When Do You Install the Baby's Seat?

Jonah Baby

I've got approximately 8 weeks to go, myself.
Normally I'd say this is too soon to install the baby's carseat, but the Tech I would use to do it goes in for surgery sometime in February (thus, won't be able to do it), DH sure as hell can/will not, and I've got increasing pain from SPD.
Should I put that all aside and do it at a later date anyway? Or do I do it now before things just get worse for my physically and we realize last minute we didn't do it?

When do YOU install baby's seat?

ADS

jasminegrl

i installed dd's at 38 weeks pregnant, i installed it because i didn't trust dh to make sure it was in tight enough

noahsmom24

I'd wait a couple more weeks & then install. That way just in case you need the room in those 2-3weeks you won't be having to uninstall it or just be frustrated at that moment that you installed it to early. :)
But, if you feel that you might feel worse in a few weeks then I'd install now! Only you know how you truly feel :)

Congrats btw!

aja

when i was like 24 weeks along with the twins i started making sure they would fit the way i wanted and made dh show me he could do it (he is awesome at installs - very manual oriented and a perfectionist about 'the rules'). i ended up in the hospital the last month of my pregnancy so i was glad he could do it.

with my first we installed it when we got it (at my baby shower at 38 weeks).

with marvel we installed it the parking lot of the hospital with her in arms. we adopted her and did not know we were going to be able to bring her with us that day. :love: luckily her birth parents had the same seat for their older dd and were able to help cause it ended up tricky. :thumbsup:

Hey well I see it looks like you have infant only seats for the new baby so I see no harm in installing the base now so it's ready and you can have it checked, sounds like you'd like the peace of mind that it's done. I'd keep the actual seat in the house in plastic though so it stays clean. Just my :twocents: That way if God forbid anything happened to the vehicle between now and then you'd only be replacing a base and not the whole seat which is a lot less stress and $$$

I don't have kids but I'm thinking about what I would likely do. I installed the base for my mom a few weeks before Olivia was born and had them get it checked so I didn't have to worry about it (I care more than they do) :whistle:

simplychels

I think I was about 39 weeks. maybe a bit more. I know I played before that but kept uninstalling it because I was afraid I'd crash and have to deal with the hassle of getting a new seat/ the insurance stuff. I did always keep the seat inside with me and just had the base in the car.

As it turned out we didnt even take my vehicle home from the hospital so we had to install the seat baseless with no practice. So word of advice for anyone dealing with an unfamiliar seat, practice installing it both ways if your seat allows baseless install.

Ninetales

I am 34 weeks 3 days and still haven't done it. I plan on doing it tomorrow if it's not too cold outside. I'll put the whole thing in, and once I'm satisfied I'll bring the seat back in. The hospital across the street has seat checks and I'll be taking it in there the next time they do one to make sure also.

3plus2isme

I made sure it fit in both vehicles early on... then installed it for good about a week before she was born - actually 5 days lol.

kphil

I'm due around the time you are, and have been wondering lately when I'm going to do it, too. I usually do it around 36 weeks--no later, for sure. My first seemed to be threatening preterm labor the whole pregnancy, so I figured I should have a seat in by the time it was the earliest I might actually leave the hospital with a baby if I had her then. My babies have all been full term now, but I'm still thinking with this one that I will do it in another 2 weeks or so (I'm 33.5 wks now). I want to get everyone arranged in the car the way they will be, and start getting our new system down for loading and unloading before the baby is actually here, if that makes sense.

fyrfightermomma

I did it today. I am 36 weeks but doc said any day now

However I only did the base and kept the seat in the house. Im convinced once i put in the seat i jinx myself into getting in a fender bender and not having a useable seat. And no one near me has the keyfit. So the seat stayed safely inside :)

It also gets me used to getting the other kids in the "new" way we will have to when baby comes

amyd

We went a few hours away from home at 36 & at 37 weeks so we installed it before our first trip, just in case. We took the seat with us those 2 trips, but otherwise kept it in the house until we left for the hospital.

AtTheSouthDam

I put the base in just before we left for the hospital for the induction :whistle: BUT I was only 37 weeks and I didn't think they would want to do it that day.

babygirlsmom1005

Mine got installed (for baby #2) at 37 weeks when I got off of bedrest. I wanted Madeline to get use to the idea of another seat in there with her (and she used it for her dolls before Marshall was born :rolleyes:)

Kaede's_Mom

I am due around the same time as you too:)

I am waiting a few more weeks only because our car is in the shop thanks to the man I love so much :rolleyes: so we are borrowing a car from my parents. Add to that we don't have the seat yet, it is due on my door step tomorrow.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I've got approximately 8 weeks to go, myself.
Normally I'd say this is too soon to install the baby's carseat, but the Tech I would use to do it goes in for surgery sometime in February (thus, won't be able to do it), DH sure as hell can/will not, and I've got increasing pain from SPD.
Should I put that all aside and do it at a later date anyway? Or do I do it now before things just get worse for my physically and we realize last minute we didn't do it?

When do YOU install baby's seat?

If you feel like it's too early to put the baby's seat in now, can you ask the tech who normally checks your seats to recommend another good tech in the area?

cowgirlsmommy

I would say do whatever you need to feel comfortable. I'm due March 1st and I have a tech checking the install on Feb 11th. After it's checked, it's staying in there.

Brycen'sMommy

I'll be 35 weeks on Monday so I planned to install the base sometime next week. We need to get used to the new seat arrangement for preschool drop off and pick up.

Mom2three

I installed the base a few times to play with it when I got it. Then DH brought it to the hospital the morning we were leaving. He installed the base and I checked it in the parking lot. HE DID A GOOD JOB!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Last pregnancy, I installed at 36 weeks, with PSD. 3 across, in my Corolla. Myself. It hurt like a mother but I wasn't having someone else do it, lol! I did have my husband do some of the pulling and pushing but under my strict supervision.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC