Black Exterior, Black Interior

kalishea

Anyone have a vehicle with a black exterior and black interior? I am looking at purchasing a new vehicle and love black on black. But now that I have a LO (7 months old), I am worried about it. Just wanted to know if anyone regretted getting this combo with children? I worry mostly about heat (we have 4 seasons here, but summer gets in the 100's) and cleaning.
Thanks!

ADS

Kaede's_Mom

Anyone have a vehicle with a black exterior and black interior? I am looking at purchasing a new vehicle and love black on black. But now that I have a LO (7 months old), I am worried about it. Just wanted to know if anyone regretted getting this combo with children? I worry mostly about heat (we have 4 seasons here, but summer gets in the 100's) and cleaning.
Thanks!

I don't at the moment, but have in the past with a LO. A beach towel over the LO's seat will help out a lot. Also tint the windows, that makes a huge difference.

kathysr98

I currently do. I have my tint done to the darkest allowed in my state. I have not had any problems as far as dd's seat goes, and we live in Louisiana. It is a bit warm on my legs when I sit on the leather mid-day in the summer. As far as spots, it's great. Nothing shows.

MoreLatte

I have a Graphite Volvo with black leather interior and I regret it! It looks sharp, but with kids, its just hard to keep clean. The backs of the front seats always have dirt on them...I scrub it off but it seems to reappear. And every little fuzz ball/speck of dirt/dust shows up on the floor and drives me crazy.

I just feel like it never looks clean (the interior). And then there's the hot factor in the summer. I won't willingly buy another vehicle with black interior.

Marvin711

Don't do it!! We just got rid of ours...and I seriously did a happy dance! LOL It wasn't so bad at first with just one LO but as he got older and we added a second LO it was awful! Never clean, showed crumbs like crazy! Hot in the summer. Not to mention it started to feel so closed in with 2 big carseats and a dark interior! DH just got a new car (black again) but both us would not budge on the interior being tan this time! :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
While my exterior isn't black but dark navy blue with black leather interior. I live in Texas where 100+ isn't uncommon for 4-5mths out of the year. I will admit it gets hot in the vehicle. Things we do to help is 1 get a vehicle with remote start. It helps a ton because I can start the vehicle from a distance. Once I have the vehicle loaded up it's cooled enough to help. Plus window tint is a MUST period. Get as dark as you legally can for your state. I promise it helps big time. I admit I have a thin towel I put on my seat bottom in the summer or my legs would be sweating & sticking to the seats when I wear shorts. This wasn't an issue when I had fabric seats in a previous black on black vehicle I owned. Also leaving the windows cracked just a little bit not enough for someone to get in the vehicle but enough for the heat to vent out.

Look into ceramic based tint.

It gets 115+ in the summers here. I have a white car with a light interior cuz I'm sorta paranoid about heat. My old car had a black leatherette interior. B/c of the tint I had, you could wear shorts and have your bare skin touch the interior without it being painful. Expensive tho, but well worth it to me. Even tho the current one has a lighter color scheme, I still put the tint in so the passengers (the babies) would be extra comfortable.

I have Huper Optik 30 in the back (there's 20% in Europe and haven't found a place that's imported the 20 yet) and V-Kool 70 in the front (cuz CA doesn't allow you to have more than 70% tint in the front).

canadiangie

I do.

I kind of dig it, actually. It looks sharp and I manage to keep it fairly clean even with two rf'ing toddlers in snowboots. It gets detailed every spring which helps a lot. Having a hand vac also helps with crumbs, etc.

The back windows are tinted, which helps with the heat. (yes, it does get pretty hot here, lol)

I guess I think it's fine as long as you're realistic about, well, life. Things get dirty sometimes. For the most part it's all cleanable. No biggie.

I dunno... :eek: It's not like a grey interior is more clean, it just looks that way. The dirt is still there.

I do.

I kind of dig it, actually. It looks sharp and I manage to keep it fairly clean even with two rf'ing toddlers in snowboots. It gets detailed every spring which helps a lot. Having a hand vac also helps with crumbs, etc.

The back windows are tinted, which helps with the heat. (yes, it does get pretty hot here, lol)

I guess I think it's fine as long as you're realistic about, well, life. Things get dirty sometimes. For the most part it's all cleanable. No biggie.

I dunno... :eek: It's not like a grey interior is more clean, it just looks that way. The dirt is still there.

How hot does it get in Calgary? I like black interiors cuz of how little they show minor dirt, but with the 115+ summers here, I'm sacrificing the black interiors.

canadiangie

How hot does it get in Calgary? I like black interiors cuz of how little they show minor dirt, but with the 115+ summers here, I'm sacrificing the black interiors.

Ha! It gets HOT here my friend. +35 isn't unheard of.

(off to translate that for you, and will ETA what I get)

ETA: 35C = 95F

And really, Codex, we survive just fine with our black interior. ;)

I might add that since it gets as cold at -35C here (approx -30F) our +35 in the summer feels really wonderfully hot. I soak it up.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I have black interior and all my windows tinted dark (except the windshield) and I have never had a problem with it being hot or the leather hurting my skin because of the heat.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have black interior and all my windows tinted dark (except the windshield) and I have never had a problem with it being hot or the leather hurting my skin because of the heat.

I must be a wimp, lol. We have a silver-ish SUV with light gray leather interior and even though we have the darkest window tint allowed (I take that back, we're 1 step lighter than limo tint in the back), it's super uncomfortable for me to sit bare-legged on the leather. The one summer we had the car before I made dh get it tinted was unbearable and I had to sit on a towel.

I wonder if the type of leather affects how it retains heat? You know how some is stiffer than others, some has the little holes poked in it, etc. Ours is just plain ol' leather, not real stiff, but not buttery soft either.

BudgieStew

We have an all black leather interior and the car itself is a burgundy with a white top and it gets really hot. The windows and sunroofs are darkly tinted as well.
We had a light blue with grey leather interior for my last van and it defiantly did not get as hot. I was amazed how much hotter it got.

If I am parked in my driveway I leave the windows cracked and make sure that the sunshades are over the sunroofs to make a little difference. And before we leave I open all four windows/sunroof to air it out. Some of the FORD trucks have cooling seats. DH was really disappointed that it was not offered for our car...I don't need the cooling seats but am ticked pink with the heated seats.

But really I will survive, its either freezing cold in the winter or scorching hot in the summer. You can't win and I really love the look of the all black interior.

Ha! It gets HOT here my friend. +35 isn't unheard of.

(off to translate that for you, and will ETA what I get)

ETA: 35C = 95F

And really, Codex, we survive just fine with our black interior. ;)

I might add that since it gets as cold at -35C here (approx -30F) our +35 in the summer feels really wonderfully hot. I soak it up.

-35C?!?!?!?! Holy smokes? Yeah, I'd soak up as much heat as I could too.

95F doesn't bother me too much. I can even take 100F. It's when it's 110+ that hurts. 115+ REALLY hurts. Altho I still don't think it'd be as bad as -35C. And I prefer cold over heat too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC