Uh, my DS chose Petal...

zeo2ski

He's 3.5. He had told me he didn't want a new carseat (probably to get out of having to be weighed) so I explained that it would be the same as his own carseat (XT) but a different color. So later I pulled up a picture of a Ventura XTSL and told him that was the new seat. Without knowing other color choices existed, he flat out said "I don't want that seat." So I clicked the next color, Flora and he said "yeah, that one. That's the seat I want, the flower one." Okay fine. DH says it's his seat, his choice and I agree, so I went ahead and showed him ALL the colors, explaining the mesh feel and which ones were "soft like his." And he decided pink was the way to go. I showed him everything again today and he's still saying pink.

So I guess I'm gonna be brave and order it. And hey that way if this last baby is another boy, I can get my pink fill`:D

ADS

aja

:love: my oldest ds likes the flora. he said it's a jungle seat. we have an xt in rio i think (red mesh).

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I considered it, but since I am the type to actually keep and use a seat for the duration, I wouldn't do it.
An infant seat? sure, no prob. Even a smaller convertible seat, probably.
But not a radian. Why, you ask? Because while he might think the pink seat is awesome at 3, he'll stilll be sitting in it at 5-6. And at that point, I'll bet he will have been around enough kids, etc, to get teased about it (school drop off!) and he will be mortified to have a pink seat.
I might not agree with it, but that's the way our society is.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I say get him what he wants. If it ever becomes an issue for your DS, you can always order a new cover. Petal is also DD's favourite. I dislike the petal, I think it's way gaudy but would have still ordered for DD (or DS if I had one!) if that's what they chose. I'd just cringe every time I put them in the seat. :p We ended up with a Sonata MR which wasn't my first colour choice either. :rolleyes:

abigaylebelle

Good for you for looking past the ridiculous society standards and letting the boy ride in a pink seat. Why does pink have to be girls only anyway?

amyd

I'd get it (says the woman whose son is currently riding in a Flora XT). So if he doesn't like it in a year or 2, buy a new cover...easy peasy:) That's my plan. I like to have extra covers for my seats anyway, so I'm going to get a more neutral extra.

thepote

Yay for boys that like pink :love: My DS3 (age 3.5) always points out the pink ones. He wanted the RNXT in the pink flowers, but his brother needs to be able to use it... and DS2 flat out refuses to sit in a pink seat (he's 6, but has always disliked pink).

I don't see a problem :love:

Calideedle

I'd get it. If you are a bit nervous about if he'll like it down the road you can order another cover later on or see if he likes the Flora which is very gender neutral IRL, I think.

chasingboys

My DS LOVES his future baby sisters Flora XTsl, he is even with the top slots, but has held steady so he's been riding in it.

zeo2ski

Yeah I'm not worried about the down the road aspect--he still has a nassau XT so that cover should fit it anyway, provided little brother doesn't object to the petal at that time. And there's always the possibility that the new baby would like pink too. Plus, there's no guarantee DS1 will dislike it in the future! I'm not so worried about school drop off since we plan to homeschool.;)

I'm off to order.

solmama

Hooray for you! Says the mom whose little ds is currently wearing a pink, leopard pattern top, and playing dollies with his sister. He loves the pink seats, too.

Shaunam

We got a pink seat. DS will be 5 next week and he still loves it. If he ever decides he needs a non-pink seat, we'll just swap covers or buy a new cover. I love that my DS doesn't yet care about gender roles (and colors apparently). :love:

zeo2ski

I thought of your DS and his pink seat. I agree, I'm glad he has no concept of "gender colors." After the carseat pick, he told us his favorite color is pink. I knew he liked it, he likes all the colors. One day he told me he only wanted to wear a pink shirt, but I figured he was just trying to get out of getting dressed!

Anyway, it should be here on Saturday! I really hope it arrives Friday though because we'll be skiing all weekend and we don't usually get home til like 6p.m.

crunchierthanthou

ds chose the pink Amp at first. While I didn't mind for him, I convinced him to go with either red or blue. It will be a back-up and for friends until he's ready for a backless and I can see his little friends balking at riding in a pink booster. Plus, he might be convinced pink is for girls by the time he rides in it regularly (since it will be after he starts school :rolleyes:).

triscuitsmom

Good choice! I love both Flora and Petal. My DS has a Malibu Radian XT which he picked himself in the fall before the 2010 models came to Canada. When asked now which one he'd pick if he needed a new seat he says the pink and brown one... so it'll likely be Petal for us too if he hits 40lbs clothed before August or outgrows the height on his My Ride 65 because I'm committed to rearfacing to four :thumbsup:

zeo2ski

Good choice! I love both Flora and Petal. My DS has a Malibu Radian XT which he picked himself in the fall before the 2010 models came to Canada. When asked now which one he'd pick if he needed a new seat he says the pink and brown one... so it'll likely be Petal for us too if he hits 40lbs clothed before August or outgrows the height on his My Ride 65 because I'm committed to rearfacing to four :thumbsup:

Hehe, my guy will be 4 in August as well! I'm totally shocked that he needs the SL now--just a couple months ago he was 34-35lbs, and now he's 37-39. That 39 pushed me to buy it now, and then this morning I carried him out so he could keep his boots dry and leave them on since we were late and I kind of panicked for a moment realizing I've never weighed him with boots on. I still cannot believe he's gained that much so quickly.

If he'd made it to 4 in the XT I may not have bought an SL, but DS2 will need the height of the RN in about 1-2 more torso inchs and DS1 would then need a new seat whether it's FF or RF, so it may as well be a RF! Now if I could just figure out what will work for the baby...oiy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC