturer).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Be sure your friend knows that car seats are not intended to be used with the after market inserts (unless it's sold or endorsed by the car seat manufacturer).

Got it covered. :)

Actually, even if the aftermarket product is sold or endorsed by the manufacturer, the product shouldn't necessarily be used. For example, I adore Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products, but I would NOT use their Mighty-Tite, 2-in-1 Head Support, Cuddle Soft, Grip-It, Snuggle Soft, Super Mat, or Ultra Mat in or with any of my seats.

cookie123

What about that Mia Moda Supreme? Is that still available? Or was there a recall, or?

I find the Keyfit to cause chin on chest in many preemies. Taking out the head part doesn't really help. It's the most common seat we see, after the Snugride. Thinking about it, maybe it's because their heads are flattened to varying degrees, making the back of the head protrude more.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
All Mia Moda infant seats have been recalled, the recall says "do not use" and they seem to be out of the infant seat business. :(

canadiangie

I recently helped a family with 5lb twins and put the low birthweight inserts into their Chaperones, and then help fit each baby into their seat, and wow is all I can say. That's some pretty incredible foam. It basically eliminates any chin to chest... the babies were sort of lifted and suspended up on a flat hammock if that makes sense... it was an instant incredible improvement, and based on what I saw I now rank the Chaperone as the best infant seat for really small babies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC