At what point is it okay for a tiny older kid to ride in a booster?

christineka

My first 3 kids were all in boosters or a booster as a spare by 5 years.

Obviously, a child needs maturity to sit in a booster. Lets say this particular kid is mature enough. Do you have a weight minimum? Or perhaps, tall enough? Or wide enough to fill out the seat? Or would you just say at a certain age the child can ride in the booster?

My dd weighs 31 pounds and is 39 inches tall. She's 5 yo. I'm not anxious about putting her in a booster or anything, heck, I've got her riding rfing and her older brother harnessed. I'm just thinking about the occasion when she might go in someone else's vehicle. It would be a lot easier to put in a booster rather than a radian. At the rate she's growing she may be 7 before breaking 40 pounds. At what point would you allow said child to ride in a booster as a secondary, very infrequent seat?

kvivo.jpg

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
IMO, it's kind of a sliding scale. 5y and 31#? Probably not. 7y and 31#? Probably. (Assuming the booster fit and was being used correctly and yada yada yada.) After age 7, my minimum would be the manufacturer's minimum.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper was 4.5 and 30 pounds when she started riding in a booster on occasion. But that was younger than I would have liked. I had knee surgery and couldn't drive or install seats, and I didn't trust those around me to use a harness or install it for me properly. So into a booster she went for our rides.

At five years and 31 pounds, for the occasional ride, I'd be ok with it. I wish the Parkway SG had a 30 pound limit because the SG feature would really be nice with older and lighter kids.

Piper didn't go into a booster full time until after her seventh birthday and after she was solidly 40 pounds.

Wendy

armywife12

I would worry about submarining with a child that tiny. My 28 month old is about the same size and its hard to imagine a child that size fitting well in s booster. If the child wad closer yo 40lbs I might consider it for a 5 yr old.

Maedze

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, but I'd be comfortable with even a very petite six year old in a booster, as long as s/he met the manufacturers minimums for use.

I rather wish Britax would bump the Parkway SG down to 30 pounds and put an AGE minimum on it of 4 years. That SlideGuard is the perfect solution to prevent submarining in smaller booster riders who are still developmentally ready for a booster....like a 30 pound 6 year old!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I have to agree with what I've seen adventuredad stating. The age is WAY more important than size. I don't know of ANY studies actually (although I'd welcome them if anyone knows of any) that say a 5 year old of "x" weight is any less safe than a 5 year old of "y" weight.
The bones and muscles are still going to be as hardened and strong as a 5 year olds, the maturity is still going to that of a 5 year old...I honestly don't see why weight plays into it at ALL. I think that's something that some techs say lot on this board, but I know of no reason, that is evidence-based, for saying a 31 lb mature 5 year old is any less safe than a 41, or 51 lb 5 year old in a properly used booster. (If such evidence exists, please send it to me, so I may reformulate my knowledge base and opinion.)

I'd be the exact same amount of fine with putting her in a booster for carpooling as i would any other 5 year old with the same amount of maturity.

Of course, we all know how insanely jealous I am of your miniature kids, lol. Have you decided to sell me one yet? *wink*

Maedze

What about the submarining study? It showed that kids under 40 pounds were more likely to submarine in a booster, but I think it was examining 3-4 year olds. Hopefully someone has a link.

armywife12

What about the submarining study? It showed that kids under 40 pounds were more likely to submarine in a booster, but I think it was examining 3-4 year olds. Hopefully someone has a link.

Her child id the size of a 3-4 yr old so wouldn't it still be similar or does the maturity and age trump height and weight? My not even 2.5 yr old son is the same size as this 5 yr old so i guess its hard for me to see a child that size being ok in a booster.

Qarin

Her child id the size of a 3-4 yr old so wouldn't it still be similar or does the maturity and age trump height and weight? My not even 2.5 yr old son is the same size as this 5 yr old so i guess its hard for me to see a child that size being ok in a booster.

But 2.5 year olds are built differently than 5 year olds. Their heads are more of their height (and weight), their hips are less developed, their over all body shape is generally (though not necessarily) quite different.

