Evenflo SureLATCH really does not work in all cars...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I installed a Symphony 65 today in a Lexus sedan (yes, bad me, I didn't memorize the model... 4 door, new enough to have LATCH, that much I know, lol) http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=219&pfid=938
It was for a grandma with 1 year and 4 mo old babies, never at the same time, so I helped her buy something that was easy to switch between the two (both RF! She's totally pro RF) and last a long time.
So we tried the seatbelt in the middle, but the hump in the middle was just enormous, it wobbled right out of position as soon as I let go of it. On to LATCH outboard... well, the slits in the leather were no picnic to try to cram that big LATCH anchor into, but we finally got it, then I push on the seat side to side to try to get it to tighten down, but it just wouldn't get very tight. Well, it was *acceptable*, I'd be thrilled to get a seat installed that well at a check :cool: but the seat propped up on the sureLATCHes and wouldn't go down farther, so we had to hold them out the way while trying to press down on the seat to get it tighter. Still didn't work. Considered putting a noodle under there, but the base was really far from the bight and it didn't seem like it would do much. Gave up, did the seatbelt. Threading it under the cover was a pain, but the seat was rock solid with almost no effort, we were amazed at the difference over the other installs :eek: I gently pulled the shoulderbelt out to lock it, gave it a few tester tugs and pushes, it stayed tight. I kind of hope it doesn't tip, but it seems like a hefty seat and unlikely to happen. There was also LOADS of room for a front seat passenger, that was kind of thrilling :thumbsup:
So the SureLATCH...it truly works like a miracle on our flat bench at BRU, but in a curvy hard leather sedan seat? fuggetaboutit (darn, I was so hoping that Judi was alone with her lack of luck with this seat :p)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I hate the SureLATCH. I had the same problems in a Honda Accord. Ugh. Plus it didn't tighten.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've had this problem with the SureLATCH in sooo many cars. There seem to be relatively few, at least among the people I've seen with them, who had cars that DID work with it. So often the anchor locations were not accessible to those huge connectors.

Mae

Doesn't work in my car either. The LATCH connectors are too hidden in my seat cushions. :thumbsdown:

mominabigtruck

Hmm, I wonder how it will work in a pt cruiser then. I like my frontier as long as I don't have to move it and it really hates the cruiser. I was hoping that the symphony would pop right in with the latch.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I noticed that the Canadian manual says that you may need to rotate the connectors so that the webbing can move in in a straight line, is it able to be rotated in some of those vehicles and then the problem disappears?

I know that even just the IMMI push-on connectors are a huge PITA in some cars. My Outlook is like that - though I've had those connectors attached long enough driver side that the whole cushion at the seat bite is separated by a # of inches now.

So I guess apparently hook connectors aren't all bad. :p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So I guess apparently hook connectors aren't all bad. :p

Haha, no kidding. Given the headaches that the push on connectors seem to add to CA installs, it's like Dorel just forgot to check that there might be a little modification made in the seat to accommodate them.

lil.miss32

Hmm, I wonder how it will work in a pt cruiser then. I like my frontier as long as I don't have to move it and it really hates the cruiser. I was hoping that the symphony would pop right in with the latch.

I have the original Symphony, and it was a breeze to install in my friend's PT cruiser... She didn't have leather seats, tho.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Haha, no kidding. Given the headaches that the push on connectors seem to add to CA installs, it's like Dorel just forgot to check that there might be a little modification made in the seat to accommodate them.

I've had my CA in several cars with the LATCH-- I haven't noticed any headaches? I'm curious what kinds of vehicles you've had difficulty in, because I'll know to just use seatbelt if I'm ever in one. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm thinking of Maedze's initial difficulties with the CA with LATCH...it's just bulky and not in the right place, and if someone that good needed install tips, how is joe shmoe going to do with it? :)

Kat_Momof3

the surelatch would be a big problem in my dh's car, too... even though the latch bars are easily visible, the vehicle seats are so upright there is just no room for big connectors... I know installing the Radian in that car would have been easier with regular latch connectors instead of the push-button ones, so I know there is no way surelatch would work... hope the 4-door cobalt is better.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm thinking of Maedze's initial difficulties with the CA with LATCH...it's just bulky and not in the right place, and if someone that good needed install tips, how is joe shmoe going to do with it? :)

Yes, but it sits on the LATCH connectors almost identically to the Avenue and Uptown, and they have the regular clips. I've met cars that the Avenue sat awkwardly on the connectors in too. It's a general design flaw of the shell, I think, more than related to the large connectors.

Now, I did have huge issues getting a Radian's IMMI connectors in a Suzuki Grand Vitara, while a Scenera's cheap little clippies slid right in. So, in some cars the location and position of the anchors may make even the IMMI connectors a pain. But I think not as many as vehicles where the shape of the seat and/or position of the anchors will interfere with the SureLATCH connectors.

scoutingbear

Another car that the surelatch would most likely not work in is the Murano! I can't use the latch with our Radian or MA in that car due to the latch bars being in the EXACT SAME SPOT as the seatbelt connects. The GN latch clips? A breeze to install. The other bulky ones? Forget it! I can wrestle the seatbelt in a lot less time!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The grandma just called me all distraught because the mom thinks the 4 mo is too upright. Sigh. I reclined it, it looks just like this video, I think it's just shocking to see your wee one in a big ol' seat the first time (and unfortunately, they claim to be powerless to move the infant base to grandma's car, I guess they had a firefighter climb on it or something and think it's hard :confused:) http://www.youtube.com/user/EvenfloBestForBaby#p/a/u/1/1evUmB6yvvY

SavsMom

So I bought a Symphony 65 yesterday - I got it for under $100 (clearanced and with a coupon) - figuring it would be a good 2nd seat and I can finally get rid of the Boulevard (daughter is refusing to even ride in it anymore because her legs are squished).

ANYHOW....I installed it rear facing in my 2010 Subaru Forester and it worked out quite well. I clipped the latch hooks on and it retracted quite a bit but I still had a little more than an inch of movement so I put my knee into the seat then reached around onto each side and gently lifted the actual latch connectors up towards the roof of the car - and voila they retracted even more so that when I took my weight off the seat was snug as a bug :thumbsup: Daughter loves the seat and is very comfy in it - even more than her Radian it seems.

Needless to say I might attempt to put it in the 09 Camry again and see if there is a trick to it...I'll let ya know if I have any success.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC