Missing out by only purchasing Nautilus'?

SAHMof2

We have a Nautalis for dd1 and had always thought that dd2 would also get one when her time came.

Well her time is coming and now mamma's getting cold feet. I do like it. I appreciate how solid its built, that she sits high and isn't difficult to install but I can't help wonder if there's better out there?

The only only thing I don't care for is the head slump (that's my issue, not hers).

Any opinions?

p.s. dh will never EVER go for the cost of a Britax (we are in Canada if that matters... we always pay more for everything).

Thanks.

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I really like the Nautilus. I have never owned one, but might shortly. I say that if you're happy with it, then go with another one. Also you might try looking at & playing with a few other seats to see how they compare.

Also how old is your DD2 & how much does she weigh?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Nautilus is a fine seat. It's great for kids who have outgrown rear-facing options and are not ready for a booster. However, the SAFEST choice available for young children (especially younger than 4 or so) is to rear-face. There are seats just released in Canada that can rear-face to 40 or 45 lbs. with tall shells. :) Rear-facing is safer for everyone, but especially for young children whose skeletal development is not as complete as older childrens' and who are proportioned differently.

If you choose to forward-face, there is not much that will do all the Nautilus will do, other than the Britax Frontier (which is out of your price range, as you say), which makes a taller high-backed booster but not a backless, and does not tend to have the head slump issues. Especially in Canada, the Nautilus is really a one-of-a-kind value. That said, many parents tend to move children into the Nautilus who would still fit into a currently-available rear-facing seat. That is the safEST choice available for young children.

Especially in your case, where you have an older child, I would look into a seat to rear-face longer in if your child is under 4 and will fit by weight and height. Once the rear-facing is outgrown, and the seat is then outgrown forward-facing, you can pass down the Nautilus if your second daughter still needs a harness, and move the oldest up to a dedicated booster.

SAHMof2

Thank you so much!

Mom2Marcus she will be three at the end of March but is very tall for her age and weighs around 36 lbs.

I hadn't thought of her age/body maturity in concidering the next car seat. I was only thinking of a really safe one that would last us for years to come which makes sense for my 4yo but my 2yo ... now you've got me thinking.

I will say that as fanatical as I am about them being harnessed for as long as possible I won't choose to turn her back to rear facing.

I can easily wait until she's 3 or closer to 40 lbs to put her in the Natulis if that's safer, however in keeping her ff'ing the Natulis seems so well built and enforced that she could/should go in it now instead of 3 months from now no?

If I keep her ff'ing is the Natulis a "poor" choice for her age?

You mentioned the Frontier ... is that a good alternative for her young age that will last for a long time harnessed?

Sorry if I'm dis-jointed.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Nautilus and Frontier last about the same time harnessed by height. Most kids outgrow it by height before weight.

All seats are safe if properly used and installed and appropriate to the age and maturity of the child. Your daughter is probably not significantly safer forward-facing in one seat over another; what you're looking for are fit, comfort, and convenience features. The Nautilus tends to be well-reviewed in those categories by parents and kids alike. Remember though that the extra cushion is only for children who are under the bottom slot of the Nautilus, not for bigger kids. It needs to come out before she goes in the seat. :)

R&J'sMom

I love my 2 Graco Nautilus car seats. In fact, I recently sold my 2 Britax Marathon seats and now we use the Graco seats full time.

scoutingbear

We have 4(!) GN's! My boys love them, they install so easily and there is nothing tricky about it. If I had to repurchase their seats, I would probably go with the GN again due to the value of the cost for how long it is lasting them. (They like the cup holders and cubbies). C does have head slump in it and it takes him slightly longer to fall asleep in that seat, but he doesn't complain.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I can easily wait until she's 3 or closer to 40 lbs to put her in the Natulis if that's safer,
do you mean RF or FF? If you mean RF, you can only keep her there until 40# if her seat goes to 40# or higher RF. If her current seat goes to 30#/33#/35# RF, then she can NOT RF in it at all since she is 36#.

mytwobugs

We have 2 GN and have found them to be great. The only things I would throw out there in considering getting GNs for your DD2 is that because they are so wide, if you have a car and ever want to do 3 across (carseats or carseat/adult combo) and have 2 GN's nothing else will fit. Also for travel they are a pain because they are heavy and too big to fit through the x-ray scanner. If you need flexibility in either of these areas you might want something narrower like the radian (not sure of the cost in Canada so not sure if this is reasonable)

SAHMof2

Thanks so much for that. Airtravel isn't an issue and we already can't fit two seats and mommy hips in the back of our CRV. Thanks for the tip!

Oh and they'll be no more babe's for this mamma so two GN will do. ;)

bubbaray

I have both the Nautilus and the Frontier and, install cursing aside, I much prefer the Frontier. I really do not like how my DD#1's head flops in the Nautilus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC