Evenflo Symphony 65 can use latch in booster mode - how did we miss this before??

Kat_Momof3

Evenflo Symphony 65 can use latch in booster mode -UPDATE - ALL EVENFLO COMBO SEATS CAN DO THIS!!

Info for update is in post #11

I was looking at their booster install video to see if my confusion about the review of it as a booster on carseatblog could be resolved (it was)

and as soon as that happened, I almost closed that tab... but then I heard it... "attach the surelatch connectors" and I paused... I heard "push down to tighten" and I had to rewind and watch the whole thing over again to be sure.

here is the video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGHejyg7WY"]YouTube- Car Seats: Evenflo Symphony 65 Booster Mode[/ame]

Last edited:
ADS

Brycen'sMommy

I bought a Symphony 65 yesterday and I just read the booster portion of the manual and that wasn't mentioned anywhere. It does say to "Always secure the booster seat with the SureLatch connectors or vehicle seat belt when not occupied". But that is the only mention of using the SureLatch in booster mode in the manual.

firemomof3

Is it me or is the boy in that video slouching in the seat & too tall? From the video it looks like it makes a horrible booster.

emandbri

I remember when it first came out folks said it could be latched in booster mode. That is one of the reasons I want it for my mom's van. I know technically you are supposed to take the harness out but in theory I could install the seat, leave it be, and she could use it for a booster kid or a harness kid without uninstalling it.

Kat_Momof3

I don't think the boy is slouching, but I agree, while Evenflo may think the fit is okay, I'd say that boy is ready to move to a taller booster (as it looked like that is as tall as the headrest goes)

I do think we should bug Evenflo to make it more clear about being able to use latch in booster mode with this seat, as it is a good selling point.

I'm not even remotely trying to say this is the best booster, but I know from this site's blog that it gives a good booster fit on kids who fit it and with the reasonable height top slots and a pretty good rf limit, it's certainly the only good 3-in-1 seat on the market and actually fits newborns with the padding and low bottom slots evenflo gives their seats.

And I agree, it's a seat kids could share... you don't remove the harness on the symphony... they get tucked in behind the cover INTO the seat... which could be done when the seat is already installed.

Now, it didn't say to attach the top tether, but that wouldn't be too hard to do up for a harnessed child and then undo when it's time to use for another child/grandchild using it in booster mode.

csully4

I just happened to be looking at their website. If you click on the link to learn more about sure latch there is a question and answer section. They recommend using the latch in booster mode but also state in another answer to only use latch up to 48 lbs. with the harness.

capeKO71

FYI - totally didn't realize this conversation was happening - but I recently received a symphony, maestro and generations - and couldn't figure out the booster/latch question. here is the response from an engineer at evenflo:

"This is what we are saying about using latch to secure a booster seat
when occupied.

We do permit the use of tethers and lower anchors for belt positioning
boosters when occupied, as long as the position of the booster seat in
the vehicle and the fit of the auto belt over the child are not
affected.

Some vehicles have offset latch connectors that would force you to move
the seat more inboard disrupting the position of the seat (in booster
mode) and the fit of the auto belt to the child. We do not recommend the
use of latch when occupied, as a booster, in this type of scenario."

Kat_Momof3

WOW... thanks for that... so we can now let people install the Maestro and Generations with latch in booster mode (not that either make a GREAT booster, but hey, it's still preventing a projectile!)

tjham

FYI - totally didn't realize this conversation was happening - but I recently received a symphony, maestro and generations - and couldn't figure out the booster/latch question. here is the response from an engineer at evenflo:

"This is what we are saying about using latch to secure a booster seat
when occupied.

We do permit the use of tethers and lower anchors for belt positioning
boosters when occupied, as long as the position of the booster seat in
the vehicle and the fit of the auto belt over the child are not
affected.

Some vehicles have offset latch connectors that would force you to move
the seat more inboard disrupting the position of the seat (in booster
mode) and the fit of the auto belt to the child. We do not recommend the
use of latch when occupied, as a booster, in this type of scenario."

Wow, what a reasonable answer! Now if they would just put it in the manual!

Mommy0608

Bumping this up... I couldn't figure out in my Symphony 65 manual whether or not LATCH was allowed in booster mode, now I see according to this thread that it is. I thought I'd heard somewhere that Evenflo does allow LATCH in booster mode, this confirms it. :thumbsup:

The booster mode installation video shows the guy installing with only the lower anchors, no top tether. The email quoted in this thread says that the lower anchors and top tether can all be used. Weird. If you're using the lower anchors in booster mode, why wouldn't you use the top tether as well? Is there any reason not to?

Pixels

No reason not to, but no reason to use the tether either. Not unless you're sharing the seat for a booster kid and a harness kid as discussed upthread.

Mommy0608

No reason not to, but no reason to use the tether either. Not unless you're sharing the seat for a booster kid and a harness kid as discussed upthread.

Hmm. Simply speculating here, but wouldn't using the top tether help keep the top of the booster properly positioned rather than moving forward (or sideways) as the child moves forward in a crash? Or would the lower anchors do a pretty good job of that alone?

Definitely makes sense to use it in situations where the seat is shared and used in both modes. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC