Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Is there a competing product to the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper?

Are there any other products on the market that attach to the parent's bed other than the Arm's Reach?

We don't have any of our baby stuff from Jordan anymore.

I don't want to buy a full sized crib at all.

I'm leaning toward the original sized Arm's Reach co-sleeper (with leg extensions) to use for the new baby. We definately plan to co-sleep for at least a couple of years with this baby, but I'd like something attached to our bed that I can move the baby into in case I need to leave the room, or we want to DTD, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with the Arm's Reach product itself. I'm just wondering if there is any other products on the market that do the same thing. Or, do they have a monopoly on it.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member mcomommy's Avatar

Re: Is there a competing product to the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper?

I have seen bassinets that attach similarly but nothing quite like the arms reach. I really want one for the next kid.
    E wife to J and homeschooling mommy to
    M 11 years in a seatbelt
    C 9 years in a Graco Affix BB
    O 7 years in a Graco Affix HBB
    H 3 years in a Chicco Nextfit

We have an Arm's Reach and it! We now are using it for our second child and it has held up great. I've never seen anything else like it.

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

There were some Simplicity bassinets that attached to the bed and had one side that dropped down but they were recalled.

Senior Community Member Brycen'sMommy's Avatar

Baby Trend has a new play yard that attaches to the bed and is bed height and is a similar concept to the Arm's Reach. I'm thinking about one for our new baby due next month.

Mini

Full size
    B-9y Incognito, L-7y Harmony Transit
    M-5y Britax Parkway, E-2y Graco Size4Me
    A-9mo Graco Milestone, S-6mo Graco CC35, Baby Girl Due 6/16
    All riding safely in a 2016 Ford Transit Wagon

CPS Technician

We love our full size Arm's Reach...and if the Baby Trend works the same, that's great! However, I'm not aware of anything else that has a *30* pound weight limit on the bassinet portion that attaches to the bed like the Arm's Reach does. It's worth every penny for that reason (to me, anyways!). We got ours from Albeebaby.com last year for $120 w/free shipping!

henrietta

Not trying to be snarky at all, I really want to know: Does the 30# weight limit really matter? I thought you had to discontinue use once the baby could roll over?
    Abbysnail ~ 11 ~ Maui FR85 (booster mode) and Leopard Olli
    Chica ~ 9.5 ~ Pink Monterey and Julius Olli
    Loveybug ~ 3.5 ~ rfing in a Cranberry TFP and ffing in a FR85

Quote Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
    Not trying to be snarky at all, I really want to know: Does the 30# weight limit really matter? I thought you had to discontinue use once the baby could roll over?
    I assume that statement is simply to cover their butts. I know lots of parents that let babies that can roll over nap in the parents bed. They set up borders of pillows. I see no difference between that and continuing to let them use the Arm's Reach.

Honestly, I would get the Arms Reach if it is going to be the baby's main sleep space. So many other bassinets and pack and play type things have been recalled. The Arms Reach seems to have a great track record.

We had the mini, and it was definitely worth the $$$ - very sturdy and well made . We will use it again for this baby, if he is willing to sleep once in awhile. (DD never slept in it, but that was her deal, not the fault of the co-sleeper.)
    michelle mama to
    dd 10.30.06 graco connext & recaro performance booster
    ds 5.4.10 sunshine kids radian xtsl & graco nautilus safety surround
    riding safely in a 2014 mazda 5 and a 2002 subaru forester

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

It would have made a big difference to me... DS was ~15lbs by 6wks. The Baby Trend one wouldn't have been worth it for us.

lol, I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of a mom who's peanut didn't even hit 20lbs until well after her 1st birthday. I had the Mini but never really used it much. DD didn't like it for some reason. She slept fine in the bassinet of two other playpens, but never the cosleeper. I was able to recoup most of what I paid, selling it on Craigslist.
    Abbysnail ~ 11 ~ Maui FR85 (booster mode) and Leopard Olli
    Chica ~ 9.5 ~ Pink Monterey and Julius Olli
    Loveybug ~ 3.5 ~ rfing in a Cranberry TFP and ffing in a FR85

Wow, that BabyTrend one sure is neato. We don't get things like that up here. I do wonder about recalls though. I'm so leery about sleep products (not sure what else to call them).

I used a mini pack n' play with the bassinet for the times when E wasn't in bed with me.

My sister used an Arm's Reach and thought it was worth every last penny.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

From the Arm's Reach web site it appears you discontinue use when baby can pull up to a kneeling position on their own.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    It would have made a big difference to me... DS was ~15lbs by 6wks. The Baby Trend one wouldn't have been worth it for us.
    Not the co-sleeper but the regular BT "P&P"... I have a picture of my then 22mo and 3.5yo who were clearly over 15 pounds, probably 6 times that between both of them who climbed up into the bassinette when I went to lay their NB brother down in the bedroom (literally to lay him down, in a quieter room not to nurse him down in another room). While not ideal I trust the P&P to hold more than 15 pounds if needed .

Natalie,

I posted about this over the summer. While the concept is good, the mattress sits several inches below the edge of the co-sleeper, even when used in the mode to attach to the bed, so you really can't nurse the baby while in this space. Maedze had some good solutions, but in reality, for me, it makes it no different than a PNP because the baby isn't really level with the bed height. If I can find my post, I will let you know (ETA found - see link below) . It was in the old gear section.

My conclusion is that it is an over-priced, heavier PNP with less flexibility.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...+reach+missing
    Last edited by ctbcleveland; 01-07-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added link.
    Chardon, Ohio - One Heartbeat - 2/27/12

CPS Technician

Totally matters!!! We just stopped using it for our 16 mos old, and only b/c I got tired of it in our room (wanted the space) and b/c I feel he's pretty safe in our bed now, even without bedrails. I'm sure a PNP would hold more than 15 lbs, even in the bassinet position, but our Arm's Reach is so much sturdier than our PNP. I didn't stop using it when he could sit up, b/c he was mostly only in it when we were in the bedroom w/him anyways. My friend's and sil would have been able to keep their babies in an Arm's Reach and/or in their bedrooms w/them much longer b/c of the weight limit on the bassinet portion. My nephew was 15 lbs well before 3-4 mos and he was much too large for the regular bassinet and my friend's dd wouldn't sleep anywhere unless she was touching mom, which the Arm's Reach makes easier.

hths

henrietta

I owned an Arm's Reach Co Sleeper & LOVED it! It was a life saver for us. I used it for Marcus untill he was around 25lbs.
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

I thought about the arm's reach with my second but ended up using my crib side car style. With the castors removed and matress at the highest position it was perfectly level with our mattress and I could easily nurse with baby in the cib. I found it easier than the bed rail method that I did with my first. It was also a breeze to transition my DD at 1 year out of our room because she was already use to her crib so I just had to put the side rail back on and slowly move her bed out of our room into hers.

Mom to 3 - Ontario, Canada
    DS1: 7 LBB Apramo, HB TurboBooster (w/ screws )
    DD: 4.5 FF Radan XT, Harnessed Nautilus
    DS2: 2 RF Radian XT, RF True Fit

I'm getting ready to use ours for the 4th time, but to be honest, I could never get any of my first three kids to actually sleep in the thing. It was great for middle of the night diaper changes, though . I would really like to get a nicer, organic mattress for it this time, and I think that might make this baby more likely to sleep in it than on the mattress it comes with (it's a very thin, vinyl covered mattress), but I hate to invest in a new mattress and then have a baby who still never sleeps in it.
    Mom to: dd 17yo
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus
    and newbie coming mid-2017