Question Generations 65 questions

Hi there! :happy-wavehello:
I'm considering getting 2 of the Generations 65 for my Mom's car.
What is the verdict on the SLOT HEIGHT? DOes anyone know??
Also, does it need to be RETHREADED to adjust for a higher/lower harness slot??
TIA,
Julie

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's 16.d". Yes, it needs to be rethreaded. The Symphony 65, with a top harness height just a hair lower does not.

Wendy

Thanks for the info...
At Toys'r'us in Canada, the Symphony 65 is $200...and the Generations 65 is $99...And so is the APEX...$99.
I'm thinking and debating between the 2...as for my Mom's car (which they'd BE for), I'm not AS particular...only particular about the SAFETY...not as much on features-KWIM?
Right now, she's got...I think they're CHASEs...and they're only harnessed to 40 lbs and then BPB to 80...and for my kids to go in her car...SOON when they reach the 40lb limit, we'd have to have them UNharnessed...which I'm NOTTT wanting.
So I guess for the money, it's between the Safety 1st Apex & The Generations...any opinions??
Julie

armywife12

I think the Apex top slots are higher than the Generations top slots but I'm not 100% on that. I've heard from others that the top slots on the Apex are around 18 inches but some ladies on here say they are lower so I have no idea. If they are higher, I'd go with that. The Apex can only be used as long as there are high or adjustable headrests in the back seat though. I think the Apex makes a better booster as well so my vote is the Apex

I think then I should ask WHICH seats DON'T need rethreading?
There would be a FEW different HEIGHT/weighted kids in these 2 seats:
2 different combos:

#1. My 2 monkeys: 5yrs, 44" & <40lb & 2 1/2 yrs, 3ft+ and <40 lbs
or combo #2. my niece & nephew: 7 yrs & > 40lb 47" tall? and her little brother who is only 15 months--and already FF!:eek: I BEGGED, they did not listen!!:mad: unsure on his poundage but he's not a big guy!

Basically, I KNOW I could get FRONTIERS and be covered...but I can't AFFORD that for secondary seats...and I'd really like to REPLACE these seats with something that will:

~ keep them all harnessed to 65 lbs
~ as TALL as POSSIBLE top slots
~ be able to be a BPB to 80 or preferably 100lb
~ no rethreading harness for height adjustment would be GREAT...as I KNOW they wouldn't re-set it...and so it would be set for MY kids ONLY--KWIM?
~ PRICE is important as these aren't 'primary' seats
~ recline would be great but not a deal-breaker

BTW: I HAD my daughter (the now almost 5 year old!;) in an Apex and coughed up the dough and got FRONTIERS for BOTH of my kids...I didn't really LIKE the APEX all that MUCH...and so I HESITATE to get Apex'es...and really, I LOVVVE that KNOB on the Evenflo seats!!!:2thumbsup:

What OTHERS might work?? Any IDEAS???

Thanks in advance...whomEVER responds...

Julie

Last edited:

babygirlsmom1005

Though the Frontier doesn't have to be "re-threaded" it does have to be un-installed every time you have to make a adjustment - not sure if that was known or not.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
First Years True Fit has top slots just above 17 inches and it can be adjusted while installed. :)

fyrfightermomma

Waaah, are you kidding? I can't UP the headrest a notch without UNinstalling??
:eek:
Julie

Depends on the car :) In my van with the headrest taken off, she was on a slot that was just high enough that I could loosen the tether, reach back there a smidge, and make taller and tighten again. BUt I couldn't in my DH's Taurus.

Thanks for the responses ladies...I can't GO for the TF...even though I LIKE the seat ALOT...it just won't 'last' long enough.
I think I may GO for the generations OVER the Apex...Ugh, I don't knowww!!!:shrug-shoulders:
Julie

armywife12

Im pretty sure the true fit has taller top slots than the generations so it won't last longer. If anything, they may have the same top slots but I'm pretty sure the true fit has higher

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You say you want to harness to "at least 65 pounds" (why?) -- the Generations is not likely to do that. The Apex has a chance.

Again, since you are shopping at Canadian ToysRUs, are you in Canada? If you are, the Chase harneses to 47 pounds so you can keep using it. If you are not, you cannot use a Canadian seat in the US.

armywife12

No, what I meant was that because the generations can be used as a BPB, it can be used longer...
Ugh, maybe I should just get the Apex's???
Julie

I thought about that after I replied. I've heard it makes a poor fitting booster for most children though (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's the case then it turning into a booster afterwards doesn't really matter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC