Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy MommyofBoogieBear's Avatar

Marathon in plane?

i know this topic has been mentioned some time before.. but I will ask anyway. Can a marathon be used in the plane? Also, is it a LAW that kids need to be in carseats in the plane under a certain age?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Marathon in plane?

Very few carseats are not FAA approved (boosters, the Apex, the Regent, the SafeGuard Go, off the top of my head. Infant seats, convertible seats, and combination seats used with their harnesses generally are all approved). You'll want to get a seat that has an armrest that goes up so you will have room to install the seat.

It is not a LAW that a child needs to be in a restraint, but it is a recommendation that children who can fit in a child restraint should use it up to its limits. So with a Marathon that would be 33 pounds RFing and 65 pounds FFing, or to the height limits.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Yes, the Marathon fits -- you may or may not need/want assistance carrying it + kiddo (GogoKidz is great for transport through the airport) & installation on the plane is different than in the car (different belt types)....

FAA policy urges parents of kids under 40# to use approved carseats on planes to reduce injuries from turbulence: hence early boarding for families with young children.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Carseat Crazy MommyofBoogieBear's Avatar

ok thanks! very helpful! it is also helpful to know that the Regent is not one that is approved.

Wendy, I noticed you have a denim Britax. do you like the material? does it fade?

thanks guys for the info!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

It's faded a bit. Not as much as some other denims I've seen, like a Roundabout denim. Don't know why it's so different. Maybe they had it in the sun, but Piper's other one is outboard.

I'm so sick of blue I'm not a good one to ask. Piper doesn't mind it in the least, it vacuums easily, and it shows stains far less than I would have thought.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

We've flown multiple times with our Marathon and Wizard. Both fit fine in the seats. Now that my ds is in a Regent, we're going to bring the Wizard for the plane and probably buy a booster seat to use just for the trip (for the rental car - not the plane). Ds is old enough now and mature enough to sit still and wear the plane's seat belt for the flight.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyofBoogieBear View Post
    ok thanks! very helpful! it is also helpful to know that the Regent is not one that is approved.

Wendy, I noticed you have a denim Britax. do you like the material? does it fade?

thanks guys for the info!
    We also have a denim wizard. It has faded in spots but not bad. It's worn well considering how many times it's been puked and peed in.