Keep these TFs or not?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I need help deciding what to do with my two TFs. These were DD's seats until she reached 33# clothed, and with additional winter layers was close enough to 35# that I didn't want to worry about her being over. I replaced them with 2 MRs. Now I don't know if to keep the TFs or get rid of them.

There was supposed to be a new baby coming in September and I was thinking of keeping at least one TF in case it puzzled better with an infant seat or if I had to flip DD FF at that time and the TF worked better or I liked it better FF than the MR (she will be 4 then so I'd be fine with FF her).

Now that there is no need to potentially flip her FF in September because baby is gone, I am not sure if I should just sell both TFs? She has 2" growing room in the MR for RF. If there is another baby in my future, it will not be in October, the earliest it could be is November and that's assuming a lot of things go right. I hate having a seat just hang around and lose value if I end up not using it. But it would obviously save me money if I did use it eventually instead of buying something new.

I'm thinking I need to flip her MR around and try an install FF? and try a TF FF install as well? One thing I already know I dislike about the TF, is having to use the lock offs FF with a seat belt install. I hate how the teeth dig into the seat belt, and yes I am vain with my vehicle, but I'd rather not wreck the seat belt and have to buy a new one (there are pics somewhere of someone who was getting holes in their seat belt from the TF lock offs). And even if she's not 40# when she goes FF, she'll obviously be 40# before she gets to booster age so I'd need to use the seat belt at some point with the TF. With the MR I can just lock the seat belt and done and likely the same if I get something else for FF (Nautilus, Frontier, or something new by that time?).

If it's silly to hang onto the TF for months anyway, then I won't bother checking FF installs. Help me figure this out! Oh, and the TFs DOM are both April 30/08, so almost 5.5 years left.

ADS

flutie128

I personally don't like things hanging around either. I would probably try to sell them because we don't have extra space for 2 large car seats or any objects for that matter. I would just reevaluate what seats to use after you get another baby. At that time there might be something better for your DD and she might be FFing which ones up any other seats to choose from.

TheQueenMother

I would try Ffing installs just to see which you like better. My plan would probably be to sell one and keep one for spare. The MR is very reclined and I think I would like the less recline of the Tf for ffing.

Amanda

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I would try Ffing installs just to see which you like better. My plan would probably be to sell one and keep one for spare. The MR is very reclined and I think I would like the less recline of the Tf for ffing.

Amanda
I guess I should add that if I don't like the recline of the MR when FF, I'd buy something else if I didn't have a TF anymore. So, I wouldn't be forced into using the MR FF. Would that change your opinion?

Misty-Bug

this is my personal opinion.....

just wait a bit. I know I bought my bob duallie stroller when I was pregnant and then ended up losing it. I wanted to sell anything and everything that reminded me of another baby. I packed up diapers and everything.
So all this to say, make sure you are not making a rash decision because of the pain in your heart. (Pain which is totally understandable). Make sure you really weight out this decision.

If money is not an issue then I would think of selling though. You never know, there may be nicer ones in the future. Or maybe keep one of each?

just wanted to send you BIG HUGS

TheQueenMother

I would be uncomfortable without a spare seat and would probably let one go ond keep one. If you decided you did not care for the MR ffing, you could sell your least favorite and get a ffing seat then.
I am sorry for your loss and am keeping you in my thoughts.

canadiangie

Hey Techno. First of all, big hugs to you.

I would probably sell both TF's. You said you have 2 MRs for dd, so you do have a spare seat so to speak. You could put the money you make from the sale of the TF's towards either a TF Premiere when they come, or a more upright ff'ing seat for dd down the road (that doesn't have mandatory lockoffs). Having two enormous seats like the TF's just hanging around seems silly to me, I guess. Then again, if you held onto them for the next few mos just to see what happens with TTC it would be understandable too. I think in this instance you should let your heart decide. ((hugs))

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think I'd probably get rid of one and keep the other. I'm in the camp that I wouldn't use the MR ff'ing if I had the choice of another seat.

FWIW, I've never had problems with the teeth digging in to the seatbelt. Must've been a weird combo of the install being crazy tight and the seatbelts being thick or something.

Although my one seatbelt does have a permanent crimp in it from the SS1 lock-off... I don't recall off the top of my head how long at a stretch my TF has actually been installed ff'ing with the seatbelt. It's back in with UAS again right now.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks everyone. And Misty, thanks for the wise thoughts!

I do have a spare, even if it's not a spare in my house. The 2nd MR is used in my parents vehicle and it's kept in their house (grandpa needs his back seat for work so only puts the MR in when DD needs it). So, if I should ever need a spare, I can head to their house and pick it up whether they've got their vehicle out or not.

DH always thought the plan was to sell both TFs, then use the MRs FF for DD. Then I told him I had no plans to use the MR FF. Heh-heh. I am irked that you have to remove the shoulder pads after 40#. DD has narrow shoulders and always gets a gouged neck from harnesses. Pulling up shirts either stretches out her shirts, or they just slip back under, so I really like harness pads. So, then he grumbled at me and told me to do whatever. :p

So, I think I'll play around with installing both the MR and TF FF and put DD in them to see how she likes it and what I think. Although I am leaning towards selling both TFs unless I REALLY love it FF in which case I'll likely keep both....or maybe just one... :rolleyes: The MRs can be passed down to the theoretical baby for RF once theoretical baby outgrows the infant seat. And if theoretical baby never exists, then sell the MRs.

One of the reasons I was wanting to sell is because I was hoping to get our basement finished this summer as I wanted a finished basement for being on maternity leave to have a playroom for DD1 and DD2 to go and do things and not have toys everywhere all the time. :) Finishing the basement is useful, regardless if another baby is on the way, baby was just the push to get it done. And DH won't start the basement until I clear everything out (since I want to decide what to do with everything down there) and we sure could use any extra money I can get towards the renos.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC