rstv

vamom

So I bought one to travel with. Ended up not needing it, but kept for carpool or whatever.

Used it for teh first time this week. Rode with another mom. The open spot was by teh door. Installed easy, all seemed fine. Ds loves it. She was putting her kids in as I did ds. When we started off I realized that even though she has three tether points she has a lap only in teh center. She had taken her itty bitty delayed 3 yr old in turbo outboard and her 6 yr old in a turbo in teh middle. I tried to remain calm, but it really bothered me.

So I told her we could switch so her dd could have a shoulder belt, that our seat could do both. She was worried about giving me teh crappy belt.

So anyway, we did. I corrected the other belts (over teh armrests and twisted). All looked good and I was happy taht ds was in teh center. Well he didn't stay well.

As in, teh tether kept lossining and so did teh lapbelt. Is this because he was a wiggly worm or did I do something wrong?

By teh way, teh little one normally uses an eta (of course it is most likly expired, has an aftermarket cover, and teh straps were in different slots?). She did teh booster for teh 3across. This is a weekly thing and I need to ride with her until I can afford to replace teh passenger seatbelt that teh bleeping dog ate.

Recommendations? TIA

ADS

monstah

It's the (not teh) please.

Use a harnessed seat in the center. A 3 year has no business in a booster, even just once a week. Put the ETA center, booster and vest outboard.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No Evenflo Triumph Advance will be expired. They were introduced in 2007. I agree that it should be in the lapbelt position.

vamom

No Evenflo Triumph Advance will be expired. They were introduced in 2007. I agree that it should be in the lapbelt position.

I bought the same seat in 2003. She told me she bought it for older dd (as a baby) who is now 7. Maybe it wasn't called the advance, maybe deluxe.

Anyway, my question is did I do something wrong with the rstv in the center? Why did the tether and seatbelt loosen up.

vamom

It's the (not teh) please.

Use a harnessed seat in the center. A 3 year has no business in a booster, even just once a week. Put the ETA center, booster and vest outboard.

Sorry. I had a stroke 1.5 years ago and I still have language and typing issues. I am also typing from a netbook. I know how to spell the, my brain just gets messed up.

She said the eta will not work and did not want to try. It is not my car or my children.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
But it is your child. Should there be a crash and the Evenflo Trimuph fails. Her kid is then the deadly projectile in the car---who could seriously injure or kill your child.

Susan

vamom

My question is about the rstv. Why did it loosen up in the center position ? Did I do something wrong or was it my wiggly boy?

Evolily

A tether shouldn't loosen because of wiggling, and a lapbelt shouldn't loosen if it's locked. Both of those concern me.

vamom

A tether shouldn't loosen because of wiggling, and a lapbelt shouldn't loosen if it's locked. Both of those concern me.

That is what I thought. We stopped and I retightened everything and when I looked back the tether was dangling and the seatbelt was sliding loose. I hate lap belts. I really thought this car would not have them.

Maybe I will show up with a car full of carseats and see if I can casually suggust a way to try a 3 across.

monstah

Typos are not against the rules. ;)
Never said it was. ;)

vamom, I apologize if my reply above bothered you. Of course I didn't realize you have trouble typing. :( I also never played with a netbook before and didn't realize they don't have spell checks. All I know about technology is what my DH tells me. :p

I can't imagine why the top tether or lap belt is coming loose. Maybe one (or both) are broken? You can't get a picture, can you?

Kat_Momof3

the lapbelt would be a vehicle problem... and (I'm assuming here, so bear with me if I'm wrong) can be solved by turning the buckle over (so it looks upside down) after you get it snug... just unbuckle, flip, rebuckle... which is what we advise people to do with installing carseats when the lapbelt isn't staying tight and the lapbelt has a locking latch plate (not one that locks at a retractor)

now, as for the tether, that sounds like the problem is with the vest... I would call the company and get them to replace it.

Evolily

the lapbelt would be a vehicle problem... and (I'm assuming here, so bear with me if I'm wrong) can be solved by turning the buckle over (so it looks upside down) after you get it snug... just unbuckle, flip, rebuckle... which is what we advise people to do with installing carseats when the lapbelt isn't staying tight and the lapbelt has a locking latch plate (not one that locks at a retractor)
this would not work with a lap belt. Only a lap/shoulder belt. The latchplate on the lap belt IS the restraint, whereas the latchplate on a lap/shoulder belt only has to act as a pre-crash positioner.

FWIW- I can see a lapbelt with a broken latchplate loosening and then causing the tether to seem loose (since the kid is more free to move).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
this would not work with a lap belt. Only a lap/shoulder belt. The latchplate on the lap belt IS the restraint, whereas the latchplate on a lap/shoulder belt only has to act as a pre-crash positioner.

FWIW- I can see a lapbelt with a broken latchplate loosening and then causing the tether to seem loose (since the kid is more free to move).

Actually, flipping the latchplate of a lap-only belt is an accepted solution for a slipping belt. It causes the locking mechanism inside the latchplate to sit against the belt and keep it locked. :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

Actually, flipping the latchplate of a lap-only belt is an accepted solution for a slipping belt. It causes the locking mechanism inside the latchplate to sit against the belt and keep it locked. :thumbsup:

I knew it! just was only 99% sure I was right.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC