Seats that do well untethered

fyrfightermomma

I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna keep S rear facing. She's getting tall (about a 16" torso although I admit I never measured) and is gaining a lot of weight. She's pretty much at the top slots of the Young Sport (an inch to go) and on the top slots of the Radian FFing (about 1 1/2"-2" to go) to give you an idea of her torso height. I really like the idea of keeping the two big ones in the 3rd row, and the baby in the 2nd row with one seat stowed.

Problem is there is only one anchor in the 3rd row. So one kid would have to be untethered. E probably won't be boostered full time until age 6 so I have a ways for that.

I hate not having a tether, but I tried only have one kid in the 3rd row and two in the 2nd and I didn't really like it. It was too ackward to reach back there and buckle for me. Maybe I'm just a wuss, I dunno. But I really like having that big space on the stowed seats to climb in in winter or change diapers etc. I'd much prefer the two big kids in the back.

I remember hearing the GN did really good untethered. Any other seats that do good? I don't have switchable retractors. It's a Dodge Grand Caravan so they just lock at the latchplate. I was under the assumption the switchable retractors were "better" cause it almost acted like a top tether. So mine doesn't have that aspect.

What seats besides the Radian do well untethered? Which child would you put in an untethered seat? An older or younger child? What about having the 2nd row seat in front of them? Will they strike it?

She's in two XT's right now mainly RFing and when E is at school she rides in the YS just cause it's easier when I'm pregnant than huffing back there to buckle her RFing (yes I admit being lazy)

So she is almost 3, 38-39" and 33 or so pounds. This wouldn't happen until about 3 1/2 about (summer probably) Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks!

ADS

fyrfightermomma

Thanks for the link but what in the world does all that mean? LOL.

What are "good" numbers (I was looking at other seats I owned as well. The lower the # the better?

Evolily

Lower is better. For tethering I'm most concerned with head excursion, as that is what the tether is trying to reduce. The untethered top number is 813, the tethered top number is 720. Some seats *coughcoughbritaxcoughcough* actually have higher tethered numbers than the GN and radian have untethered.

Oh, and HIC is something like Head Injury Criteria.

canadiangie

I think I posted at one point about a more realistic set-up for your brood to be.

Put E in the 3rd row, driver's side where the TA is.

Put the noob in the 3rd row, passenger side.

Stow the passenger side captain's chair.

Put S in the driver's side captain's chair either rf or ff (if ff she has a TA in this location, right?).

You can just open the pass sliding door and set the KF down. Climb in and buckle the big girls. Then drop the KF onto it's base, and voila. Everyone is safest.

I, personally would not be comfy not using a TA if there is one to be had. I don't see the above set-up as more work, so it's kind of like a no brainer to me. :)

melniemi

I think I posted at one point about a more realistic set-up for your brood to be.

Put E in the 3rd row, driver's side where the TA is.

Put the noob in the 3rd row, passenger side.

Stow the passenger side captain's chair.

Put S in the driver's side captain's chair either rf or ff (if ff she has a TA in this location, right?).

You can just open the pass sliding door and set the KF down. Climb in and buckle the big girls. Then drop the KF onto it's base, and voila. Everyone is safest.

I, personally would not be comfy not using a TA if there is one to be had. I don't see the above set-up as more work, so it's kind of like a no brainer to me. :)

I think this is the perfect set up. You can reassess when baby needs a convertible

TA = tether anchor

Maedze

Yeah, I'm going to say that not tethering a forward facing seat is just not a viable alternative, no matter how annoying or inconvenient it is. It's a serious safety issue.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Have you looked into having an additional tether installed? Before everyone jumps at me saying it isn't possible, I have had it confirmed by 3 different parts managers at different dealerships for the 2002 and newer Grand Caravans and T&C's. I have the part number if you want to look into it at your dealership. I am like you and want to have my two oldest in the back row when baby comes. I am having another anchor installed because I just am not very comfortable having a FF seat untethered if a tether is available.

fyrfightermomma

I'll try switching baby and sophie around and see how that works. For whoever asked, yes the two middle seats have tether anchors and one driver side 3rd row. It just makes me mad there are only 3 in a car that can seat 5 children. I wonder what I will do when #4 comes along, especially since by then probably a lot of boosters will be able to be tethered. Then you gotta pick who gets the one back there

For the PP, yes I'd love the part number. I'll call our dealer and see if ifs possible to get. I know in the past half the people here said they wouldnt use it cause it wasnt in the LATCH manual and half said they would cause it was made for the car in question. I'll have to investivate further and see what I wanna do about getting it or not

Hopefully I will have a child NOT built like S that will last in the KF for a while (she outgrew the bucket at like 4 months by height). Then by the time he needs a convertible, E will be booster ready. Otherwise Im stuck with the same problem, a RFer in the 3rd row which I hate, an untethered FFer in that spot inthe 3rd row, or two kids in the middle which I already decided sucked. Grow Evie, grow!!! LOL

canadiangie

I'll try switching baby and sophie around and see how that works. For whoever asked, yes the two middle seats have tether anchors and one driver side 3rd row. It just makes me mad there are only 3 in a car that can seat 5 children. I wonder what I will do when #4 comes along, especially since by then probably a lot of boosters will be able to be tethered. Then you gotta pick who gets the one back there

For the PP, yes I'd love the part number. I'll call our dealer and see if ifs possible to get. I know in the past half the people here said they wouldnt use it cause it wasnt in the LATCH manual and half said they would cause it was made for the car in question. I'll have to investivate further and see what I wanna do about getting it or not

Hopefully I will have a child NOT built like S that will last in the KF for a while (she outgrew the bucket at like 4 months by height). Then by the time he needs a convertible, E will be booster ready. Otherwise Im stuck with the same problem, a RFer in the 3rd row which I hate, an untethered FFer in that spot inthe 3rd row, or two kids in the middle which I already decided sucked. Grow Evie, grow!!! LOL

Get a SafeSeat or SR32/35? :p

triscuitsmom

Could you put one ffing girl in the second row and the other one and the baby in the third? That's what I'd do in the same situation (but then I'm in Canada, so it's what I'd have to do since top tethers are mandatory).

I loaded an infant seat over the third row of the van and didn't find it that bad, so maybe that could be an option? I don't know who would be safer if you have choose one untethered, just throwing ideas out for consideration :)

ETA: I see it's been suggested lol... that's what I get for leaving tabs open for most of the day before responding lol

hillary116

Have you looked into having an additional tether installed? Before everyone jumps at me saying it isn't possible, I have had it confirmed by 3 different parts managers at different dealerships for the 2002 and newer Grand Caravans and T&C's. I have the part number if you want to look into it at your dealership. I am like you and want to have my two oldest in the back row when baby comes. I am having another anchor installed because I just am not very comfortable having a FF seat untethered if a tether is available.

do you have the part number for a 2004 Town and Country? If so, can you PM it to me or let me know how to find it? I really need TAs for my third seat.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Here's the part number for anyone who is interested. 05012007AB I would absolutely call your own dealership to confirm and what not. I won't advise whether anyone should have it based on the fact that it's not in the LATCH manual, but I was reassured on several occasions that since it is in their Dodge/Chrysler database it is approved by them.

When I called (I went through three different places) I simply gave them the part number and asked them to tell me what it was. I didn't want to give any hint that I wanted/needed a tether anchor because I didn't want some dingbat to think they could just rig one up for me. All three parts managers confirmed that it was indeed an additional tether anchor for the '02-'08 Caravans/T&C's.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC