Which is worse??

Heamae

A forward facing 8 month old or putting that 8 month old in an expired car seat??

(More to the story, will add later. Baby crying)...

ETA:

Ok so here is the story. I have a friend and her baby is the same age as mine, 8 months. As I left her house the other day I looked in her car and was checking out her seats and it looked at though she had the 8 month old in a seat some what like this one....http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012738
She has a daughter that is 6 and had a backless booster next to it for her. There were no other cars around that could have been hers so I can only assume that that is what she had her baby in. It really scared me and I would really like to help her out. I have two seat by Graco that are nothing special but I do know the history of them. They are 40lbs limits, no accidents, all parts. Hardly used so not dirty or anything. The problem is they are going to expire in Sept. 2010. I was thinking she will probably use it even though its expired but wouldnt that be safer than what she is using now??

(If I could afford to go out and buy her a new seat I would but I really cant)

Last edited:
ADS

monstah

A forward facing 8 month old or putting that 8 month old in an expired car seat??

(More to the story, will add later. Baby crying)

This really isn't something anyone can speculate. Especially when you write "More to the story, will add later."

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If the old car seat is less than 10 years old (the recall list does not contain info on seats more than 10yrs old) , rfing in the expired seat would be a better option.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
How expired is the seat? Is it in otherwise good condition -- known history, no recalls, no crashes, no missing parts, no harnesses gone through the washer and dryer?

I can't *recommend* either. I would probably pick an expired seat if expired was the only problem. I would probably pick forward-facing and tightly tethered over expired AND unknown history AND apparently mistreated -- but only to the nearest store that sold carseats.

2BunniesMommy

What a terrible question....too bad it doesn't sound hypothetical.

I don't like either option at all, but am leaning towards the expired and rear facing, as long as like a PP the only problem is that it is expired. Really not a choice I would want to have to make.

Lea_Ontario

How expired is the seat? Is it in otherwise good condition -- known history, no recalls, no crashes, no missing parts, no harnesses gone through the washer and dryer?

I can't *recommend* either. I would probably pick an expired seat if expired was the only problem. I would probably pick forward-facing and tightly tethered over expired AND unknown history AND apparently mistreated -- but only to the nearest store that sold carseats.

Pretty much this, though neither is a real option.

aja

(More to the story, will add later. Baby crying)...

ETA:

Ok so here is the story. I have a friend and her baby is the same age as mine, 8 months. As I left her house the other day I looked in her car and was checking out her seats and it looked at though she had the 8 month old in a seat some what like this one....http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012738
She has a daughter that is 6 and had a backless booster next to it for her. There were no other cars around that could have been hers so I can only assume that that is what she had her baby in. It really scared me and I would really like to help her out. I have two seat by Graco that are nothing special but I do know the history of them. They are 40lbs limits, no accidents, all parts. Hardly used so not dirty or anything. The problem is they are going to expire in Sept. 2010. I was thinking she will probably use it even though its expired but wouldnt that be safer than what she is using now??

(If I could afford to go out and buy her a new seat I would but I really cant)

well one of your seats would definitely be better now. and by september the baby would be 17 months so probably forward facing again anyways. :/

4boysmom

RFing non-expired seat for sure is the safe thing. Right here right now the baby is in danger riding forward facing. You can re-table the idea of a new seat in 6mo. Even if mom reverts back to the seat she is currently using in 9 mo that is 9 mo rearfacing for baby to get a smaller head/body ratio and time to learn about "ERFing" so she knows better and can do better.

2BunniesMommy

Graco seats expire in Dec. So, yours either just expired or is good for almost another year. Hopefully she is open to your help.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree, if the seats have another year (Graco is Dec. of the 6th year from DOM) I'd absolutely give her those for now. At the very least they would get her baby to a LEGAL even if not really safe FF age.

amyd

I would absolutely take just barely expired seats with known history RFing over an 8 month old being FFing. Sounds like your seats have some time left, though.

Heamae

Yeah, I guess the seats have more time than I though. Manf. 9/04 I was just worried that I would be causing more problems down the road if she were to continue to use the seat after it has expired, which I am sure she would. Thanks so much for your help. I am going to try and talk to her soon. :thumbsup:

a_js

They have almost a year left then.

I will be honest--I gave someone a seat (a Scenara that I'd used as a travel seat) and I'm certain she'll use it after it expires, and while I don't love that, it means her baby is IN a seat. Which is better than not.

Kat_Momof3

I'd give her one of the seats... and just make sure she switches back to using a seat that isn't expired (even if it's forward facing) next year when the seat you give her expires.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Have you talked to her about this? I think it's premature to consider giving her a seat when you don't know 100% that her 8 mos was riding in a ff seat and if she was, that she has a desire to put her in the correct seat. Can she not afford a seat on her own? I'd talk to her first and see what is going on.

If she wants a new seat for her child and simply cannot afford one, I'd start with your local SK coalition or look around and see if there is any other organization that offers free seats. Our coalition gives away tons of free seats and I know many others do as well. In the short run your seat would work perfectly for her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC