Know where your sticker is when flying with car seats!

jka1217

I had previously flown with my older DD 5 times and not once had gotten asked to see the sticker that states the seat is acceptable for use in a plane. We hadn't flown for almost a year, but we just got back from a trip flying on Allegiant Air, and I took the Radian for older DD and the Uptown for younger DD to use on the plane. I was asked to show the sticker on the way there and the way back. And not just to the flight attendants on the plane, but also to the agent that checked us in and the person at the gate before we boarded. While juggling 2 car seats, 2 kids, and a bag by myself, I was glad I knew what they were talking about and where they were on the seat.

Are airlines asking more now to see the stickers than before or maybe it's just an Allegiant thing?

ADS

mom2juliarose

I had that happen a year or two ago when flying Delta alone with DD. The flight attendant stopped me as we were boarding and demanded to see where my MA said it was FAA approved. I had no idea! We were flipping it over, looking around, etc. Even the captain or pilot or someone important came out (I was MORTIFIED) and then we found it in the wording on one of the stickers... I seriously held up the whole flight (it was a Delta Connection)...

Eclipsepearl

Worse! Mine had worn off and I didn't know it!!

Talk about mortifying. I'm an ex-Flight Attendant!

So not only know where it is, but confirm it's still there. If it's not, the company will send a copy no problem and you can also bring your manual. Just know where the page is that says it's FAA certified lol!

Ground agents, not F/A's should be looking for those things. I never did on principal (I was so glad to see a child restrained that I didn't want to bug the parents). I told an FAA agent so. Stop me there because I feel a rant coming on...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never had a ground agent check out my seat. Only FAs, and not every time (mostly only when I bring on folded Radians.)

NVMBR02

I've never had a ground agent check out my seat. Only FAs, and not every time (mostly only when I bring on folded Radians.)

I have always been checked by both the FA and the gate agent. A few times I have had them ask if I was using the seat on the plane and checked the sticker at the ticket counter.

The last time I flew I had the Radians installed and then a FA asked to check the sticker. I didn't want to uninstall them (traveling on my own with 2 small children) but thankfully I was able to pull out the manual and use that.

crunchierthanthou

That's good advice. It's on the very bottom of the GN. I suppose so that it will still meet the labeling requirements when it's used in backless mode.

excuse the phone quality pic -

0117102030-1.jpg

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I was never asked on Allegiant. I had a horrible FA on Alaska Air who insisted that the GN was not FAA approved and that "FAA approved in harness mode" meant LATCH :confused: and that it was a booster and that I couldn't use it.

jka1217

Sounds like it's still a little hit or miss as to if you have to show it.

For reference, here is the sticker I showed them on the Radian, the red writing is what states it can be used on aircraft. It's on the upper part of my seat.

DSCN1973.jpg

Here is the sticker on the Uptown, again the red writing is what I showed them. This is near the rear facing belt path opening on my seat.

DSCN1972.jpg

Eclipsepearl

Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

Gate agents should be the ones checking the seats. The time to look for these things is at the check-in counter.

I find it annoying, as both a former Flight Attendant and a mom who flies with car seats, that the F/A's be stuck with this job. For crying out loud, you're boarding, the parents have the seat with them, they've dragged it through the airport and installed it, it is NOT the time to check!!

End of rant...

menfusse

We flew last year with United with connections both ways and I was never asked or even looked at funny. I thought it was pretty great. They even pre boarded us so we could get the seat installed and out of the way before the rest boarded.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC