Infant Carseats - Requesting measurements/information for your carseats

MomToEliEm

For a while now, I have wanted to see a webpage or spreadsheet listing all the carseats available along with certain information (measurements, manufacturer stated limits, features, etc.) all listed together so it is easier to compare carseats. Once most of the data is collected, I will consolidate the data into one report for everyone to use. I will try to keep the main summary report updated whenever new data is submitted.

In this post, I am requesting data for Infant Carseats (the rearfacing only bucket type seats). For this data gathering effort, if you have access to a particular seat, try to gather some of the data and submit it using the submission form linked below. When submitting your data, you don't have to collect all the data I am asking for. If some data is missing, hopefully someone else will submit that data later on. If you disagree with a particular measurement or information someone else has already submitted, submit your own entry for that seat providing your information. In the main summary report, I will combine all the submitted data so everything for one seat appears together. It may take several weeks/months to gather this data, but hopefully when it is all together, it will be a useful document to reference.

Use this website for submitting your data:
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/submitforms

Here is the website showing the master summary spreadsheets
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

If you make a mistake on some data you submitted, send me a message (PM to MomToEliEm) and indicate the information you need changed or deleted, and I will try to get it corrected on the spreadsheet.

If you have other seat types, there are posts for gathering data for each of the other seat types:
Infant Carseats
Convertible Carseats
Combination/Youth Carseats
Dedicated Booster Seats

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Here is a list of the data I am requesting for each sheet. I know it is a lot of data, and you don't have to submit all the data (just leave those fields blank).

--------------------

Infant Car Seat Information
Use this form to submit information (measurements, limits, etc.) on infant bucket car seats (these are seats that are rear facing only and typically have a base that stays in the car and the bucket portion is removable from the car). If a particular field is not applicable to a particular car seat, enter "N/A" or leave field blank. If you only have answers to some of the questions, leave the other fields blank and someone else will hopefully answer those questions at a later time.

Car seat Manufacturer
What is the manufacturer name of this infant car seat?

Car Seat Model Name
What is the model name of this infant car seat? If variations exist for a particular model, please provide details as to cover or style of the seat so we know which seat you are measuring.

Lowest Harness Height
Measure from the bottom seating area up to the lowest harness slot/position (compress cover and padding during measurement) to determine the lowest harness height. Make sure to look at the actual slot in the seat and not just the cover as the cover may shift around not giving a true indication of the harness slot location. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the harness will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Highest Harness Height
Measure from the bottom seating area up to the highest harness slot/position (compress cover and padding during measurement) to determine the highest harness height. Make sure to look at the actual slot in the seat and not just the cover as the cover may shift around not giving a true indication of the harness slot location. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the harness will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Shortest Crotch Buckle Position
Measure from the back of the seating area to the first crotch buckle position. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the buckle will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Longest Crotch Buckle Position
Measure from the back of the seating area to the furthest away crotch buckle position. If the slot is wide, measure to the position where the buckle will be positioned when the harness is tightened.

Crotch Buckle Length - Measure the actual length of the crotch buckle strap as it extends from the shell up to the buckle (include the actual buckle in the measurement length).

Internal Seating Depth - Measure the inside measurements from the base where the child's bottom rests to the edge of the seat where the child's feat would lay.

Internal Seating Height
Measure from the bottom of the seat (compress cover and padding during measurement) to the top of the shell. If the shell height varies, get a measurement at a position where the child's head would be typically be positioned.
Internal Seat Width
Measure the internal width of the seat at the bottom seating area of the seat.

External Seat Width
Measure the widest external width of the seat (including the handle if it is the widest point on the seat).

Bucket Seat Weight
Measure the weight of the bucket portion of the car seat. Do not include the base as part of the weight.

Seat Weight Range
What is the manufacturer's stated weight range to use the infant car seat?

Seat Height Range
What is the manufacturer's stated height range to use the infant car seat?

Seat Age Range
What is the manufacturer's stated age range to use the infant car seat?

Handle Positions
What handle positions are allowed while the car seat is used in a vehicle?

Lock-offs Provided
Does the seat have any built in Lock-off clips on the infant car seat?
Option 1: Does not have Lock-offs
Option 2: Has Lock-offs

Seat Modes
What methods can the car seat be installed in the car?
Options 1: With/Without Base
Option 2: Only With Base
Option 3: Only Without Base

Expiration Limits
When does this infant car seat expire (i.e. - 6 years from manufacturer date, December of 6th year from manufacturer date, etc.)?

Other Information
Provide any other unique features, limitations, installation tricks regarding this infant car seat.

User Name
What is your car-seat.org user name?

Last edited:

MomToEliEm

Bumping this up in hopes of getting some more infant seat measurements/info added to the spreadhseet.

If anyone has any of the below seats (or any others I might have missed), feel free to add your info using the submission form in the first post.

Chicco KeyFit 22 versions

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio

Evenflo Discovery

Evenflo Embrace

Combi Shuttle

Combi Centre

Safety 1st OnBoard (have a 35lb version with no lock-offs)

Safety 1st Starter

Safety 1st Designer

Maxi-Cosi Micro

I am still trying to figure out how best to provide a summary report for all the seat data collected. If anyone has any ideas on how best to display the final data (especially since so much data is being collected), I would be open to any ideas. Should all the seat types (infant, convertible, combination, booster) be together or split up. Any ideas on how to not have the report so wide. In excel, you can freeze the columns so it isn't too bad, though you might prefer the summary as a PDF which could be pretty hard to read with all the data.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I got partial info at our visit to BRU on the Serenade, Keyfit 30, SR22, and SR35. I'll try to get more info next time we go (the store was closing and I didn't have time to get more seats, and I was only doing some of the measurements this trip.) If no one fills in my blanks I'll make sure to get them later. :)

MomToEliEm

I got partial info at our visit to BRU on the Serenade, Keyfit 30, SR22, and SR35. I'll try to get more info next time we go (the store was closing and I didn't have time to get more seats, and I was only doing some of the measurements this trip.) If no one fills in my blanks I'll make sure to get them later. :)

Thanks so much!

JerseyGirl'sMama

Just saw your post in my Companion thread and submitted the form. I am selling it locally tomorrow morning, so I am glad I just caught it before I headed off to bed. :thumbsup:

skitle1802

bump...I added a Graco SafeSeat!
Great idea for a comparison chart! I love my SafeSeat but it would have saved so much time researching!!!

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
I posted a small bit of info on the Embrace. I don't have the seat any longer, so I can't get measurements.

What about adding to the form if the seat harness is a rear adjust or a front adjust? It could be a drop down option like the lockoffs: Front Adjust, Rear Adjust, Depends on Model.

soygurl

I've got most (but not all) of the info for the Safety 1st OnBoard, but it's the version from Target (different weight min, no lock-off, no infant instert). Not sure how you'd want me to enter the info (or should I wait until I can go back and get the rest of the info?)
As far as I know, there isn't any clear way to define the different versions... :confused:

MomToEliEm

I've got most (but not all) of the info for the Safety 1st OnBoard, but it's the version from Target (different weight min, no lock-off, no infant instert). Not sure how you'd want me to enter the info (or should I wait until I can go back and get the rest of the info?)
As far as I know, there isn't any clear way to define the different versions... :confused:

For the model name, just enter the model name and then maybe a note for the weight range. This way we can know how to tell it from the newer OnBoard seats. I know with the SnugRides, there are now several versions, but I am just planning on having a notation in the model name to quickly see which seat is which due to the weight range for that seat.

Just submit the data that you have now, and then if you can get the later info, just submit it at that time. I will combine any data entered by the same person for the same seat so you shouldn't have multiple rows for one seat. I will still have seperate rows for seats submitted by different people (on the master summary sheet though, everything will be joined together).

Last edited:

brelza

For a while now, I have wanted to see a webpage or spreadsheet listing all the carseats available along with certain information (measurements, manufacturer stated limits, features, etc.) all listed together so it is easier to compare carseats. Once most of the data is collected, I will consolidate the data into one report for everyone to use. I will try to keep the main summary report updated whenever new data is submitted.

In this post, I am requesting data for Infant Carseats (the rearfacing only bucket type seats). For this data gathering effort, if you have access to a particular seat, try to gather some of the data and submit it using the submission form linked below. When submitting your data, you don't have to collect all the data I am asking for. If some data is missing, hopefully someone else will submit that data later on. If you disagree with a particular measurement or information someone else has already submitted, submit your own entry for that seat providing your information. In the main summary report, I will combine all the submitted data so everything for one seat appears together. It may take several weeks/months to gather this data, but hopefully when it is all together, it will be a useful document to reference.

Use this form to submit data for infant carseats:
Infant Carseat Submission Form

Here is a spreadsheet showing the infant carseat data already submitted:
Infant Carseat Data Spreadsheet

Once I have a summary spreadsheet created (waiting until more data is submitted), I will post that link here.

If you make a mistake on some data you submitted, send me a message (PM to MomToEliEm) and indicate the information you need changed or deleted, and I will try to get it corrected on the spreadsheet.

The following seats have already been submitted (I will try to keep the below list updated as new data is submitted):

Team Tex America Baby Ride (institutional seat) - still needing bucket seat weight
Baby Trend Flex Loc Infant Seat (22lb and 30lb limit versions)
Britax Companion (Onyx) - needing bucket seat weight
Chicco Keyfit 30 - needing weight and internal seating depth
Evenflo Serenade
Graco Safeseat Step 1
Graco SnugRide 35 - needing weight and internal seating depth
Graco SnugRide 22 - needing weight and internal seating depth
Safety 1st OnBoard 35

If you have other seat types, there are posts for gathering data for each of the other seat types:
Infant Carseats
Convertible Carseats
Combination/Youth Carseats
Dedicated Booster Seats

I had no idea you were doing this. I've always been checking this site (Carseat Data website closed - link broken) to get the measurements to seats. Maybe it can help fill in some that are missing?

MomToEliEm

I had no idea you were doing this. I've always been checking carseatdata to get the measurements to seats. Maybe it can help fill in some that are missing?

That would be great if you could fill in any missing data for infant seats and the other seat types. I am still working on the master summary sheet displaying the data and hope to have it done soon. I had used the measurements page on the carseatdata.org site for a while, but it didn't seem to stay updated and was missing some of the measurements and data I wanted to see.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have found the carseatdata.org measurements to be WAY off on many occasions. I'd probably not trust data from that source without in-person verification.

MomToEliEm

I have created a new public social group to the board for discussions related to this carseat measurements/data spreadsheet. Right now, I have a post with links for the submission forms as well as the raw summary sheets (don't have the master spreadsheets ready yet). I do plan to make a post to put in the articles forum but haven't done that yet since I don't have the master summary sheets ready yet so for now, you should be able to easily find the links by going to the social group.

I also have some posts looking for verification on measurements already submitted, particularly in cases where multiple people submitted data for a seat. I was hoping to have multiple people to submit data as this allows me to ensure the data is more accurate. If anyone sees any data off in the existing summary sheets, feel free to submit your own data so we can try and get the master summary page as accurate as possible.

There are still a number of seats still missing data, so if you have a seat, check to see if it has already been entered. If it is not there or has some missing data, please try submitting your data.

Here is the link to the new social group:
http://www.car-seat.org/group.php?groupid=20
It is public so everyone should be able to see the data in it.

MomToEliEm

I created a few different versions of the master summary sheet. One in google documents which you view online and two (excel and pdf) which you download locally to your computer. Let me know if you think any of these formats will work or if you prefer something different. I can combine all the different carseat types (infant, convertible, combination, booster) into one document and have tabs at the bottom to switch between them, or I can keep them all as separate files. If you see any measurements you disagree with, submit your own using the form, PM me, or bring up the issue in the newly created social group (http://www.car-seat.org/group.php?groupid=20). I want to try and have the data as accurate as possible, but the only way that can happen is if people submit their data and verify other people's data. Once I have all the master spreadsheets finished up and I get feedback on formats people want to see it in, I will make up a post for the articles forum so these links can be easier to find. Note the links will change each time I update the spreadsheets, so don't make any shortcuts to the spreadsheets (I will try to update this thread though with the most up-to-date links though).

Here are some of the current versions of the master summary sheet:

Edited to change the layout of the master spreadsheets. I now have them in a simple website instead of posting the individual links. This should make it easier to update links each time the master spreadsheet changes. Here is the link to the carseat measurements/data spreadsheet website: http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

Last edited:

MomToEliEm

I have an SR 32 if you need that information. It wasn't on the list so i thought i'd ask.

I don't have that one yet. It should be very similar to the SafeSeat or the SnugRide 35, but I would like to have separate entries for each, especially since they have different limits. If you could, please measure it and submit the data.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC