May buy Mazda5 tomorrow - 2 questions!

G

grantsmama

1) Would you buy a 2009-2010 over a 2008, even if more expensive, because of the slight fix to the seatbelt situation in the 3rd row? I've really been admiring a pretty low mileage 2008 (price-wise..) but I guess it would have that seatbelt problem. In what age kid does this become an issue (the seatbelt in the 3rd row) - Did I read it's not a problem until they're out of boosters? When does that happen? (Right now my 2 yr old is RF in a BLVD)

2) It seems that most of the board here agrees that using the 3rd row of Mazda5 for kids must be safe (?) because there aren't any reports to the contrary? I've seen some posts here & elsewhere saying - "not so sure about kids in the 3rd row" "it's so close to the back of the car" etc etc. I guess I'm wondering what seems to be the consensus on that, that it is safe.. or isn't.

I don't know. Mostly I'm freaking out because I need to buy a car and I want to make sure I buy the right one. Our other car is a Honda Accord, we'll probably drive this new car for 10 years, we'll probably have at least one more child in the next few years, and the reason I was looking at the Mazda5 is because of carpool-ability, etc.

So. That's about it, from my stressed out 1 AM brain.. any thoughts welcomed ;) this is my first post..

ADS

jewlsvern

I would prefer the newer models over the earlier one because of the seat belt issue. We have had both years model (08 & 09; DH works for Mazda) and there is definitely a difference in the seat belt. I had my niece (9yr) back there in a booster and it fit her so much better in the 09 model.

I also had DS in the 3rd row from day 2. It was the only way to fit people where we needed and still be able to get to the kids so since DS was in an infant bucket we just snapped his seat in and out of the back. I had no reservations about putting my new baby in the 3rd row.

We have had 3 different models each a different year (07, 08, 09) so if you have any more questions just let me know.

2sweetgirls

I test drove an 09 Mazda today and tried to put the Roundabout in the 3rd row passenger side. I noticed there are no latche anchors in the 3rd row inner seat but I did notice one anchor behind the two seats for a top tether. The salesperson said it's used in combination with the seatbelt. Is this right?

Also when I installed the roundabout there was a big gap between the captain seat and the carseat (see pic). I don't think I have this gap in my Camry however. Did I install it improperly?

4402338704_4a44038342.jpg

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yes - vehicle manufacturers are only required to provide 2 full sets of LATCH and 3 top tethers. The Mazda 5 is nice in that it has top tether anchors for all four seating positions. It has two full sets of LATCH in the 2nd row, and for the 3rd row you have to install with the seat belt, but still use the top tether. :thumbsup:

Yep, gaps like that aren't uncommon. Your Camry probably has a natural recline that's more than the upright Mazda 5, which is why there's a difference.

ETA: Sorry, posted before I was done answering your original question...

1) Would you buy a 2009-2010 over a 2008, even if more expensive, because of the slight fix to the seatbelt situation in the 3rd row? I've really been admiring a pretty low mileage 2008 (price-wise..) but I guess it would have that seatbelt problem. In what age kid does this become an issue (the seatbelt in the 3rd row) - Did I read it's not a problem until they're out of boosters? When does that happen? (Right now my 2 yr old is RF in a BLVD)

Yes, I would. Those 3rd-row seat belts have been the bane of my existence in a car I otherwise LOVE. They don't work well with many boosters, either, so it's an issue before your kids outgrow boosters. My 15 yo is just now to the point where he can *almost* fill the gap in the 3rd row seat belt, and it's still so hard for him to remember to stay positioned that I still won't let him ride there. I also feel that it's part of the reason that some carseat installs are so difficult in those seats.

2) It seems that most of the board here agrees that using the 3rd row of Mazda5 for kids must be safe (?) because there aren't any reports to the contrary? I've seen some posts here & elsewhere saying - "not so sure about kids in the 3rd row" "it's so close to the back of the car" etc etc. I guess I'm wondering what seems to be the consensus on that, that it is safe.. or isn't.

The proximity to the rear hatch is only a risk in a high-speed rear-impact. High-speed rear-impact crashes are very rare - something like less than 2% of all crashes? Compare that to how close the kids in the 2nd row are to the side doors - they're at least as close as the 3rd-row kids are to the back hatch, right? And side-impact crashes are much more common than high-speed rear-impact crashes - but all these people worried about the 3rd row being too close to the rear hatch don't seem to consider that, yk?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC