Combination/Youth Carseats - Requesting measurements/information for your carseats

MomToEliEm

For a while now, I have wanted to see a webpage or spreadsheet listing all the carseats available along with certain information (measurements, manufacturer stated limits, features, etc.) all listed together so it is easier to compare carseats. Once most of the data is collected, I will consolidate the data into one report for everyone to use. I will try to keep the main summary report updated whenever new data is submitted.

In this post, I am requesting data for Combination and Youth Carseats (the harnessed carseats that install forward facing only; combination seats then convert to a booster seat while youth seats are only harnessed seats). For this data gathering effort, if you have access to a particular seat, try to gather some of the data and submit it using the submission form linked below. When submitting your data, you don't have to collect all the data I am asking for. If some data is missing, hopefully someone else will submit that data later on. If you disagree with a particular measurement or information someone else has already submitted, submit your own entry for that seat providing your information. In the main summary report, I will combine all the submitted data so everything for one seat appears together. It may take several weeks/months to gather this data, but hopefully when it is all together, it will be a useful document to reference.

Use this form to submit data for combination/youth carseats:
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/submitforms

Here is the website showing the master summary spreadsheets
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

To help make it easier to find this website, there is a post in the articles forum discussing the spreadsheet with links:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=114993

If you make a mistake on some data you submitted, send me a message (PM to MomToEliEm) and indicate the information you need changed or deleted, and I will try to get it corrected on the spreadsheet.

If you have other seat types, there are posts for gathering data for each of the other seat types:
Infant Carseats
Convertible Carseats
Combination/Youth Carseats
Dedicated Booster Seats

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Here is a list of some of the infomation I am requestion regarding the combination and youth carseats. I know it is a lot of information so don't worry if you can't collect it fall (others will hopefully submit it at a later time).

---------------------

Combination/Youth Car Seat Information

Use this form to submit information (measurements, limits, etc.) on combination car seats (these are car seats that install forward facing only and have a built in harness and when the child is large enough, the seats can be converted over to a booster seat) and youth car seats (these are forward facing only harnessed car seats that do not convert to a booster seat). If a particular field is not applicable to a particular car seat, enter "N/A" or leave field blank. If you only have answers to some of the questions, leave the other fields blank and someone else will hopefully answer those questions at a later time.

Car seat Manufacturer - What is the manufacturer name of this car seat?

Car Seat Model Name - What is the model name of this car seat? If variations exist for a particular model, please provide details as to cover or style of the seat so we know which seat you are measuring.

Lowest Harness Height - Measure from the bottom seating area up to the lowest harness slot/position (compress cover and padding during measurement) to determine the lowest harness height. Make sure to look at the actual slot in the seat and not just the cover as the cover may shift around not giving a true indication of the harness slot location. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the harness will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Highest Harness Height - Measure from the bottom seating area up to the highest harness slot/position (compress cover and padding during measurement) to determine the highest harness height. Make sure to look at the actual slot in the seat and not just the cover as the cover may shift around not giving a true indication of the harness slot location. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the harness will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Shortest Crotch Buckle Position - Measure from the back of the seating area to the first crotch buckle position. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the buckle will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Longest Crotch Buckle Position - Measure from the back of the seating area to the furthest away crotch buckle position. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the buckle will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Crotch Buckle Length - Measure the actual length of the crotch buckle strap as it extends from the shell up to the buckle (include the actual buckle in the measurement length).

Internal Seating Depth - Measure the inside measurements from the back of the carseat where the child's back rests to the front of the seat where the child's legs would bend.

Internal Seating Height - Measure from the bottom of the seat (compress cover and padding during measurement) to the top of the shell. If the shell height varies, get a measurement at a position where the child's head would be typically be positioned.

Internal Bottom Seat Width - Measure the internal width of the seat at the bottom seating area of the seat.

Internal Shoulder Seat Width - Measure the internal width of the seat at the top portion of the seat at a position where an older child's shoulders would typically be positioned.
External Seat Width - Measure the external width of the seat at the widest position.

Seat Weight - Measure the weight of the car seat.

Harness Weight Range - What is the manufacturer's stated weight range for using the harness on this car seat?

Booster Weight Range - What is the manufacturer's stated weight range for using this car seat as a booster?

Harness Height Range - What is the manufacturer's stated height range for using the harness on this car seat?

Booster Height Range - What is the manufacturer's stated height range for using this car seat as a booster?

Harness Age Range - What is the manufacturer's stated age range for this car seat as a harnessed seat?

Booster Age Range - What is the manufacturer's stated age range for using this car seat as a booster?

Lock-offs Provided - Does the seat have any built in Lock-off clips on the car seat?
Option 1: Unsure
Option 2: Does not have Lock-offs
Option 3: Has Lock-offs

Seat Modes - Indicate what modes this seat converts to.
Option 1: Harness/High Back Booster
Option 2: Harness/High Back/No Back Booster
Option 3: Harness/No Back Booster
Option 4: Harness Only

Lowest Booster Belt Guide Height - With the car seat in booster mode in the lowest position, measure from the seat bottom (compress cover and padding during measurement) to the belt guide location at the top of the booster seat. If there is a wide gap for the belt guide, you can enter a range for the measurement depending on if the seat belt hits the top of the belt guide or the bottom of the belt guide. If the seat belt is always forced to the top of the belt guide, only provide the top measurement. If the seat belt is always forced to the bottom of the belt guide, only provide the bottom measurement.

Highest Booster Belt Guide Height -
With the car seat in booster mode in the highest position, measure from the seat bottom (compress cover and padding during measurement) to the seat belt guide location at the top of the booster seat. If there is a wide gap for the belt guide, you can enter a range for the measurement depending on if the seat belt hits the top of the belt guide or the bottom of the belt guide. If the seat belt is always forced to the top of the belt guide, only provide the top measurement. If the seat belt is always forced to the bottom of the belt guide, only provide the bottom measurement.

Booster LATCH Capable - While seat is being used as a booster seat, can LATCH straps secure the booster seat to the vehicle?
Option 1: N/A
Option 2: Cannot use LATCH
Option 3: Can Use LATCH
Option 4: Mfg Unclear on LATCH
Option 5: Unsure

Expiration Limits - When does this car seat expire (i.e. - 6 years from manufacturer date, December of 6th year from manufacturer date, etc.)?

Other Information - Provide any other unique features, limitations, installation tricks regarding this car seat.

User Name - What is your car-seat.org user name?

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
RSTV size Small (old style) submitted. :)

I think Courtfrog has a Large... Maybe she can measure it for us? And someone has a new-style, I'd love to see that comparison. :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Got my Nautilus in... weight to come sometime next week.

I also have a Cosco harnessed HBB, which I forgot about, and can get measured next week sometime too. :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Do you have the Safeguard seats, that you can add, or are you asking for the measurements?

If you have them, that would be awesome, as I know they're not as popular and so it may be harder to find someone willing to measure them. :)

nmb

Do you have the Safeguard seats, that you can add, or are you asking for the measurements?

If you have them, that would be awesome, as I know they're not as popular and so it may be harder to find someone willing to measure them. :)

No I don't have them I wanted to know the regular Safeguard earlier. Looks like it's maybe not sold anymore/now? Just the Safeguard Go.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have SGCSs and a GO but they are in storage. When I get them out (when our garage is clean enough to empty our storage space) I'll add them, if no one else has done it yet. :)

I measured a Chase at BRU today. I went rather wild with the measuring tape. People asked what I was doing. Then they asked for car seat advice. It was rather awesome. :D I didn't get all the measurements but got a lot of them. I'll get more next time I go. :)

MomToEliEm

I have SGCSs and a GO but they are in storage. When I get them out (when our garage is clean enough to empty our storage space) I'll add them, if no one else has done it yet. :)

I measured a Chase at BRU today. I went rather wild with the measuring tape. People asked what I was doing. Then they asked for car seat advice. It was rather awesome. :D I didn't get all the measurements but got a lot of them. I'll get more next time I go. :)

Glad you had a good experience at BRU yesterday with people asking about what you were doing. Thanks for all the measurements.

MomToEliEm

Bumping up this thread in hopes of getting a few more measurements for the spreadsheet. If you have any of the below seats, please try and enter some of your data for them. If you have any of the seats already entered, feel free to submit any missing data or if you get different measurements then what is already listed, submit what data you do have.

Below are some of the seats that I noticed we were still missing:

<updated list further down in thread>

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can do a SafeGuard GO (2nd gen.) and SafeGuard CHild Seat this weekend if I go to our storage unit. I can probably hit some of the others at the store (Target, Babies R Us) Saturday as well.

MomToEliEm

I got my SG seats submitted (Go and CS.) Then I noticed that someone already did the SGCS. Sorry for the duplication!

Thanks so much. I don't mind duplications on seats as then I can verify that the measurements are more accurate if they are the same. When they differ, I will probably take an average between the two, for the master summary page.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm not sure an average is the best way to handle that. I'd probably PM everyone who submitted them and ask them to check that measurement first to see if they, on closer inspection, are incorrect or one person is being a little less generous with the compression or something. :) If they still differ an average might be good, or rounding to a whole number if some of the numbers are fractions. I'd rather be conservative than give an overestimate, for sure.

featherhead

I think one measurement that is missing is the crotch strap length (length of the actual strap). That would be helpful for the one thread up in the Canadian forum right now:)

MomToEliEm

I think one measurement that is missing is the crotch strap length (length of the actual strap). That would be helpful for the one thread up in the Canadian forum right now:)

Would you want that for all the carseat types or just combination seat/youth?

BTW - I have created a new public social group on the board for discussions related to this carseat measurements/data spreadsheet. Right now, I have a post with links for the submission forms as well as the raw summary sheets (don't have the master spreadsheets ready yet). I do plan to make a post to put in the articles forum but haven't done that yet since I don't have the master summary sheets ready yet so for now, you should be able to easily find the links by going to the social group.

I also have some posts looking for verification on measurements already submitted, particularly in cases where multiple people submitted data for a seat. I was hoping to have multiple people to submit data as this allows me to ensure the data is more accurate. If anyone sees any data off in the existing summary sheets, feel free to submit your own data so we can try and get the master summary page as accurate as possible.

There are still a number of seats still missing data, so if you have a seat, check to see if it has already been entered. If it is not there or has some missing data, please try submitting your data.

Here is the link to the new social group:
http://www.car-seat.org/group.php?groupid=20
It is public so everyone should be able to see the data in it.

featherhead

Would you want that for all the carseat types or just combination seat/youth?

BTW - I have created a new public social group on the board for discussions related to this carseat measurements/data spreadsheet. Right now, I have a post with links for the submission forms as well as the raw summary sheets (don't have the master spreadsheets ready yet). I do plan to make a post to put in the articles forum but haven't done that yet since I don't have the master summary sheets ready yet so for now, you should be able to easily find the links by going to the social group.

I also have some posts looking for verification on measurements already submitted, particularly in cases where multiple people submitted data for a seat. I was hoping to have multiple people to submit data as this allows me to ensure the data is more accurate. If anyone sees any data off in the existing summary sheets, feel free to submit your own data so we can try and get the master summary page as accurate as possible.

There are still a number of seats still missing data, so if you have a seat, check to see if it has already been entered. If it is not there or has some missing data, please try submitting your data.

Here is the link to the new social group:
http://www.car-seat.org/group.php?groupid=20
It is public so everyone should be able to see the data in it.

Well, it would probably be helpful for all types (minus booster of course:)) I would submit data, but well, it's much too cold here to be playing with carseats:p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC