Should I contact sunshinekids about the cracks in my seat?

remken

For those who don't know I was involved in a very low speed rearend crash (less than 10 mph) wich resulted in my sons radian getting 2 crack in it.

Here are pics of the cracks.
The first is of the crack on the bottom left side if your facing the seat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/remken/102_0185.jpg

The next pic is of the crack by one of the screws on the same side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/remken/102_0456.jpg

This car seat has not been involved in any other accidents and did not have these crack when I first installed it. So the crash is the only thing I can think of that caused them.

ADS

southpawboston

ABSOLUTELY contact them. but they may say they are not liable for the damage... and that you may have to have insurance pay for replacing them... was the other party at fault? if so, their insurance should cover the replacement.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
give them a call/email and see what they have to say, but i have to agree it does worry me if a 10mph crash will do that, what's my seat going to do at 35 or 60, i know i know it passed standards at 30mph, but what if someone backs into it a walmart and drives off, i'm screwed b/c i don't have a police report, and ya know.... ok that's not likely but still... ???

southpawboston

i'm wondering if the radian was defective to begin with? and the cracks weren't visible when you first installed it but got worse once the seat was in the car and under tension from being installed tightly?

adamsmommy

Your first pic is cracker in the same spot where mine was when I recieved it. Strange. Let me see if I can find the thread.

adamsmommy

Nope, I erased them. I showed dh your pic and he seems to think ours was lower. Man, why do I erase my pictures sometimes!! Didn't think I would need them again.:confused:

adamsmommy

Ok, dh saved the pic on a disk. He said for future reference.

Sorry for the scare, but my heart about jumped out my chest when I first saw your pic. Here is mine.

seat002.jpg

Again. sorry if I freaked anyone out!!

skaterbabs

Is there a reason you didn't replace the seat after a crash? Car seats are a one-time use item, after a crash (no matter how minor) they're supposed to be replaced unless the manufacturer specifies differently.

remken

Not sure if your asking me or the other poster with the crack.

My radian is no longer in use. I took it out the same day I was rearended and put my sons wizard in.

I also got him a regent since I prefer having 2 seats for him.

remken

Ok, dh saved the pic on a disk. He said for future reference.

Sorry for the scare, but my heart about jumped out my chest when I first saw your pic. Here is mine.

seat002.jpg

Again. sorry if I freaked anyone out!!

Does yours have a crack by the screw above it also?

I'm going to e-mail them in the morning and see what they say.

adamsmommy

Does yours have a crack by the screw above it also?

I'm going to e-mail them in the morning and see what they say.

I actually didn't look that close. I saw that big chunk missing and took it back. I am going to go take the new one out and look it over real close just to be safe.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Yikes! I am going to be checking our new Radian frequently for cracks! How scary that a 10 mph crash could cause cracks! I'm really hoping it's a defect because it sure wouldn't be good if seats were cracking at 10 mph! What are the DOM's for these 2 cracked Radians? Just curious! :confused:

southpawboston

Yikes! I am going to be checking our new Radian frequently for cracks! How scary that a 10 mph crash could cause cracks! I'm really hoping it's a defect because it sure wouldn't be good if seats were cracking at 10 mph! What are the DOM's for these 2 cracked Radians? Just curious! :confused:

it may not have been the crash that caused them. they may be casting flaws or some other structural flaw that happened after the seat was tightened into place.

remken

I'm getting ready to E-mail them now. If the crash didn't cause the cracks, would it be my fault from installing it to tight?

adamsmommy

The DOM on the cracked one was 8/06.

With the seat folded, it is very bottom heavy in that area. I wonder if they are being dropped by the manufacturer and not really being looked at??

Or maybe the box being dropped in that area?

southpawboston

I'm getting ready to E-mail them now. If the crash didn't cause the cracks, would it be my fault from installing it to tight?

of course not. no seat should break from installing too tight... i'm just thinking that the frame might have had a manufacturing defect that didn't get noticed until some sort of force was placed on it... either by installing it or by the crash... because you said those cracks weren't there when you first got the seat. but there's no way in a proper seat should break just from installing tightly!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC