Would you open?

mom2kk

I have two new toys errrr... car seats that arrived in the last couple weeks. Baby isn't here for several months yet, and it is easier to store the seats in their sealed boxes than if they were out. Its hard not to open them just to drool over :) but now I'm questioning whether I should open them even though moving them around or storing may get harder. Have you ever received a damaged seat, or one not as described by the outside packaging? They were both brand new. One's a Recaro Como and the other a SafeSeat (part of a travel system). Would you go ahead and "break the seals" to inspect or wait? I was going to open the SS in about 10weeks, which still will allow tons of time to get a different one if needed and also get it properly installed before occupant arrival. The Como add about another 6 months to that, whenever baby is too heavy to carry around in the SS.

ADS

Joyofbirth

I would open them and be sure to everything is okay with them. Plus, I can't stand not opening boxes the second they arrive. You can always put them back in the box and tape it closed. I've done that. We have a como that mostly lives in its box. It goes in my dh's truck from time to time.

amyd

I would open them and be sure to everything is okay with them. Plus, I can't stand not opening boxes the second they arrive. You can always put them back in the box and tape it closed. I've done that. We have a como that mostly lives in its box. It goes in my dh's truck from time to time.

This is what I'd do too. Sometimes you have a limited time for a return or exchange. I'd want to make sure I was happy with the seats within that time frame.

mommy-medic

Whaaa??? How can you NOT open them and play with them? Smell that new car seat smell.... Adjust the straps... Send in the registration cards.....Strap a little teddy bear in and rub your baby belly......Figure out the ins and outs of all the bells and whistles of each seat.......Do test installs...... Figure out who goes where and what seat goes with which vehicle interior best.......

Or am I just neurotic? :D

noahsmom24

How have you not opened the Boxes yet? I couldn't have done it!
I think Mommy-medic has it down, I would be installing, figuring things out & I did when my regent came today LOL I opened the box pulled it out "ouch my back" & started to play!

Kaede's_Mom

I would!

Of course it would be to make sure they ok and what they are suppose to be, and a test run in the cars to make sure that fit well...um yeah that would be my excuse;)

FLmom

Absofreakinlutely, those boxes would be open. Like PP said you could always put them back. Honestly, I'd be tempted to not even keep the como b/c by the time the safeseat is outgrown who knows what will be out. Plust I'd hate losing seat life for no reason but that's just ME. You seem to have experience with comos so maybe you know you're going to love it already.

simplychels

Whaaa??? How can you NOT open them and play with them? Smell that new car seat smell.... Adjust the straps... Send in the registration cards.....Strap a little teddy bear in and rub your baby belly......Figure out the ins and outs of all the bells and whistles of each seat.......Do test installs...... Figure out who goes where and what seat goes with which vehicle interior best.......

:yeahthat:

but add in pet them, because apparently that is my favorite activity when I walk past a new seat thats setting up home in my living room until it needs to be used.

cryswilkins

How can you sleep at night with TWO car seat boxes just sitting in your house waiting to be opened. The horror.......

amyd

Did someone say something about strapping in a teddy bear?:eek:

BearinSR.jpg

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

You're not neurotic! I agree, I always have to open immediately and yup, play with them!!!!!

steph_s

I would defiantly open the seats!

Can I ask though, why did you get the como now? It's loosing life just sitting there and it's not the best seat on the market now let alone well into the future when this baby outgrows the ss.

mom2kk

Oh it's taken great discipline to NOT take them out and do all the above! But I also remember from the SnugRide system and the other Comos what a PITA it is to deal with the boxes and getting them back into the boxes! I especially don't expect the SS to go back in its box, with the stroller pieces in there...which its totally killing me not to get to admire the new system all put together, lol. It's such a pretty pattern, too.

mom2kk

I would defiantly open the seats!

Can I ask though, why did you get the como now? It's loosing life just sitting there and it's not the best seat on the market now let alone well into the future when this baby outgrows the ss.

We're big Recaro fans, and I got an awesome deal combining multiple deals on it I couldn't pass up, like $140 total. So I figured even with the lost year of use (even though I may still use it earlier than that for other kids on occassion...esp if its open and calling my name :)) it's still a good deal.

I'm only using the SS til its too heavy to put in/out of the car, b/c I have back problems and won't be able to do that til its outgrown by weight. And I think the Como would provide better SIP than a SS would. I'm all about SIP since both the kiddos will be outboard.

mom2kk

Did someone say something about strapping in a teddy bear?:eek:

BearinSR.jpg

I love it! :D I've never done that, but DD LOVES to play with car seats when I have them out where she can get to them, putting the dolls & bears in and out!

mom2kk

I would!

Of course it would be to make sure they ok and what they are suppose to be, and a test run in the cars to make sure that fit well...um yeah that would be my excuse;)

Ooooh that does sound like a good excuse, too! I have a Suburban and need to see how all the seat setups will work now that I actually have all the said seats in possession. Its just a little cold out still to play in the car. :mad:

But I'm doing it after work tonight, I get to play play!

Kaede's_Mom

I love it! :D I've never done that, but DD LOVES to play with car seats when I have them out where she can get to them, putting the dolls & bears in and out!

My DD does it all the time and talks to them about sitting nice and wearing the buckle right lol. See my Avi, yeah that is one of her lovies in her frontier.

Joyofbirth

Cathy makes a good point too. Our como goes in and out of the box with no issue. It's very, very easy. The travel system, I would just put together and park it somewhere. What pattern did you get? I'm feeling the need for pictures.

Also, I'm wondering, am I the only one who keeps my dds' newborn sized baby doll just for this purpose? Oh and sling demonstrations.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC