Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Know where your sticker is when flying with car seats!

I had previously flown with my older DD 5 times and not once had gotten asked to see the sticker that states the seat is acceptable for use in a plane. We hadn't flown for almost a year, but we just got back from a trip flying on Allegiant Air, and I took the Radian for older DD and the Uptown for younger DD to use on the plane. I was asked to show the sticker on the way there and the way back. And not just to the flight attendants on the plane, but also to the agent that checked us in and the person at the gate before we boarded. While juggling 2 car seats, 2 kids, and a bag by myself, I was glad I knew what they were talking about and where they were on the seat.

Are airlines asking more now to see the stickers than before or maybe it's just an Allegiant thing?
    Jenny
    CPST (Nov 2008) and Car-Seat.Org Benefactor
    Katie: 3 years, 40 lbs, 40", FF in a Nautilus and Radian (RF to 2 years)
    Sophie: 10 months, 19 lbs 14 oz, RF in an Uptown

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Know where your sticker is when flying with car seats!

I had that happen a year or two ago when flying Delta alone with DD. The flight attendant stopped me as we were boarding and demanded to see where my MA said it was FAA approved. I had no idea! We were flipping it over, looking around, etc. Even the captain or pilot or someone important came out (I was MORTIFIED) and then we found it in the wording on one of the stickers... I seriously held up the whole flight (it was a Delta Connection)...
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

Carseat Crazy

Worse! Mine had worn off and I didn't know it!!

Talk about mortifying. I'm an ex-Flight Attendant!

So not only know where it is, but confirm it's still there. If it's not, the company will send a copy no problem and you can also bring your manual. Just know where the page is that says it's FAA certified lol!

Ground agents, not F/A's should be looking for those things. I never did on principal (I was so glad to see a child restrained that I didn't want to bug the parents). I told an FAA agent so. Stop me there because I feel a rant coming on...
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I've never had a ground agent check out my seat. Only FAs, and not every time (mostly only when I bring on folded Radians.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    I've never had a ground agent check out my seat. Only FAs, and not every time (mostly only when I bring on folded Radians.)
    I have always been checked by both the FA and the gate agent. A few times I have had them ask if I was using the seat on the plane and checked the sticker at the ticket counter.

The last time I flew I had the Radians installed and then a FA asked to check the sticker. I didn't want to uninstall them (traveling on my own with 2 small children) but thankfully I was able to pull out the manual and use that.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

Carseat Crazy

Interesting...I've never been asked before, but flying with Allegiant next week, with my Radian. We'll see!
    "Retired" 911 Operator & EMT now Mom to 2 and second Mom to 4.5

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

That's good advice. It's on the very bottom of the GN. I suppose so that it will still meet the labeling requirements when it's used in backless mode.

excuse the phone quality pic -

10. Thank You from:

My Radian also has a circular sticker on the back that says something like FAA approved and has an airplane icon on it.
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

I was never asked on Allegiant. I had a horrible FA on Alaska Air who insisted that the GN was not FAA approved and that "FAA approved in harness mode" meant LATCH and that it was a booster and that I couldn't use it.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Sounds like it's still a little hit or miss as to if you have to show it.

For reference, here is the sticker I showed them on the Radian, the red writing is what states it can be used on aircraft. It's on the upper part of my seat.

Here is the sticker on the Uptown, again the red writing is what I showed them. This is near the rear facing belt path opening on my seat.

Jenny
    CPST (Nov 2008) and Car-Seat.Org Benefactor
    Katie: 3 years, 40 lbs, 40", FF in a Nautilus and Radian (RF to 2 years)
    Sophie: 10 months, 19 lbs 14 oz, RF in an Uptown

Carseat Crazy

Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

Gate agents should be the ones checking the seats. The time to look for these things is at the check-in counter.

I find it annoying, as both a former Flight Attendant and a mom who flies with car seats, that the F/A's be stuck with this job. For crying out loud, you're boarding, the parents have the seat with them, they've dragged it through the airport and installed it, it is NOT the time to check!!

End of rant...
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Senior Community Member

We flew last year with United with connections both ways and I was never asked or even looked at funny. I thought it was pretty great. They even pre boarded us so we could get the seat installed and out of the way before the rest boarded.