Playdate in Odyssey - Nauti, Pkwy, Turbo or RSTV? (Long)

momtoirs

DS is 5y 3m, roughly 45#, 45", although I haven't measured or weighed him in a while. He's probably somewhere between 43 and 47, both for height and weight. DS's primary seat is a Nautilus. We just moved the harness up to the top slot as is just over the second from the top slot. We also have an old Parkway and a Turbobooster. He has ridden in both with DW and I and does well when its just him. We also have an RSTV.

He has a play date coming up where it is going to work best for him to ride in a 2008 Honda Odyssey with his friend and his friend's dad. This friend tends to bring out DS’s less predictable, more impulsive side :)

DW will bring DS to school in our 98 Mazda Protégé. A Nauti is installed usually installed in the center of this car. We do sometimes move it outboard if we need room for a friend. It’s a pretty easy install in any position, except the top tether can be tricky to get tightened (center only) because the anchor is so close to the seat. Any of our other seats can come along in the car.

DW can likely help with the initial install of whatever into the Odyssey. She'll do okay if its an easy install, but doesn't get practice with any of our seats and might not know how to trouble shoot if it doesn’t just go in. Friends’ dad will be in charge of getting DS into the Odyssey on the return trip to school, where DS will go home with DW in the Mazda.

We are open to sending any of our seats.
*Nautilus – would have to be uninstalled and installed twice (we do have 2 of these – one for each of our vehicles)
*Parkway (old style) – DS may or may not stay in position with a friend in the vehicle
*Turbobooster – DS may or may not stay in position with a friend in the vehicle
*RSTV – trickier to use

What would you use?

Thanks for the input.

Tina

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Can your DW practice installing the Nauti a couple of times between now and the playdate? If you're concerned about your son not staying in position, that would be my first pick. Remember that it would need to be a seatbelt install, due to the LATCH limits in that vehicle. In my experience the Nautilus tends to install very easily, but I'm not a tech and so I've only installed it in a small handful of vehicles. I'm sure someone else here can tell you how easy or difficult that install is.

To minimize the uninstall/reinstall, can you uninstall the Nauti from the second car, so that he rides in his normal, center-installed Nauti to/from school that day, and the secondary GN is the one put in and out of the Odyssey?

If you're not confident the Nautilus can be installed properly, then I would speak with the parent picking up and let them know your son is not used to being boostered and they'll need to remind him to sit right in his seat. How long of a drive is it? 5 minutes or a half an hour? That makes a difference, too.

momtoirs

So, we've been thinking about using the Nauti. Any tips for installing it in an 08 Odyssey?

(Or any other ideas/suggestions about which option to go use?)

Thanks!

Tina

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC