Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Kids movies show unsafe habits

Hopefully this link works. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=7212841

A new study found that people in children's movies don't use seatbelts, bike helmets, or crosswalks. Nothing groundbreaking, but interesting that they did a study on it. Maybe it will open the eyes of some Hollywood directors. (We can dream.)

I wanted to SMACK the movie guy they talked to. "Bike helmets aren't cool." Yeah, bite me.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Kids movies show unsafe habits

I volunteer to work as safety consultant on a movie!

I'll show up every day and point out when something's unsafe. I want access to craft services and a flat $1000/month fee. I'll prorate that if I work less than a full month.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Can I join you?

Eh, on second thought, I don't want to drive to Hollywood. I'll do it if they shoot down here though.

I was stunned that the new Jackie Chan movie has none of the kids harnessed (the youngest should be in a harnessed seat preferably)... and only ONE of the kids (the youngest) in ANY kind of booster...

they have the youngest in a backless booster, the middle child sitting in the front seat (and he's so small compared to Jackie that I know he needs at least a highback booster), and only the oldest looks like she actually passes the 5-step test, but would fit BETTER with a backless booster at least.

It horrifies me that these are the examples being set.... not that there hasn't been much worse.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Not a kid's movie but a reality show----I was channel surfing recently and came across a show on TLC called Imploders. It's about a husband/wife team that travel the country running a demolition business. There was one rather long scene in the show of the family driving in their pick up truck. They had their 4 year old daughter sharing the front passenger seat with the mom-no car seat, booster, seatbelt or anything. I thought it was crazy that they would show that level of parental irresponsibility on tv.

CPS Fanatic

Sort of the opposite of the complaints here but I thought I would share a good example. Imagine That has the girl in a booster, in the back seat, with Dad buckling her. It looked like an evenflo generations seat so hard to tell if the lapbelt fit would have been good but they didn't show that so I guess it doesn't matter much. The girl looked old enough and big enough for a booster and they had her in one!!!! I was suprised because mostly I see bad use, misuse, or no use in movies.

Preschool show Caillou -

I can't figure if it bothers me or not that Caillou uses a shield booster and his sister has an OHS convertible.
    Guess in reality it is better than having a 4 and 2 year old in nothing, even in a cartoon. They need to do something about the bald head, however.

Oh, and mad props to Sid the Science Kid -

Sid is approximately 5 years old, guessing by the story line, but this kid is shown twice in each show riding in the car. In both Mom's and Grandma's car he is properly seated in a highback booster in the center of the vehicle (shoulder belted of course.) Pretty good for another cartoon.

It is nice to finally see a study to reflect on this.
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

Bad example- The Simpson's. Maggie is riding forward facing and she's looks like she's under 1 and less than 20lbs.

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Sid's outgrown his grandmas booster by about a half head length. And Cailou's little sister does not have the straps on her OHS seat. I saw an Author episode once where the baby was sitting in something that most closely resembles a bathtub seat.

That said, at least they are making an attempt to show kids in seats. I'm pretty sure on Olivia during an episode about camping they put one of the kids in the trunk .
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Baby View Post
    Preschool show Caillou -

I can't figure if it bothers me or not that Caillou uses a shield booster and his sister has an OHS convertible.
    Guess in reality it is better than having a 4 and 2 year old in nothing, even in a cartoon. They need to do something about the bald head, however.
    YES YES YES. The shield booster and lack of hair BUG me so much! Of course it's DS's favorite show ever .

Quote Originally Posted by birdflippin' View Post
    Bad example- The Simpson's. Maggie is riding forward facing and she's looks like she's under 1 and less than 20lbs.
    To the Simpsons defense, it did originally air in like 1989 so not bad for back then...

I'd just like to add that NO BODY on reality shows wears the seat belts. Maybe sometimes the driver will but never ever do the people in the back seat have one on. People, it's against the law in most states!
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Baby View Post

Oh, and mad props to Sid the Science Kid -

Sid is approximately 5 years old, guessing by the story line, but this kid is shown twice in each show riding in the car. In both Mom's and Grandma's car he is properly seated in a highback booster in the center of the vehicle (shoulder belted of course.) Pretty good for another cartoon.

It is nice to finally see a study to reflect on this.
    We've discussed Sid before. As someone else says, he's outgrown the booster because there's nothing behind his head in Grandma's car. Grandma has no head support either. And he has NO LAP BELT in one sequence (I forget if it's mom's car or what...) Also when his friend came home with him she did not bring her booster (although the belt seemed to fit ok, not really that realistic.)

There was an epic fail where Lou and Lou (safety patrol) went in the car and their big sister (I think it was the sister) was in the middle back between them in a booster with a lap belt only. On a mini-show dedicated to promoting safety! Yeah.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I thought sid and friends were four. I think it's a preschool, not a kindy.

Also, the wiggling and dancing in the booster bugs me. I'm pretty sure he gets out of proper positioning when he does that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_the_Science_Kid

go down to "characters" and it says Sid and his friends are 5yrs old.

I do have issues with how they show the kids using the boosters in "grandma's car" (they look like turbos with the backs on, but missing the headrest), but OVERALL... they're doing a better job than other shows do.

and since parents writing in about the whole Mom dropping Sid off at school with no adult in site made it change so they show the teacher at the door waving to Mom when she drops him off... I have a feeling if enough of us really pester them, they'd give him a headrest in future episodes.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

CPS Advocate

Sid and his friends are definitely at least five. Also, Sid is built like an orange linebacker.

CPS Technician

Anyone see Modern Family from last night? They pulled Lilly out of the Prius and the seat was FF. It was a super funny episode though...

Yep, so many misuses, one that is good about car seat use is Baby blues comic strip.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by brightredmtn View Post
    Anyone see Modern Family from last night? They pulled Lilly out of the Prius and the seat was FF. It was a super funny episode though...
    Yeah I saw that one. FF in a bucket??? DH didn't believe me so I had him run it back half a dozen times until he "saw" it too. Just watching the following week PVR'd epi and same thing... Lily is FF and I'm not even sure she was belted in. So frustrating!

Anyone know what car seat she's actually using?

I HATE this commercial. Sure- she seems to be in right- but she is also a TINY little peanut that should be RFing in such a nice TF! Especially considering the source of the commercial.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HnCjaOTAxI"]YouTube- State Farm® - "Backseat Driver" Commercial[/ame]

Carseat Crazy

I point stuff like this out all the time as we're watching movies (we don't have cable). One that really got me was in Stuart Little, the little girl is in a forward facing infant seat and part of her head is above the shell of the seat.

I was freaking out as we were watching it and of course everyone was telling me it wasn't real it didn't matter.
    Alison
    Tobias... 7y2m; 51lbs; harnessed and Linus... 4y9m; 35lbs; harnessed and Malachi 3y1m; 34lbs; rearfacing
    TTC another rearfacer

CPS Technician

Did I mention this before?

Season 5 of LOST Aaron who is three was in Kate's Volvo in nothing, nada! I wrote a letter to my friend who works in production at ABC but I don't think she works on LOST.

Even in the 1980s my sister was in something when she was three.