Now I want to look at the under-40lbs-more-likely-to-submarine study more closely, because my hypothesis is that those in the study who were under 40lbs are more likely to be under 4 years old; I further hypothesize that those who are under 40lbs and are 5 year olds, sitting in a correctly fit booster, are at no additional risk of submarining. Britax obviously feels otherwise (hence the SG), so I may well be wrong... but I don't think I am.

Maedze

No, it's different. A six year old has a VERY different pelvic/hip structure than a three year old, no matter the weight. The pelvis is fused and shaped differently, and therefore more able to keep the lapbelt in the correct position.

christineka

When you all figure this out, please let me know! I am just as not sure about it as I was before. Thankfully, dd hasn't needed to go in anyone else's vehicle for a long while, but I'd like to know in case it comes up. I think she'd fit nicely in the bodyguard too and that has belt lockoffs and a skinny adjusting seat to fit her better.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
And that's why I'd err on the side of caution when possible, and if the child is tiny, wait until s/he's a little older.

Kat_Momof3

I don't think she's tall enough to be in the Vivo... I'd get a turbo for when she needs to use one...

I'd want her to be heavy enough that she wouldn't fall below the weight minimum... so at least 35lbs.

armywife12

No, it's different. A six year old has a VERY different pelvic/hip structure than a three year old, no matter the weight. The pelvis is fused and shaped differently, and therefore more able to keep the lapbelt in the correct position.

Thank you. That makes sense. I know there is a bone structure difference I just didn't see how that would make a difference with a 5 yr old the size of a 2 or 3 yr old.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
6-7 is my age too. At 7 even if they're not 35 lbs. I'd be ok with it. At 6 I'd be okay with not yet 40 but 35 would be nice. At 5, I'd say 40 lbs. or darned close to it.

armywife12

But 2.5 year olds are built differently than 5 year olds. Their heads are more of their height (and weight), their hips are less developed, their over all body shape is generally (though not necessarily) quite different.
Now I want to look at the under-40lbs-more-likely-to-submarine study more closely, because my hypothesis is that those in the study who were under 40lbs are more likely to be under 4 years old; I further hypothesize that those who are under 40lbs and are 5 year olds, sitting in a correctly fit booster, are at no additional risk of submarining. Britax obviously feels otherwise (hence the SG), so I may well be wrong... but I don't think I am.

Yes I understand all of this. That is why I asked if AGE and maturity trumped the size of the child. Obviously there is a difference in their bone development, same as there is for a one yr old and 4 yr old in the rear facing "debate". I just didn't understand how that would make much of a difference when the child is so small. Maezde (sp?) explained it well though.

The risk of submarining comes up quite frequently when discussing boosters with ligher children over in the car seat safety group on cafemom.com. The techs there seem to think it is an issue and this is where I have learned a majority of my car seat knowledge. It has been engraved in my brain that children under 40lbs, despite age, are at a higher risk for submarining in a crash. I didnt' consider how the more developed hips would keep them from slipping under though. I'd still feel more comfortable with a child being close to 40lbs though. I won't have that issue as my 28 month old is already 35-36lbs. He'll probably be well over 40lbs by the time he is 5 yrs old

Maedze

Sheer bulk and pelvic age both contribute to keeping a person from submarining.

The pelvis usually is totally fused by six years.

The way I see it, if your bulk is insubstantial i.e. under 40 pounds, you'd better make sure the pelvic structure is fully formed before forgoing the crotch strap.

This is of course, my opinion, not a test-proven rule or anything, but in my head I think:

1. Four years and forty pounds or 2. Six years and 30+

armywife12

Sheer bulk and pelvic age both contribute to keeping a person from submarining.

The pelvis usually is totally fused by six years.

The way I see it, if your bulk is insubstantial i.e. under 40 pounds, you'd better make sure the pelvic structure is fully formed before forgoing the crotch strap.

This is of course, my opinion, not a test-proven rule or anything, but in my head I think:

1. Four years and forty pounds or 2. Six years and 30+

Isn't the OP's child only 5 yrs old? Do you consider it much of a difference between a 5 and 6 yr old? I don't think the OP has said whether the child is closer to 5 or closer to 6 though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC