Does Britax really say this about the BV recall?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I was browsing on ebay and came across a listing for a new BV with no DOM listed, so I emailed the seller and asked them, and here is they're reply:
It's July, 2006. If you're asking because of the recall, it is manufactured within the months of the recall seats, but it seems to be no big deal, other than you don't use the top tether when the child weighs more than 50 lbs. According to Britax, the performance of the seat actually improved with the tether open. That's what they say, anyway. Let me know if you need anything else.

Has anyone else heard that? Does Britax really claim that it performed better without the tether? I have a hard time believing it personally!

ADS

skaterbabs

Yes, it did. Read this thread:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8270&highlight=boulevard+recall
Re: Britax Boulevard recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys you need to remember that the "failure" in this case is one of those "letter of the law" things and NOT a failure to protect the crash dummy.

From the information I've seen, the tether actually performed BETTER (remember the purpose of the tether is to reduce head excursion).

However, an old requirement for the tethers is still on the books (something about the possibility for pinched fingers, iirc) and THAT is why it failed.

Definition of head excursion for those who need it:

Head excursion

The distance that the head of a child or crash dummy moves in the direction of impact or on rebound from a crash.

Higher head excursions are associated with higher risk of head contact and injury.

There are two head excursion limits for forward-facing dummies in FMVSS 213 testing.

Before September 1999, the limit was 32 inches forward of a point located about 5 inches rearward of the seat bight.

Since that date, nearly all forward-facing CRs have to meet an additional limit of about 28 inches (720 mm) from that point, but they can use a tether to do it.

Retaining the old limit provides a guarantee that the CR is structurally sound and will perform as well as older models, even if the tether is not used.
and
From what I understand, the tether hook opened and the seat slipped into recline mode. That's not allowed to happen, not because it causes injury, but because the open hook could (in theory) pinch a child's fingers.
The net result of the hook slipping open (picture a spoon handle bending) was that head excursion numbers were even less than they would have been if the hook had performed "correctly" according to the letter of the law.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Oh sorry, I don't know how I missed that part of that thread! :eek: So, basically, it is thought that it is actually okay to keep using the tether past 50 lbs? And that it actually performed better than the 'regular' tether? But they had to recall it because of the pinched fingers thing? What I originally thought was that they had to recall it because if it came loose in an accident it could be a horrible projectile. I just want to make sure that I understood it correctly. I thought the ebay seller was saying that it performs better with no tether than with a tether. I guess I misunderstood their answer.

skaterbabs

So, basically, it is thought that it is actually okay to keep using the tether past 50 lbs? And that it actually performed better than the 'regular' tether? But they had to recall it because of the pinched fingers thing?

That's right. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC