When was your child able to climb into their RF seat?

beccaj

Wondering how old DS might be before he's able to climb into his RF convertible on his own. It seems to me like climbing into a RF seat might be trickier than one that is FF. Also, does it make a difference if it's a lower profile seat like a radian vs a britax that sits higher?

ADS

swtgi1982

Wondering how old DS might be before he's able to climb into his RF convertible on his own. It seems to me like climbing into a RF seat might be trickier than one that is FF. Also, does it make a difference if it's a lower profile seat like a radian vs a britax that sits higher?

Actually DD still has issues with a FF seat climbing in. Since it is so far from floor to seat, and she actually has fallen on the floor trying to get into hers in DH car.

Now as far as RF 2-2.5yr. They have the vehicle seat next to it to climb on to get in and if they fall like DD does in her FF seat they have the vehicle seat back to break their fall. Ideally she has less issues getting into her RF seat then her FF seat.

DS1 is just starting to get into his on his own RF.

armywife12

Caleb has been able to climb into his RF car seat since he was about 18-20 months old I believe. He would climb into the Grand Caravan by himself and then up into his Marathon, that then became the Graco MyRide.

myliljunebugs

DD climbed into her MA when she was about 2, same with her EFTA. I don't know if having a low profile seat would have helped her sooner or not. It SEEMS intuitive that it would be easier when the seat sits down low but I'm not sure. She had a really hard time FF'ing until she was about 4, then we bought another RF'ing seat ;)

simplychels

I dont remember when DD was able to climb into her seat herself (its rare as I prefer to keep her shoes off my cushions so I usually lift her in). But I can say I have not noticed a difference in how easily she can do it between her MA and her Radian.

a_js

At 2.5 he could climb into his seat alone. I am sorry to say I had to FF him before 2, as he outgrew the seat RF by weight. I felt (still feel) crappy about it but there wasn't another option then.

csully4

I have just recently turned my 23 mo old and the 18 mo old I watch around to RF. They used to be FF. They can both climb into their seats. I have a MR and a Symphony 65. They have been climbing into their seats for about 2-3 months now. They would climb up onto the van seat then into their seat.

2BunniesMommy

Libby was climbing into her seat starting at about 18 mo. I think it was actually easier for her when she was rearfacing because it is more contained. She fell just the other day getting into her ffing seat. Not got hurt fell, but lost her balance is all.

karlatta

DD was never given the opportunity to climb in until we got our van when she was about 21 months. But it was fine there, and she's in a Marathon RF.

My 17mo can climb into his Radian RF if I put him on the vehicle seat. He's too short to get into the vehicle seat himself, though.

flutie128

DS really didn't RF long enough for me to know. DD was climbing in around 16 or 17 months but she is very do it yourself minded. She was pulling up at 6 months and walking at 10 months.

WhatAboutPuppy

5252_518594131558_51701790_30965981_5343_n.jpg

"First time he climbed into the car, into his seat, turned and sat, and started getting straps over his shoulders (I finished up: snug straps pass pinch test, chest clip ON chest @ armpit level).
21 months old, 31 pounds."

Yeah, I documented it. lol He was climbing before this but this was the first he'd climbed INTO the car (Honda Element), up into his seat, and started buckling up. He was SOOO proud! I would say around 18 months he started doing it alone when we told him to. I say around 13 to 14 months I started really pushing him to though and teaching him how to... the Element SUCKS for RF.
He is now 27 months and 34.5 pounds and STRUGGLES to climb into a FF seat (Frontier).

Mommy2Marcus

My son was about 19-20 months when he learned to do it himself. He has a MUCH easier time climbing into a RF than he does a FF seat. He is now 3 years old. When his seat is RF he climbs into the car, onto the vehicle seat & then into his seat. I then climbed in, sat down beside him & buckled him. He needed a little guidence when he first started trying, but was a pro within a week or two.

beccaj

Thanks everyone! Looks like most were able to before age 2. :thumbsup:

WhatAboutPuppy- I love your photo capturing the big event!

I'm happy to read that the model of carseat doesn't appear to limit kids from getting themselves in at a fairly young age. I can cross that off my list of things to consider when choosing a new seat apparently!

Good to know that RF is easier - makes sense when you think about them being able to climb up on the seat first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC