Radian questions (sorry!) headwings, using the boot, upright install, etc.

Marvin711

I keep seeing all these threads with Radian questions and thinking, surely I can find the answers I need but I have looked for several hours now and I can't.... some simple, some more in depth... I read the manual quickly but they are in DH's car and he is now gone... so, I apologize if I missed the answer in there!

1. Headwings - Should it be super hard to move them? I mean the styrofoam squeaks... and I'm having a hard time knowing if they are locked into to positon?

2. Red carry strap - where does this go when not in use? Is it ok to tuck it under the cover?

3. RFing boot - not sure how this should sit... should the "legs" on it kind of hook into the "bite" of the seat? I've been looking at pictures but it seems to vary widely from car to car - FWIW I am trying to get a very upright install for a 20 month old.

4. Touching the back of front seat, I don't considered it braced, but I moved the seat back as far as it would go once I got a really good install. Right now it is touching the back of the headrest (2010 Accord)

5. What about the recline, or lowering/raising the seat FFing? I installed one FFing for DS in less than 5 minutes. Could it be that easy? In the manual I saw how to adjust recline - is this more for comfort? Or am I missing something?

6. Also, after I finally got the wings moved down on the RFing one, I feel like the cover is kind of bunched up around the shoulder area and it seems loose by the side of the wings. Should I raise them up some?

7. Maybe I should just call the whole thing off and go back to my comfort zone with our Regent and Marathon!! LOL! I feel like I am cheating after they've been so good to me for the past 5 years! :eek:

ADS

Laurette

My answers are in purple!

I keep seeing all these threads with Radian questions and thinking, surely I can find the answers I need but I have looked for several hours now and I can't.... some simple, some more in depth... I read the manual quickly but they are in DH's car and he is now gone... so, I apologize if I missed the answer in there!

1. Headwings - Should it be super hard to move them? I mean the styrofoam squeaks... and I'm having a hard time knowing if they are locked into to positon?IT is somewhat difficult to move them but I think it is fine for the styrofoam to squeak, mine does... They don't really lock into place though.

2. Red carry strap - where does this go when not in use? Is it ok to tuck it under the cover? It's fine to just tuck it inside the cover.

3. RFing boot - not sure how this should sit... should the "legs" on it kind of hook into the "bite" of the seat? I've been looking at pictures but it seems to vary widely from car to car - FWIW I am trying to get a very upright install for a 20 month old.Yeah, the legs of the RFing boot dive into the bite of the seat. I think that's fine and it will vary by vehicle.

4. Touching the back of front seat, I don't considered it braced, but I moved the seat back as far as it would go once I got a really good install. Right now it is touching the back of the headrest (2010 Accord)You will need to consult your vehicle user manual to find that answer.

5. What about the recline, or lowering/raising the seat FFing? I installed one FFing for DS in less than 5 minutes. Could it be that easy? In the manual I saw how to adjust recline - is this more for comfort? Or am I missing something?Forward facing install is usually much eaiser with any convertable seat. FFing recline is just for the comfort of the child. Some need it to combat head slump others don't. It also depends on the recline of your vehicle's seat. If it is very upright I would probably recline the child restraint. Our car have a very reclined vehicle seats so I don't recline the Radian. It can also make the harness fit differently.

6. Also, after I finally got the wings moved down on the RFing one, I feel like the cover is kind of bunched up around the shoulder area and it seems loose by the side of the wings. Should I raise them up some? Did you unvelcro the cover above and below the headwings before you moved them down? If not, do that now and the adjust the fabric and re-velcro them. It should straighten out.

7. Maybe I should just call the whole thing off and go back to my comfort zone with our Regent and Marathon!! LOL! I feel like I am cheating after they've been so good to me for the past 5 years! :eek:There's nothing wrong with trying something new. Especially if you have a need that isn't being covered with your current seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

1. Headwings - Should it be super hard to move them? I mean the styrofoam squeaks... and I'm having a hard time knowing if they are locked into to positon?

Can't help you here, sorry.

2. Red carry strap - where does this go when not in use? Is it ok to tuck it under the cover?

The strap that holds the seat closed? There's a slot about an inch south of where it comes out that's for it to be stored in when the seat is open and the strap is not used.

3. RFing boot - not sure how this should sit... should the "legs" on it kind of hook into the "bite" of the seat? I've been looking at pictures but it seems to vary widely from car to car - FWIW I am trying to get a very upright install for a 20 month old.

It varies from car to car. :) For a more upright install you'll probably want to pull it away from the seat bight slightly (an inch or two), then push down hard where the feet go to force it upright.

4. Touching the back of front seat, I don't considered it braced, but I moved the seat back as far as it would go once I got a really good install. Right now it is touching the back of the headrest (2010 Accord)

Driver's side or passenger? It can gently gently touch the passenger, but any more and it'll mess with the advanced airbags (if you can slide your hand between the two seats it's probably ok). Driver's side it's fine to touch because there aren't the same sensors. It can't brace (shoved forcefully together), but it can touch.

5. What about the recline, or lowering/raising the seat FFing? I installed one FFing for DS in less than 5 minutes. Could it be that easy? In the manual I saw how to adjust recline - is this more for comfort? Or am I missing something?

It's for comfort, though sometimes we use it as a trick if a seat is having a tough time. You hear a lot about the Radian being a bear, but that's because the people for which it went in easily rarely complain. :) Sounds like a good install for you in your car.

6. Also, after I finally got the wings moved down on the RFing one, I feel like the cover is kind of bunched up around the shoulder area and it seems loose by the side of the wings. Should I raise them up some?

Again, I don't know on the XT. I do know the wings need to stay high until you're on the third slot, but you said you read the manual, so I'm guessing you're on the third slot already.

7. Maybe I should just call the whole thing off and go back to my comfort zone with our Regent and Marathon!! LOL! I feel like I am cheating after they've been so good to me for the past 5 years! :eek:

hehe Britaxes are very easy to install. It does rather spoil people. :)

Wendy

Laurette

Wendy, on the XTSL models there is only one slot for the red carry strap.There is not a in and out slot, just an out slot. I'm not sure if that make sense...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC