Convertible Carseats - Requesting measurements/information for your carseats

MomToEliEm

For a while now, I have wanted to see a webpage or spreadsheet listing all the carseats available along with certain information (measurements, manufacturer stated limits, features, etc.) all listed together so it is easier to compare carseats. Once most of the data is collected, I will consolidate the data into one report for everyone to use. I will try to keep the main summary report updated whenever new data is submitted.

In this post, I am requesting data for Convertible Carseats (the harnessed carseats that can be installed both rearfacing and forward facing). For this data gathering effort, if you have access to a particular seat, try to gather some of the data and submit it using the submission form linked below. When submitting your data, you don't have to collect all the data I am asking for. If some data is missing, hopefully someone else will submit that data later on. If you disagree with a particular measurement or information someone else has already submitted, submit your own entry for that seat providing your information. In the main summary report, I will combine all the submitted data so everything for one seat appears together. It may take several weeks/months to gather this data, but hopefully when it is all together, it will be a useful document to reference.

Use this form to submit data for convertible carseats:
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/submitforms

Here is the website showing the master summary spreadsheets
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/
I also have a post in the articles forum of the board to help you find the spreadsheets easily, as this post gets buried down pretty quickly:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=114993

If you make a mistake on some data you submitted, send me a message (PM to MomToEliEm) and indicate the information you need changed or deleted, and I will try to get it corrected on the spreadsheet.

If you have other seat types, there are posts for gathering data for each of the other seat types:
Infant Carseats
Convertible Carseats
Combination/Youth Carseats
Dedicated Booster Seats

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Here is a list of the data I am requesting for Convertible Carseats. I know it is a lot of information, but don't feel like you have to submit all the data. You can let others submit some of the information as well

----------------------------------

Convertible Car Seat Information
Use this form to submit information (measurements, limits, etc.) on convertible car seats (these are seats that can be installed rear facing and forward facing). If a particular field is not applicable to a particular car seat, enter "N/A" or leave field blank. If you only have answers to some of the questions, leave the other fields blank and someone else will hopefully answer those questions at a later time.

Car seat Manufacturer - What is the manufacturer name of this convertible car seat?

Car Seat Model Name - What is the model name of this infant car seat? If variations exist for a particular model, please provide details as to cover or style of the seat so we know which seat you are measuring.

Lowest Harness Height - Measure from the bottom seating area up to the lowest harness slot/position (compress cover and padding during measurement) to determine the lowest harness height. Make sure to look at the actual slot in the seat and not just the cover as the cover may shift around not giving a true indication of the harness slot location. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the harness will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Highest Harness Height - Measure from the bottom seating area up to the highest harness slot/position (compress cover and padding during measurement) to determine the highest harness height. Make sure to look at the actual slot in the seat and not just the cover as the cover may shift around not giving a true indication of the harness slot location. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the harness will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Shortest Crotch Buckle Position - Measure from the back of the seating area to the first crotch buckle position. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the buckle will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Longest Crotch Buckle Position - Measure from the back of the seating area to the furthest away crotch buckle position. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the buckle will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Crotch Buckle Length - Measure the actual length of the crotch buckle strap as it extends from the shell up to the buckle (include the actual buckle in the measurement length).

Internal Seating Depth - Measure the inside measurements from the back of the carseat where the child's back rests to the front of the seat where the child's legs would bend.

Internal Seating Height - Measure from the bottom of the seat (compress cover and padding during measurement) to the top of the shell. If the shell height varies, get a measurement at a position where the child's head would be typically be positioned.

Internal Seat Bottom Width - Measure the internal width of the seat at the bottom seating area of the seat.

Internal Seat Shoulder Width - Measure the internal width of the seat at the top portion of the seat at a position where an older child's shoulders would typically be positioned.
External Seat Width - Measure the external width of the seat at the widest position.

Seat Weight - Measure the weight of the car seat.

Rear Facing Weight Range - What is the manufacturer's stated rear facing weight range for the convertible car seat?

Forward Facing Weight Range - What is the manufacturer's stated forward facing weight range for the convertible car seat?

Rear Facing Height Range - What is the manufacturer's stated rear facing height range for the convertible car seat?

Forward Facing Height Range - What is the manufacturer's stated forward facing height range for the convertible car seat?

Rear Facing Age Range - What is the manufacturer's stated rear facing age range for the convertible car seat?

Forward Facing Age Range - What is the manufacturer's stated forward facing age range for the convertible car seat?

Lock-offs Provided - Does the seat have any built in Lock-off clips on the convertible car seat?
Option 1: Does not have Lock-offs
Option 2: Has Lock-offs
Option 3: Unsure

Rebound Control - Does seat provide any rebound control devices, such as a tether strap or rebound bar, to be used while the car seat is installed rear facing?
Option 1: None
Option 2: Rear facing Tether
Option 3: Rebound Bar
Option 4: Unsure

Seat Modes - Indicate if the seat is just a harnessed rear facing and forward facing car seat or if it also converts to a booster seat.
Option 1: Rear facing/Forward Facing
Option 2: Rear facing/Forward Facing/Booster

Expiration Limits - When does this convertible car seat expire (i.e. - 6 years from manufacturer date, December of 6th year from manufacturer date, etc.)?

Other Information - Provide any other unique features, limitations, installation tricks regarding this convertible car seat.

User Name - What is your car-seat.org user name?

Information for seats that convert to a booster seat

Lowest Booster Belt Guide Height - With the car seat in booster mode in the lowest position, measure from the seat bottom (compress cover and padding during measurement) to the belt guide location at the top of the booster seat. If there is a wide gap for the belt guide, you can enter a range for the measurement depending on if the seat belt hits the top of the belt guide or the bottom of the belt guide. If the seat belt is always forced to the top of the belt guide, only provide the top measurement. If the seat belt is always forced to the bottom of the belt guide, only provide the bottom measurement.

Highest Booster Belt Guide Height - With the car seat in booster mode in the highest position, measure from the seat bottom (compress cover and padding during measurement) to the seat belt guide location at the top of the booster seat. If there is a wide gap for the belt guide, you can enter a range for the measurement depending on if the seat belt hits the top of the belt guide or the bottom of the belt guide. If the seat belt is always forced to the top of the belt guide, only provide the top measurement. If the seat belt is always forced to the bottom of the belt guide, only provide the bottom measurement.

Booster Mode Weight Range - What is the manufacturer's stated weight range to use the seat as a booster seat?

Booster Mode Height Range - What is the manufacturer's stated height range to use the seat as a booster seat?

Booster Mode Age Range - What is the manufacturer's stated age range to use the seat as a booster seat?

Booster LATCH Capable - While seat is being used as a booster seat, can LATCH straps secure the booster seat to the vehicle?
Option 1: N/A
Option 2: Cannot use LATCH
Option 3: Can Use LATCH
Option 4: Mfg Unclear on LATCH
Option 5: Unsure

Last edited:

noahsmom24

I have the Alpha Omega Elite DOM of 07, While it isn't a particularly good choice for most looking ERF, Harnesses only to 40lbs & makes a horrible booster :eek: Would you still like this information?
I plan to donate it most likely in the next few days, so Just wondering. :)

I think is a GREAT idea btw! Make it so much easier for those looking for car seats or as just a quick refference for those helping others and want to make sure numbers/names etc,. is right. :thumbsup:

MomToEliEm

I have the Alpha Omega Elite DOM of 07, While it isn't a particularly good choice for most looking ERF, Harnesses only to 40lbs & makes a horrible booster :eek: Would you still like this information?
I plan to donate it most likely in the next few days, so Just wondering. :)

If you can get the measurements, that would be great. Make sure to indicate in the carseat model name area that it is the older style 3-in-1 (maybe include the date) so we can keep track of all the new and old styles.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oooh! Fun! I have a Complete Air, a Radian 65 (actually 2-- old and new RF weight limits), an Avenue, an Uptown, and a Boulevard in my garage. I'll get them out and do them right now!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, my kids are screaming so I'm taking a break. I've done the CA, Uptown, and Avenue.

If someone wants to do the Boulevard and Radians in the mean while I won't object. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Alright, finally finished Boulevard and Radian 65 (new features.) Haven't found the scale yet, though.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have awful insomnia tonight and am bored out of my mind... would it be terribly strange to go down to the parking lot and measure car seats at 5:30 in the morning?

Seriously, though... I need to pull a couple of seats out of my van for a dcparent to look at today so I may just pull everything out and measure them all. I have a decent variety, though the only convertible I see not on the list is a Scenera, oddly enough. I can weigh the MR too. :)

Carrie

MomToEliEm

I have awful insomnia tonight and am bored out of my mind... would it be terribly strange to go down to the parking lot and measure car seats at 5:30 in the morning?

If I saw you measuring seats out in the freezing cold at 5:30am, I probably would think something strange was going on, though I would be grateful for the info.

kathysr98

I have a Signo I can measure for you tomorrow, and a Como & EFTA I can measure at some point if no one else gets to it first.

Do you want the lowest harness height with & without infant padding? I ask because that can make a difference in whether or not a newborn fits in many seats, which is what I assume most people would use that measurement for.

MomToEliEm

Do you want the lowest harness height with & without infant padding? I ask because that can make a difference in whether or not a newborn fits in many seats, which is what I assume most people would use that measurement for.

Probably with the lowest, with the infant padding is probably what most people want. Make a comment with that measurement though that says "# inches (with infant padding)", or you could add two measurements (one with and one without).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Got all my seats weighed, and had another thought-- one measurement that's not there that might be helpful is seating area depth, that is, the depth of the seat from back where it bends to where the seat ends in front or curves down if it is very curved. You know, to kind of give information on how much leg room it gives rear-facing, and how much support FFers' legs will have...

noahsmom24

Got all my seats weighed, and had another thought-- one measurement that's not there that might be helpful is seating area depth, that is, the depth of the seat from back where it bends to where the seat ends in front or curves down if it is very curved. You know, to kind of give information on how much leg room it gives rear-facing, and how much support FFers' legs will have...

:thumbsup:

MomToEliEm

I had that measurement for booster seats, but forgot about it for the other seats. I have added that field to infant seats, convertible, and combination/youth carseat forms. If anyone wants to submit that piece of information for already entered seats, you can enter the carseat brand/model and that one field on the form.

I know the spreadsheet just placed that new column at the very end, and I will see if I can get it rearranged so it falls in with the other measurements instead of at the last column. Google spreadsheets doesn't make this an easy task.

ks1978

Are you compiling different stats for different/yet similar seats? Radian 65/80/xt/80sl/xtsl etc?
Boulevard/Marathon?

I ask because I have the XT and MA, but I see there is already a Radian and a Boulevard and I am assuming the stats are about identical?

MomToEliEm

Are you compiling different stats for different/yet similar seats? Radian 65/80/xt/80sl/xtsl etc?
Boulevard/Marathon?

I ask because I have the XT and MA, but I see there is already a Radian and a Boulevard and I am assuming the stats are about identical?

It probably would be best to have separate entries for each type of seat. Even though they might be similar to the other seats, there could be some slight differences. On the final report, I would probably want to see all the seats listed separately so that when people are comparing the radian 65 and 80, they can see that they really are almost identical (except for the weight allowances). Some people get different harness heights for some of the britax seats, so I could see where there would be differences.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC