Maestro vs. Generations 65 Photos

capeKO71

Just thought some of you would be interested in this... didn't see this comparison in photos... and honestly, the Maestro really surprised me. I received it today and I most definitely will be buying these vs. the Generations for our local program.

So the stats:

Maestro - harnesses from 20-50lbs and 50" tall (with tips of ears below the top of the child restraint headrest). Boosters between 40lbs - 100lbs and 44 - 57" tall and child is at least 3 years old and whose ears are below the top of the child restraint headrest.

Generations 65 - harness from 20 - 65lbs same height requirements. Booster between 30 - 100lbs and 37" - 57" and child at least 3 year old.

So right off the bat... I LOVE that the Maestro has a requirement that the child must be 40lbs to harness... that is just FAB! And has a heigher height requirement... I will go through this with each and every client I have to make sure they use the Maestro to it's fullest extent.

Ok - so the photos -

My son is 3.75 years old, 36lbs, and 39" tall. My neice is also 3.75 years old, 37lbs and 40.5" tall.

First - right off the bat, they both said they like the maestro better... because it has cup holders. lol. I hate cup holders normally, but if they are going to make them, I'd rather they be in the seat so they don't fly off, and I don't have to attach them. The Generations 65 comes with a cup holder that attaches.

So here is my son in the Generations -
He has plenty of room - I just moved these to the top harness slots for both seats so you could see the growth.
e60b6797.jpg

f2f0afa5.jpg

Here he is in the Maestro -
c2a96d62.jpg

52f9434e.jpg

Here is my niece - to show the depth - they definitely have more leg support in the generations - which would make a difference as the child gets bigger in booster mode. But for me, its not a deal breaker.

9162d63f.jpg

7fdd4e18.jpg

And now - I'm not that great at measuring... the generations has a bit more of a dip in the seat - it's a bit more contoured... so I measured a little off the bite of the seat - because in the Generations, does fit a their little behinds a little more rounded... but honestly, I think the Maestro is at least equal... if not a little taller - and clearly, 65lbs in the generations is too generous for most kids.

My feeling is, the Maestro is a very well proportioned seat for the size/weight of a child it supports - and it allows plenty of room to grown.

f9caaa01.jpg

5c9c16bd.jpg

The Generation does have a recline feature - which can make it easier to fit a contour of a car... but again.. not a deal breaker for me...

c66734de.jpg

and crotch buckle...

9481b372.jpg

50a52dd0.jpg

I will try to get some shots of both of them in booster mode... honestly I think the Maestro will make a better booster... the belt guides really look like the will pull the belt low on the hips... so another reason I'm excited about this seat.

One last thing... my generations is a 2009 seat - it says do not use past dec. 2015
The Maestro is also a december 2009 seat (bummer) and it says do not use past dec 2017... so clearly they are giving the Maestro 8 years of life... another reason...

So my conclusion is, the Maestro is a GREAT program seat... especially with our wholesale pricing if buying for a grant. I also like that it's a hard seat to mis-use... you can't take the headpiece off without a screw driver... it doesn't move up and down... it's pretty simple. I prefer the pull cord to tighten too... vs. the typical side tighten with evenflo.

I'd say it's also a good airplane seat - it's fairly light weight and it's cheap.

The Generations "looks" a little cozier... but the Maestro's fabric actually looks nicer in person then at the store.

EDIT: just saw someone else's photos of the seats in booster mode... clearly the Maestro is a bit of a fail for booster mode... it basically doesn't fit unless you're still within the harness range... which doesn't make sense.

Evenflo does has this statement in their manual:

If you have a vehicle that does not have a tether anchorage but has lap/shoulder belts available in the back seat, a booster seat may provide better protection than an internal harness seat without a tether...

Interesting...

2nd EDIT: I also have a Serenade here - so I thought I'd play a little bit - really - the only thing that's bumming me out about this seat is the lack of the handle being able to be put back... oh - and the straps are a bit short... but I guess that will hopefully push the no-bundle me thing...

de16e8fd.jpg

42015360.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

capeKO71

Sure thing... I'll try to take some better measurements tomorrow.

I also have the symphony 65 if you need those...

veggiegirl228

I like the looks of the Maestro seat esp the taller harness height. Love the price. Love the cup holder vs the usual ones that Evenflo gives with the seats. To bad that this seat wasn't out when we bought the Gen 65 for the trip, DD would have liked it more I believe!

ETA: What are the models torso height?

capeKO71

I'll get measurements on width later tomorrow.

As for the model's torso lengths - boy is 13.5 up against the wall and girl is 14.25 up against the wall...

o_mom

I'll get measurements on width later tomorrow.

As for the model's torso lengths - boy is 13.5 up against the wall and girl is 14.25 up against the wall...

Thanks! No rush... just mulling my long-term seat situation when my MA's expire later this year. :)

capeKO71

Just did the Generations, Maestro, and Serenade... so you should see those. I'll do some other ones later.

So now that i've measured these seats - I don't think the booster mode for the maestro is all that horrible. It actually has taller belt guides then the Generations - it just also has one more taller slot then the generations - so, most kids who would be using the seat as a booster, could technically be using it like a harness... but that being said, my almost 7 year old would easily still fit in the harness... and I'm totally 100% comfortable with him in a properly fitting booster - so if this Maestro fits well as a booster, I wouldn't really care if a parent decided to skip the last harness slot and switch over. The nice thing it does, is give our larger 4 and 5 year olds the option of harnessing... and honestly, for a special needs child, this could be a great seat - because it will last most kids until about age 7 harnessed. The generations can't do that. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Firemomof3's pictures of the Maestro show the lapbelt rides really low on the lap/thighs, it appears to be an awesome booster (for very short torso'd kids, anyway, since the headrest doesn't move up). The Generations allows the lapbelt to ride way high on the abdomen on most kids, it's generally very poor as a booster for that reason. So for a program seat or people unlikely to harness to the max, the Maestro really IS a great choice, :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

Thanks so much for the comparison! I just had to give you some captions for your pics... (well, ideas for captions)...

I will remove everything below once you've had a chance to see it and hopefully laugh.

e60b6797.jpg

Mommy, can I sit in that one?? It has the cupholders!.... PLEASE???
f2f0afa5.jpg

Okay, seriously, Mom, I did say please and I smiled for you already... can we put me in that one now??
Here he is in the Maestro -
c2a96d62.jpg

YAY!! cupholders... Mommy, can I have a drink so I have a cup to put here? (tapping cupholder)

52f9434e.jpg

Cheese!... wait, where's my drink? Don't you understand I need something in one of the cupholders?

Here is my niece - to show the depth - they definitely have more leg support in the generations - which would make a difference as the child gets bigger in booster mode. But for me, its not a deal breaker.

9162d63f.jpg

Niece is... "Yay, I get my picture taken, too!".... your son... "MOMMMMMY... why did I have to get out of my new seat with the shiny shiny cupholders?"

7fdd4e18.jpg

Niece... "Hey, cuz, whatcha doing?" your son... "hehehehehehehehe.... I'm kicking you out and taking that seat back!

Yes, I'm bored... I admit it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC