I turned him FF....

Mommy2Marcus

BUT, I am trying to decide if I am going to leave him FF or not. I turned him b/c my mom was riding with me & needed more leg room than what the seat could give her while his seat was RF behind the passenger seat. Since he is over 3 & now over 30lbs, I felt okay with that. I have also been having some trouble with my back, so I left it FF for awhile. I also left it to hopefully let the dents in the seat pop back out.

I think I am pretty much okay with him being FF, but part of me feels guilty about leaving him FF when he could be RF. Should I feel bad about it? He is 3 & 3 months old, weighed 32.2lbs nekkid, is about 39 inches tall with a 14 inch torso. SO...........WDYT?

It has helped my back & is a little easier to put him in, but not so greatly easy that it would be horrible to put him back RF. Just looking for some thoughts here.

ADS

NannyMom

Sofi is 3yrs 3 months, 30 pounds. She won't be FF short of an emergency for awhile yet. But my goal is 4yrs. I agree with PP... you bought a seat to keep him RF, might as well use it :)

mommy-medic

I have had Syd FFing at times too (her weight fluctuates- right now shes about 29-30 lbs, but before pneumonia was around 33). I was tempted to leave her FFing, but part of me felt hypocritical- encouraging other to RF as long as possible despite personal conveniences, legs, shoes, coats, etc. When her weight dropped I put her RFing again and feel better about it. I am really wanting to get a XTSL for the ten extra pounds (and the Flora cover :whistle:) and the steel frame. Dunno if that helps you or not- it's your decision to make and not for us to judge you or whatever for it (not saying anyone is). Heck if you leave him FFing you made it over 3x the "norm"!! :thumbsup:

autumnlily

Making it to 3 years is a HUGE accomplishment, outside this forum. The more and more I see poor useage 'in the real' world - makes me feel great for the time my girls have ERF (they are under 2 and have a while yet) and that my 4 year old has the option to ERF when seat allowance is available.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. But, it will always be on your mind.

armywife12

I would be ok with it but it would be in the back of my mind everyday that he could still rf. I would also feel a bit hypocritical too like some others have mentioned. I would rf until he outgrows the myride but wouldn't beat myself up over it if choosing to ff.

amyd

I personally would turn him back because I couldn't deal with it if, God forbid, something were to happen & he were FFing when he could be RFing. You need to decide for yourself, though. If you feel okay with your decision, keep him FFing. He's certainly old enough.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
DD is the same age, and basically the same size and she's still RF in her cushy MR.....so you know what I think you should do....;)

Mommy2Marcus

Thanks Everyone for your thoughts on it. I am SO torn on weather or not to turn him back. I do feel pretty much ok with him FF, but there is that small what-if thought in the back of my head. So...I am trying to decide what to do about it. I may turn him back or I might leave him FF. Who knows.

AtTheSouthDam

I'd say turn him back around and see what he does or says. I have turned DD2 around in other cars before if I couldn't get it in well RF and she was okay but didn;t peep when she was back RF in our car. Oddly enough, she panics at the idea of FF in our car :rolleyes:
So if he doesn't mind leave him that way and if he complains put him back FF if you are okay with it.

Mommy2Marcus

I'd say turn him back around and see what he does or says. I have turned DD2 around in other cars before if I couldn't get it in well RF and she was okay but didn;t peep when she was back RF in our car. Oddly enough, she panics at the idea of FF in our car :rolleyes:
So if he doesn't mind leave him that way and if he complains put him back FF if you are okay with it.

This is what I was thinking. He was fussing about wanting to be FF for awhile, then he stopped. Now I am worried that I did turn him he will want to stay that way. Who knows. I am thinking I am deffinatly going to try him RF again though.

cryswilkins

I am the minority here, my DD is 3yrs and 30lbs and I have her FF. When she hit 30lbs our seats were only 33lbs seats, I was huge pregnant and was not going to be weighing her every day to make sure that she was under the weight limit.

She is still FF now even though I have a RNXT, at 3 yrs old I feel fine with a little one FF.

marcymc

I turned my dd FF shortly after her 3rd b-day. I turned her back RF for the reason pp mentioned. I worried about her getting hurt FF in an accident when I had a seat that could RF her. She did complain a few times, but is fine RF now at 3y 5m. I will probably turn her FF if she gets closer to the limit. I will not buy a new seat or weigh her every day.

zeo2ski

If you were 100% comfortable with it I'd say "good job making it to 3." But you're not 100% sure, so I say RF him til he outgrows the seat.

I dreaded turning my ODS FF, but he was hovering at 35 lbs right before the MR came out and I actually had to turn him FF for a week. At first I was excited--it was new and different and I could see (and hear!) the kid for the first time, although it was actually harder to get him in and out. Well he started crying that he wanted to RF and I'd look at him in that rear view mirror and it was a horrible feeling, knowing that I wanted him RF and HE wanted to RF and I felt guilty for having liked the novelty of FF. Luckily he dropped enough ounces to RF in his BLVD long enough for the MR and Radian to be 40 lbs and he's still RF at 3.5 and will be for a while still.

obamamama

If you want, keep him FF for another drive or two, see how you really feel. If you just feel awful and the guilt is keeping you up at night ;) then turn him back RF.

I'm with the other posters who said they didn't want to have to RF and keep checking their kids weight. Landen is for sure 33lbs and his seat is a TF, so we're FF now.

Although for Marcus, he's nowhere near the 40lbs of the MR capacity, so you do have time to do the switch back and forth when necessary.
:twocents:

karlatta

Depending on the level of back pain you have, I would probably leave him FF.

I turned my DS at 3.5 because I was pregnant and it was no longer comfortable to load him in RF. (I couldn't actually even reach his seat with my giant belly, and he often falls asleep in the car and couldn't get out on his own.)

I often feel a little nagging at the back of my head about the fact that he could still be RF. But I have to tell myself that I've done the best I can for my family, and that he's as safe as I can reasonably make him. I do RF him for long or more dangerous car trips - like the 9 hour drive to see my ILs or if the roads are icy.

Kat_Momof3

before, you were not comfortable putting him ff yet... so I said stick with him rf... but if you're comfortable with him sitting ff, he's over 3yrs old, so let him have a say if he's mature enough to have one.

Also, with back pain, I know how horrid it can be... and you need to do what works best for you and your child...

pastrygirl

I'm in the same boat. My son is 3.5 years old and I've just about had it with RF and the contorting necessary to get him in and buckled... He's 37 pounds and I have one of the RNXTs that was retroactively approved for 40 pounds. He's been a pain lately about getting into his seat, I have a baby who hates the car, and I have a bad temper when anyone is complaining or crying. Those factors together made me decide to FF him a couple of days ago. I feel a little guilty, especially since I was originally thinking to get through the winter RF... but FF has made things a bit easier.

We might get a new 45-pound RN when the baby needs the Marathon, but we'd still use it FF only.

jujumum

Can you get him to climb in the seat rf himself? My dd would at that age. My 2.5 year old can, too, but refuses to do it. Instead he tried to climb into the trunk of the van to escape me.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
He is 3 and 30+ lbs. There is no reason to beat yourself up about him being ff. I turned my ds at 3 and am not the least bit upset about it. I worried over it for a few days but once I got used to him ff it was not a big deal. Making it to 3 is a huge accomplishment. If you WANT him rf, then turn him rf. If you are ok with him ff, then leave him that way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC