Booster Law VIRGINIANS!

Simplysomething

If this belongs in the media section, I'm sorry.

In the paper this morning there was a bit about a proposed new law in VA, to require boosters to age 8.

It passed the Senate, has to go through the House of Delagates.

The article contained to quotes from two republican state senators.

"Why don't we require armored personnel vehicles to transport every child?" asked Sen. Kenneth Cuccinelli, R-Fairfax. "Our parents aren't stupid in Virginia. They're intelligent. They love their children... This is nanny state over-the-top."

I say we write him a few letters explaining WHY this isn't a "nanny state over-the-top" thing. Of course parents LOVE their children, but most still take their children out of seats before they meet actually fit adult seat belts.

"This is not nanny state," said Sen. John Watkins, R-Powhatan. "This is child protection."

Watkins is the sponser of the bill. I'd say Senator Watkins has it correct.

Also from the article:
The bill is expected to face opposition in the House of Delegates later this month.

So, what do we do to try to make sure it passes when it gets to the House of Delagates? It says it faces opposition, we need this law passed. So, my car-seat.org cohorts, let's get moving and figure out who to bother to get it done!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
nanny state, my foot. boosters are a stop gap measure till/if the massive auto lobby can EVER be convinced to make cars that fit children safely... now...how to put that nicely in a letter....?

skaterbabs

tell me about it!! I sent a letter explaining that parents (right or wrong) look to the law to tell them what is safe. We'll see what (if any) response I get.

Simplysomething

What did you put in the letter? I don't want to do a standard form letter...but if we were to all send the appropriate information.

Should we write our own representatives, or throughout the state, what do you think?

We've got to do it quickly.

If nothing else, I want to write something to Mister Nanny State.

But I'm having trouble gathering my thoughts into anything informative-that explains in a concise manner exactly what I think he and everyone else needs to know.

So, what do you guys suggest?

Last edited:

skaterbabs

I don't remember exactly (and forgot to save it) but one of my major points was how difficult it can be convincing parents of the need for boosters since the law says they don't need them after age 6 and that parents (at least with CPS) really do look to the law to tell them what is and is not safe.

Simplysomething

I'm still no closer in drafting anything. lol

Here is the link to the legislation..

Here are the changes proposed.

And here.

My question is this...if the law were to pass the house of delagates--and were enacted by the gov'ner... would it go into effect THIS year or next year?

Who voted which way :
YEAS--Bell, Blevins, Chichester, Colgan, Deeds, Devolites Davis, Edwards, Herring, Houck, Howell, Lambert, Locke, Lucas, Marsh, McDougle, Miller, Norment, Obenshain, O'Brien, Potts, Puckett, Puller, Quayle, Rerras, Reynolds, Saslaw, Stosch, Ticer, Wagner, Wampler, Watkins, Whipple, Williams--33.

NAYS--Cuccinelli, Hanger, Hawkins, Martin, Ruff--5.

RULE 36--0.

NOT VOTING--Newman, Stolle--2.
Don't they generally go into effect July 1?

Patriot, you're one of those people...ya know the ones who are knowledgeable in the area of writing things that are coherent and grammatically correct? Could I enlist your help? Maybe as a proofreader at least? If other folks post their ideas for what to include in the letters?
Please?

ETA link.

Last edited:

skaterbabs

This is awesome wording, I think!

SENATE BILL NO. 1060
AMENDMENT IN THE NATURE OF A SUBSTITUTE
(Proposed by the Senate Committee on Transportation
on January 25, 2007)
(Patrons Prior to Substitute--Senators Watkins and O'Brien [SB 1035])
A BILL to amend and reenact §§ 46.2-1095 and 46.2-1100 of the Code of Virginia, relating to relating to child restraint devices.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That § of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
46.2-1095. Child restraint devices required when transporting certain children; safety belts for other children less than sixteen years old required; penalty.

A. Any person who drives on the highways of Virginia any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, shall ensure that any child, up to age eight, whom he transports therein is provided with and properly secured in a child restraint device of a type which meets the standards adopted by the United States Department of Transportation. Further, rear-facing child restraint devices shall be placed in the back seat of a vehicle. In the event the vehicle does not have a back seat, the child restraint device may be placed in the front passenger seat only if the vehicle is either not equipped with a passenger side airbag or the passenger side airbag has been deactivated.

B. Any person transporting any child less than sixteen years old, except for those required pursuant to subsection A to be secured in a child restraint device, shall ensure that such child is provided with and properly secured by an appropriate safety belt system when driving on the highways of Virginia in any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices.

C. A violation of this section shall not constitute negligence, be considered in mitigation of damages of whatever nature, be admissible in evidence or be the subject of comment by counsel in any action for the recovery of damages in a civil action.

D. A violation of this section may be charged on the uniform traffic summons form.

E. Nothing in this section shall apply to taxicabs, school buses, executive sedans, or limousines.
§ 46.2-1100. Use of standard seat belts permitted for certain children.

The use of a seat belt of the type which is standard equipment shall not violate this article if (i) the affected child is at least four years old but less than eight years old and any physician licensed to practice medicine in the Commonwealth or any other state determines that use of a child restrain system by a particular child would be impractical by reason of the child's weight, physical fitness, or other medical reason, provided that any person transporting a child so exempted shall carry on his person or in the vehicle a signed written statement of the physician identifying the child so exemption and stating the grounds for the determination.

Now to remove the allowances for taxis, exec sedans and limos!

Simplysomething

And notice, it allows for larger children to be out of the booster. So, if your 7 year old really does pass the 5 step test, no worries.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC