Well I tried a Radian in my car

Splash

And I met Skipspin! Yay!

Unfortunately, no matter how I installed it, there was still 4+ inches of movement at the belt path. I used it reclined and upright, the belt stalk twisted three times, the OTHER belt stalk twisted, a locking clip, nothing worked.
With the anchors outboard it was incredible, completely rock solid. I was shocked at how solid it was.
It's a shame, because it fit so nicely and Charlie seemed much more comfortable than anything else. It would have to be outboard though...
I was tempted to try a reverse belt path on it. I think I could have gotten it solid that way. They really should test it to see if that works, because that would solve a lot of the problems. If I could use a reverse belt path, I'd probably buy it.

Speaking of reverse belt path... the Regent didn't work well either. With LATCH I could only get it solid if I used the recline bar, and even then there was some movement. Long belt path was possible and acceptable, I'd probably use that and never use the anchors. But Charlie did not seem comfortable in it, and it was difficult to get it tight enough on him. Plus, I REALLY don't like that seat, so....

So I think I'm just keeping the Boulevards, and reevaluate at 33 pounds.

ADS

scatterbunny

Darn about the Radian. :( I also wish they would test it with the reverse belt path. We've loved our Futura and Husky the most of every seat we've had, partly due to the awesome installations with the reverse belt path.

JaRylan

Can you clarify what you mean by the "reverse belt path"? Is it the same as the "long belt path"?

Thanks.

mominabigtruck

I'm thinking maybe you just need to trade your car in for something more carseat friendly. If your having this much trouble with this many seats maybe you and this car just weren't meant to be together.

scatterbunny

Yes, the reverse belt path and long belt path are the same thing. It was/is also called the serpentine belt path. :)

LuvBug

yeah strollerfreak has a youtube of trying the RBP on it and it did better(but still not right). I think it would help it a lot, they should give it a test!(if they havent already).

I can NOT get the husky/regent installed with LATCH in my corolla without the recline bar. I just have to use it. period. In my mom's van it is a close call, but hers is just so that I dont HAVE to use it, but its even better with it.
That is why I prefer the LBP, I can get a rock solid install without needing the recline bar.

What slot was he on in the regent? and how far from being even?(curious for curiosity's sake)

I dont know if you saw my reply to your other thread or not but I still say send the new BVs back and when he hits 33lbs either give the regent another try or sell them and get something else. By the time he hits 33lbs the new recaro should be out and reviewed well.

Splash

I couldn't get it without the recline bar because the anchor connectors were too big, and they were right AT the level of the anchors in my car, so I couldn't get it tight enough. I got it as tight as it is possible to get, and it was too loose. With the recline bar it was fine, with the long belt path it was good as well.

I let him ride home from the mall in it (15 miles, all highway) and he didn't seem comfortable. He is dead even with the bottom slots. I used the bottom slots for him, and it was okay. The crotch strap is pretty far from him, though. I took pictures, I'll post later.

My car isn't *that* bad. I don't like it, but it's not extremely unfriendly. It's the middle seat that I'm having difficulty with. And it says, in the manual, that middle installation is not recommended because it might be difficult (that's the reasoning for not using it).
If they would OK center LATCH, then it would be fine. I can get it plenty tight with that.

If the new Recaro isn't something fabulous, then I'll stick with the Boulevards until he outgrows them. I'll find a way to make them work. I don't want the Radian outboard, and I just don't want a Regent for such a young child.

LuvBug

if I wanted to use latch in my car Id have to have the recline bar because without it the latch ends up inside and bending around the shell of the seat and I cant get it a tight install.

The crotch strap is far, I didnt like that. Even at 3.5 it is a bit far from him, when it should be at or coming from under him, but using the crotch pad helps add bulk to that area and keep him from slouching against it too much. By the time he is 33lbs he should be in the 2nd from bottom slots, but thats in cloth isnt it?

DS was 38" when he moved to the husky and already in the top slots of the marathon, so that makes a difference as well. We got it because he only had 1" max left in the MA harness and the husky was on sale for almost 100$ off lol! Like I said I tried my 1.5yo DN in it who was about 28lbs and she fit fine, but I wouldnt have liked her in it at that point for the pure reason she was small enough to still RF. She has a long torso too, though not quite like DS. She is in the top slots now in her MA at 2.7yo, just a tad above the 2nd from top and dead even with the top slots of the scenera.

Yoshi

I'm thinking maybe you just need to trade your car in for something more carseat friendly. If your having this much trouble with this many seats maybe you and this car just weren't meant to be together.

I was going to say the same thing, Splash! ;) Those DARN Subarus with their PITA center positions. We are getting a different vehicle, not because of the seatbelt install issues, though. Sorry it didn't work out, I had a feeling it wasn't an easy install. At least I feel better knowing it wasn't just me.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC