Cloth Diapering

scoutingbear

Never thought about it with C, but I might want to try cloth diapering with this little one. (We also got a foster care monthly stipend for C to buy diapers and such...this time, there is no stipend :) ).

But, I am totally clueless on where to start. I have found sites and links but they overwhelm me. So, talk to me like I'm 4. I want something easy, not too many parts, not too much work, and cute is always a bonus. And what do I do with poopy diapers when we are out for the day? :confused: I want something that is economical (yes,I know they will pay for themselves in the end, but the start up cost...). How much work is it really, compared to disposables? Okay, remember, not too many links to other sites. That just leaves me scratching my head!

ADS

aeormsby

We did what I would consider pretty basic cloth diapering (didn't get all crazy and try every new thing out there). For newborns/size small I really liked using prefolds/fitteds with covers. The prefolds are the plain square ones that you use a snappi or pin with, fitteds have the elastic at the legs and snap on but still need the waterproof cover. I liked these in the early months because they are cheaper and you need a more since you change more diapers. And since I was EBF I didn't have to worry about rinsing poop out (if using formula it might work better to use a fleece liner with them). I think I had about 12 prefolds (infant size) and 12 Kissaluvs fitteds (got them when they still had a 2nds site, not sure if they still do). For covers I really like the Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, we also had a few Prowraps but they didn't fit as snug. I don't remember how many covers, probably 5-6, you can let them dry out and reuse them as long as there's no Poo on them. I had a liner bag that just snapped on the door know and could be turned inside out into the washer (no touching once they were in the dirty diaper bag).

I probably washed every 3rd or 4th day. I think I also had some small Fuzzi Bunz for when we went out (probably 3-4). If I was starting over now though I'd get the Bum Genius for outings from the start. That's what we used exclusively once they were out of the smalls. I didn't need as many since they didn't need to be changed as much. I also found that the fitteds didn't hold enough once they started peeing more at once. I actually prefer to stuff my Bumgenius with the micro fiber towels from Target (and they fit better on the Med setting I think). And they fit until they were potty trained (and used for more than 1 kid which made the $15+/diaper easier to handle). I also stocked up when they were introducing the 3rd version and stores had deals on the 2nd version.

For outings I just put them in a small wet bag or plastic bag and dealt with them when we got home. It's really just doing an extra couple of loads of laundry a week. Once you figure out the best washing routine for your diapers/washer/water. It took me quite a while before I was happy with the washing results (not too much build up). I usually do a cold pre-rinse, wash with hot water & Allen's Naturally det, 2nd wash with vinegar, warm/cold water to make sure they're completely rinsed.

And don't forget about resale when your done. I sold all of my small diapers and got a lot of the money back. Or you can buy used and save the $$ up front.

4boysmom

I like the fairly inexpensive fitteds made my motherease. We used both the one size and sizeds. Then either a motherease or bummis wrap. We have used wool on occassion and other random single fitteds but our main stash is motherease fitteds. I could not deal with figuring prefolds out. They aren't the "cutest" I suppose but the diapers are poop holders and the covers aren't too bad "fashionwise" and you could always get a few cutsie covers/woolens for "show" :)

Irishmama

My friend just got the econobum diapers for her LO and LOVES them. No leaks, easy to do, and a great price for a one-size system. I have the Mother-ease and I love them!

claire

Another cloth diaperer here! We also used prefolds and covers until my DD was about a month or a month and a half old. I looooved the Thirsties diaper covers. They fit well over the prefolds (cloth square that is fastened with pins or a plastic snappi) and we didn't have a single leak. I also had both a Prowrap and a Litewrap cover--I didn't like the fit on these as well. They seemed small for the size and were harder to use. We used several Dappi covers (think nylon pants that our mothers used to cover cloth diapers). These were extremely cheap, but not as user friendly, because they slip on over the prefold instead of utelizing velcro like the others.

If I could do this part over again I'd still use prefolds but buy all Thirsties covers to go over them. They come in lots of cute colors and work so well!!

After DD grew a bit we bought 21 BumGenius diapers. I :love: them. So much. :D I caught a special at my local cloth diapering store (not too many of these around!) and bought in bulk so the price wasn't too bad. I think I got them for around $12-$13 a diaper--much better than the $18 they go for full price! BumGenius is a pocket diaper. This means there is cover that has a pocket where you insert a super absorbent liner. I use the liners that came with the diapers, and at night use a regular liner and a newborn insert for extra absorbancy. Both of these liners come with the diapers so I haven't been out any extra money, but you can buy others that absorb better if you have a super soaker :D We may need to move up as DD grows and wets more. We have very few leaks with these diapers--usually I've done something stupid when I put them on DD and that's why they leak. I have no complaints about this product at all, but I suspect I'd love others as much. I just got a good deal on these :p

We, too, do laundry every 3 days or so. I wash on cold with no soap, then on hot with 1/4-1/2 of the recommended amount of detergent for the load size and then I do an extra rinse. On all cloth diapers you want to make sure you're not using too much detergent or detergent with any additives--it can cause buildup on the diapers and they won't absorb as well. Ewww :) I use Ecos detergent , but there are a lot of others you can use. You can find lists online and even order in bulk from Amazon if you want!

If we go out I grab a plastic grocery bag (we always accumulate these even though we mostly use cloth bags--darn Walgreens and Target!) and just put the diapers in there until we get home. Then they go in the diaper pail with the others.

We also use cloth wipes. I can describe these more if you're interested, but I've already written quite a novel here so I won't. Let me know if you want more info! You can also PM me if you'd like, but I have limited product experience, so others may come along and be more of a help.

HTH!

jasminegrl

we are also looking into cloth diapering our little one, i'm tired of literally watching money going in the garbage with every diaper change and she has a diaper rash that won't go away even with the prescription stuff from the doctor so i think the lack of chemicals in cloth may help.
Someone reccomneded this site to me, they have a $10 dollar cloth trial program. You can try out a variety of different cloth diapers to see which kinds you do or don't like. There is a $150 deposit to cover the cost of the diapers. http://jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10

claire

Someone reccomneded this site to me, they have a $10 dollar cloth trial program. You can try out a variety of different cloth diapers to see which kinds you do or don't like. There is a $150 deposit to cover the cost of the diapers. http://jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10

This looks like a pretty good deal to me! It'd be fun to try all of the different cloth diapers before you commit big $$$ to one system. And if you find out cloth diapering isn't for you? You're not out too much money. Nice find!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The problem is that everyone has a different method and different preferences, so you're going to get a ton of opinions, which will probably further overwhelm you.

I used disposables with DS until he was about 9 months from potty-training. I used pockets for him and didn't like them much.

DD has been cloth-diapered from the start, and we've used prefolds and wraps almost exclusively.

You're in SoCal, right? What might help is for you to go to a store that sells cloth diapers to look at them, touch them, play with them, ask the salespeople questions (they tend to be very knowledgeable), etc.

I can give you the names of three places, though none of them are probably close to you. I'm sure there are other places that I don't know of. Anyway, Belly Sprout in Fullerton, Kissui in Redlands, and No Sugar Added in Claremont all have a good selection of diapers. (And carriers, natural toys, etc.)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Awww...my other favorite subject. :) Yes, I'm a cloth diapering junkie.

I have been cloth diapering at least 2 booties every day for the last 3 years. Right now, I'm cloth diapering 3 booties! LOL The first year, I spent so much time (and money) trying different things...and being afraid of the dreaded prefold! LOL

Right now, our system is quite simple.

Baby (5mo). When we are home...it's prefolds by day and bG's by night. It's also bG's when we go out. I'm having to tweak my diaper pattern to fit her shape right now, but once we get that ironed out...I'll make her a stash of my pockets & fitteds as well. She's in sposies at daycare, but only for a couple more days. We are starting her in cloth as well.

Twins (2yrs, 8mo)...fitteds or pockets at home. Pockets out. Sposies daycare and night. Though we do use cds occassionally at daycare too...all depends what I have clean and stuffed for use! LOL

I wash every other day...one very large load in a front loader. I do a quick wash on cold to get the ickies off. Then, I do a 'whitest whites' load using Tide...up to the 1 line with a 'soak' and an extra rinse.

My recommendation is prefolds for the newborn/infant stage...you change a LOT of dipes. They are cheap and easy to wash. Add in a few fitteds for going out, and/or nap/nights. Once baby is bigger and filled out, pockets are my 'going out' dipes since I don't want to mess with covers in addition to diapers.

As for poopy dipes when you are out...if you are changing in a public restroom....I dump the poop right then. If not, I wrap up the dipe and toss in the wetbag. As long as your wetbag is closed...it contains the smells pretty darn well!

That's my .02. :)

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
My friend just got the econobum diapers for her LO and LOVES them. No leaks, easy to do, and a great price for a one-size system. I have the Mother-ease and I love them!
i use the flip system which is very simlar and i :love: them!

BumGenius is a pocket diaper.
not always, they also have BG all in one's...

not to mention they are the ones who make econobum, flip, some bamboo fitteds...and probably more.

The problem is that everyone has a different method and different preferences, so you're going to get a ton of opinions, which will probably further overwhelm you.
:yeahthat:

if you are not sure you are going to love cd'ing as much as the rest of us, i would recommend starting with some econobum or flips...as they are fairly inexpensive and are what have converted many people i know to cd'ing.

i wash dipes every other day and didn't find the whole routine to be a huge burden on my life or anything. my dh has no problem using them or helping launder them either.

scoutingbear

You're in SoCal, right? What might help is for you to go to a store that sells cloth diapers to look at them, touch them, play with them, ask the salespeople questions (they tend to be very knowledgeable), etc.

I can give you the names of three places, though none of them are probably close to you. I'm sure there are other places that I don't know of. Anyway, Belly Sprout in Fullerton, Kissui in Redlands, and No Sugar Added in Claremont all have a good selection of diapers. (And carriers, natural toys, etc.)

Now to find something just a bit closer to home! Great idea. Thanks. :thumbsup: (We are in northern LA county if you happen to know of anything further north...Claremont is about 1.25 hours from us)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Now to find something just a bit closer to home! Great idea. Thanks. :thumbsup: (We are in northern LA county if you happen to know of anything further north...Claremont is about 1.25 hours from us)

Those are the only ones I know of, and all are a good drive for me (40 minutes to Fullerton, 45-60 for Claremont, at least 1.25 hours to Redlands), but they're all worth it. If you don't find anything closer, take a little roadtrip. :D

umajo

Another vote for Motherease! Their side snapping fitteds (Sandy's) are really nice for small babies, and the one size diapers are all round great (although I haven't tried them on newborns yet). And I love the airflow covers too. It is a lot of snaps to do up, but you get used to it and very fast at it. The motherease products are very good at containing messes. They have an offer on their website for a one size diaper and a cover for a reduced price if you want to try it.

I've also used prefolds from newborn to toddler and they are a very good, inexpensive option, easy to wash, although not quite as good at containing leaks.

Flats are old school and take some folding, but they can be fun to use. And they are very cheap and multifunctional.

I've used Happy Heiny's pocket diapers, but didn't like them as much after a while.

I tend to use disposables if we're going out :whistle: but I would also recommend BumGenious or something like it that is fast and easy. (I have also just used my ME fitteds when out, and it was no problem.) As previous posts mentioned, you can just buy a small wetbag or use a plastic bag for soiled diapers when out and about.

Most people's washing routine is rinse, hot wash, rinse, 2nd rinse. I really like the Nature Clean detergent.

Cloth diapering can be fun and addicting :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC