Vent Parkway/ new cover

steph_s

Has Britax lost their ever lovin minds? $60 + 12 shipping= $72 for a new cover for the new pkwy sg!!! :scratcheshead: I only paid $60 for the entire seat! I just got another seat for my friend for $73, and they want $72 for just the cover!!! :eek:

Between this, their lack of any innovation when it comes to new convertible seats, their poor crash tests with their convertible seats, discontinuing the Regent, and other nonsense I can only wonder what on earth is wrong with those people!

Really... what are they smoking cause it's gotta be some good stuff! Do they walk into their corporate office and their brains are sucked out of their heads? I just don't get it!

:soapbox:

ADS

steph_s

How'd you get a Parkway SG for $60?!? :eek:

A website had them on sale and I found an online coupon for that website. I then had diapers.com match that sites price with coupon and used diapers.com coupons to get it down to $60. Got my friends for $73 just by price matching and using coupons online the same way I did before, just not as good of coupons.

ks1978

They have to build the additional cost of the magical bubble into their cover prices and shipping costs. ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Has anyone else noticed that shipping costs seem to have gone through the roof in the last year or so? I just shipped a Parkway and it was $21 Parcel Post, and that was less than Fedex Ground Home Delivery and UPS Ground. That was IL to TX, not even to the west coast. Seems like I could ship a 10+ pound high back for like $15 to central or east time zones just a year or two ago and Fedex was almost always cheapest.

I just don't get how all these retailers offer free shipping on stuff, especially when it's under $100 and has any significant weight or size.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
They must have contracts with shippers.

I'm sure they do get good discounts, but even if it is 50% (which seems unlikely even for the biggest retailers), that could still be $10 on something like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Juvenile-Pronto-Belt-Positioning-Booster/dp/B0012L6RJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1263312045&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Cosco Juvenile Pronto Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat in Ore: Baby[/ame] that sells for under $40. That's got to be a big chunk of profit for Amazon, I can't imagine how the smaller brick and mortar baby stores do it at all. Not complaining, though!

steph_s

Big retailers make deals with shipping companies. They promise to use their shipping say FedEx exclusively for x amount of time and get y amount of discount for doing so. So say I have a website selling stuff that is heavy like car seats and I decide to ship exclusively with FedEx. My company and FedEx would then have a meeting. We would discuss how much product I shipped the year before, where my shipping went to, how much I already used their company, ect. What ends up happening is that they pay x amount of money for the entire year of shipping up to a certain amount, then FedEx agrees to cover it until you reach Y amount and then the rest of the shipping is going to be your companies responsibility.

For examples sake the deal would look something like this.
-I pay $1000 every year to fexEx for making this deal with me.
-FedEx allows me to ship for "free" up to $1600 worth of shipping every year at a very discounted price. So say something typically costs you $40 to ship it will not cost you $16 to ship instead. It isn't really "free" because I already paid them $1000 for making this deal with them, but the $1000 doesn't go as fast because I am also getting that discounted amount so I can ship more packages for $1000, but $600 would be technically free shipping.
-FedEx per the deal will allow this up to $1600 and then after that they will charge your company the normal shipping rates.

The shipping companies win out because it keeps them in buisness with boxes going in and out. These companies must ship with only their company and have to meet x amount of shipping obligation or pay the fines. They are also not stupid and won't make these deals with companies that they feel might go under or have less than the prior years shipping costs. This helps the companies because off and on throughout the year they can offer free shipping. Most of the online retailers offer it off and on throughout the year for short periods of time so say perhaps a week at a time, but in reality they aren't in their "free" part of their shipping yet, they are just taking in the costs for now and paying FedEx with their money until later when they aren't having a free shipping sale and your paying for shipping you don't need to. They also get some money because they will greatly discount big items on sale, but still charge shipping fees for it and they get to pocket those fees. It's all a tad complicated, but it works for both parties.

Now, websites that offer free shipping all the time have just knocked out their overheads is all. They don't have B&M stores, they don't have many employees, ect. so they don't need the retail mark up on these products. Say a certain car seat costs them $100 from the manufacturer, they sell it for $250 and pay shipping for you, but shipping is only $20, they are still making a $130 profit on the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC